• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK PANTHER 2 directed by Ryan Coogler (TBD)
8 8

829 posts in this topic

On 1/3/2023 at 8:32 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I can't believe that DS2 and L&T had larger budgets than No Way Home. Larger budgets for hilariously worse products, that's crazy.

Disney has lost any sense of reasonable budgeting.  Based just on the production costs of the various films, and the cast costs, there is no justification for TLaT and BP2 costing more than NWH.  If both of those movies were $50 to $75 million cheaper, we would be talking about profits, rather than arguing if they broke even.

Ok, saw this last weekend with my two daughters aged 11 and 13. We've seen all the MCU movies to date. You can look at my Avatar and see that I was trying to be open minded but going in with low to no expectations as Sub-Mariner is my favorite character and I was at first not aligning with the decision on the origin story and presentation after waiting so long for that character to be introduced to the MCU. 

We were all in agreement, it was too long. 

Now for me, overall, I agree not as good as the original but better than I was expecting. 

Pretty much hit all the points I was expecting, Shuri becomes the Black Panther, Iron Heart introduced, pretty paint by the numbers there but it was the Sub-Mariner and how they would handle that was my main focus/concern.

While I got over not being from Atlantis, etc., I thought they did a good job portraying him. I was hoping for aligning to the comics with a disdain for the surface world and saw that. He was powerful, a leader to his people and looking out for them. Yes, the final battle was predictable, Wakanda about to be pushed off the edge of the ship but Shuri beats Namor and they hold hands to stop them.  Thought a full assault on Wakanda the first time would have taken care of things but that wouldn't have allowed an MCU ending that happened. I fully see him coming back in FF and aligning with Dr. Doom (FF6 looking at you) and then turning and joining the Avengers, etc. as things progress. 

Assume the son will become Black Panther down the road and not sure if there will be an BP3 but look forward to the evolution of Namor. 

On 1/17/2023 at 10:19 AM, Jaydogrules said:

That'll do next to nothing for wakanda forver but could add another 50M or so to Ant-man...

-J.

I’m surprised that Black Panther will get a debut at all in that market.  China has traditionally denied domestic release of any film depicting an afterlife.  One of the rare exceptions was Disney’s Coco with the justification that the depicted afterlife focused on honoring one’s ancestors.  

I doooooooon’t know if Shuri meeting up with her half brother debating vengeance falls into that same category as Coco. 

On 1/17/2023 at 11:50 AM, Buzzetta said:

I doooooooon’t know if Shuri meeting up with her half brother debating vengeance falls into that same category as Coco. 

The first Black Panther played in China, right? T'Challa debated his ancestors in that one, though the subject wasn't vengeance.

On 1/17/2023 at 11:55 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

The first Black Panther played in China, right? T'Challa debated his ancestors in that one, though the subject wasn't vengeance.

Dunno to be honest.    After typing this, maybe Disney paid someone off. 

Here is the Forbes article from a few years ago as to why Coco was a big deal.  It also lists the movie code that China wants film makers to adhere to in order to be shown in China.  Perhaps they cut a scene or two from Black Panther? 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain/2017/11/27/how-coco-got-all-those-ghosts-past-chinas-superstition-hating-censors/?sh=7255310420b0

Section 4: (4)  Showing contents of murder, violence, terror, ghosts and the supernatural; distorting value judgment between truth and lies, good and evil, beauty and ugliness, righteous and unrighteous; showing deliberate expressions of remorselessness in committing crimes; showing specific details of criminal behaviours; exposing special investigation methods; showing content which evokes excitement from murder, bloodiness, violence, drug abuse and gambling; showing scenes of mistreating prisoners, torturing criminals or suspects; containing excessively horror scenes, dialogues, background music and sound effects;

Movies that were banned due to ghosts and the supernatural:

The censors have applied paragraph 4’s prohibition against ghosts to virtually eliminate spirits and supernatural elements from Chinese films, and to ban such foreign movies as Frankenstein (“superstitious,” “strange,” and “unscientific”), Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (“swarming with ghosts”), Crimson Peak (“ghosts and supernatural elements”) and Ghostbusters.

On 1/17/2023 at 8:50 AM, Buzzetta said:

I’m surprised that Black Panther will get a debut at all in that market.  China has traditionally denied domestic release of any film depicting an afterlife.  One of the rare exceptions was Disney’s Coco with the justification that the depicted afterlife focused on honoring one’s ancestors.  

They've probably chopped the movie up to satisfy the censors there.  

To what avail , I'm not sure.  The movie is going to make very little there.  I can't even imagine that Disney will actually make any money from the country what with the terrible splits, marketing and distribution costs  there after all is said and done.  Disney probably threw this one in for free to get them to take Ant-man. 

My gut tells me this is just a sad face saving attempt to try to pump up the disappointing final box office number just a little more, even if they lose money there in the end.  

What a dumb, pointless movie this was. 

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

Hard to imagine BP2 does much business in China given it will have been out for 3 months before landing there; Jungle Cruise was released in China 3 1/2 months after US and did a grand total of $7M. I guess we'll see.

Did manage to pass $450M US

image.png.cfe55db60a26cf2ab63c2d1b41986d69.png

Edited by paperheart

On 1/18/2023 at 6:49 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

After replying to you, that's what crossed my mind. It's common for Disney to edit scenes out in order for movies to be played internationally.

You know any scene with even a hint of same sex relations has been removed. Because, you know Disney is so supportive of the LGBTQ+ community (when will people realize their support is only about business and public perception, not genuine). I would be shocked if this movie performs well in China, given the time from initial release, and the racial and ethnic makeup of the cast.  This is the same country that has removed or reduced black characters from posters, and covered Chadwick Boseman's face for the advertising on the first film (again Disney standing strong for their beliefs).

On 1/17/2023 at 6:02 PM, paperheart said:

Hard to imagine BP2 does much business in China given it will have been out for 3 months before landing there; Jungle Cruise was released in China 3 1/2 months after US and did a grand total of $7M. I guess we'll see.

Did manage to pass $450M US

image.png.cfe55db60a26cf2ab63c2d1b41986d69.png

This might be one of the most hilariously delusional cope articles by a fanboi of a failed movie that I have ever seen.  :roflmao:

I mean, does this even qualify as "journalism"?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2023/01/20/black-panther-wakanda-forever-gets-new-shot-at-1-billion-in-china-release/amp/

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 1/24/2023 at 4:33 PM, Jaydogrules said:

This might be one of the most hilariously delusional cope articles by a fanboi of a failed movie that I have ever seen.  :roflmao:

I mean, does this even qualify as "journalism"?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2023/01/20/black-panther-wakanda-forever-gets-new-shot-at-1-billion-in-china-release/amp/

-J.

and the 'Oscar season expansion' lol; Angela Bassett's family might show up