• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage BP increasing

147 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, telerites said:

Reminds me of pro sports, particularly the NFL.  People complain about rising ticket prices, games are too long, too much or too little protection of the players, controversies with domestic violence, PEDs, kneeling during the anthem, concussion lawsuits, etc.  Yet fans continue to go, buy tickets, concessions, et. al.

They do it because they can and don't fear losing their customers and he owners are the big winners.

NFL television ratings are down, though, so maybe some of those things are catching up with them. 

Does Heritage have the clientele to really draw bids that are that much higher than the competition (CC, CL) that would potentially offset that higher BP and (sometimes SP)? Especially with most bidders factoring the BP into their top bids already. As a potential seller I sometimes wonder about this.

5 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Not to mention sales tax we have to pay if you live in certain states (CA for me).  Just keeps adding up.  

Don't know why you guys sound like you're blaming Heritage for imposing state sales tax, since they're just following the law.  Why don't you guys instead vote to reduce your state's sales tax, or vote with your feet by moving to a state with low or no sales tax?

3 hours ago, archiefan said:

Does Heritage have the clientele to really draw bids that are that much higher than the competition (CC, CL) that would potentially offset that higher BP and (sometimes SP)? Especially with most bidders factoring the BP into their top bids already. As a potential seller I sometimes wonder about this.

Just compare the prices of the Berk books that have been resold on Heritage against their sale price on CC, and the answer will be clear.

9 hours ago, tth2 said:

Don't know why you guys sound like you're blaming Heritage for imposing state sales tax, since they're just following the law.  Why don't you guys instead vote to reduce your state's sales tax, or vote with your feet by moving to a state with low or no sales tax?

After Googling this, I was surprised to find that there actually are five states with no sales tax:  Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon.

Me:  Honey, I think we should move to Alaska.

Wife:  Why?

Me:  Do you realize how much I'd save bidding on Heritage?

Wife:  Did you include the legal fees for the divorce in that estimate? 

13 hours ago, archiefan said:

Interesting question.  I've had good and bad auction results with all three sites.  I've leaned towards Heritage lately because I think their results (even for their Sunday auctions) have typically been very strong. 

9 hours ago, tth2 said:

Just compare the prices of the Berk books that have been resold on Heritage against their sale price on CC, and the answer will be clear.

I actually haven't followed these books closely enough to make the comparison.  Are you saying the books sold for more on resale on Heritage than they originally sold for in the CC auction?

43 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

After Googling this, I was surprised to find that there actually are five states with no sales tax:  Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon.

Me:  Honey, I think we should move to Alaska.

Wife:  Why?

Me:  Do you realize how much I'd save bidding on Heritage?

Wife:  Did you include the legal fees for the divorce in that estimate? 

If you're declaring income from comic sales, as anyone bringing in more than a few bucks here and there surely is, then you can apply to HA for a reseller's certificate.  With that on file, no sales tax charged.

6 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I actually haven't followed these books closely enough to make the comparison.  Are you saying the books sold for more on resale on Heritage than they originally sold for in the CC auction?

With very few exceptions, resales of the Berk books since the CC auction have yielded higher results.  This is likely due, at least in part, to the fact that the CC auction sold the entire collection at once.  Some books got overlooked in the frenzy and some buyers simply ran out of money.  The books were easier to target when they later came up for sale individually.

On 6/10/2018 at 2:51 PM, RareHighGrade said:
On 6/10/2018 at 7:54 AM, Sqeggs said:

With very few exceptions, resales of the Berk books since the CC auction have yielded higher results.  This is likely due, at least in part, to the fact that the CC auction sold the entire collection at once.  Some books got overlooked in the frenzy and some buyers simply ran out of money.  The books were easier to target when they later came up for sale individually.

+1

This would definitely be the main reason why the resale of Berk books are going for more money than when they were originally auctioned off on CC all in one shot.  (thumbsu

From my own personal point of view, I know for sure that I would have bid higher on most of the Berk books if there were not so many other ones available at the same time.  Definitely easy to hold back on the bids since there were just so many other beautiful books to bid on and hopefully one of them would have fallen through the cracks and right onto your lap.

On 6/9/2018 at 9:56 PM, tth2 said:
On 6/9/2018 at 6:35 PM, archiefan said:

Well, as I stated in my previous post above, I don't believe the initial auctioning of the Jon Berk books on CC is a very reasonable or fair comparison.

Now, if I had been the consignor of this Wonderworld 7 on Heritage back in August of last year, I would not have been too happy since I would have receive slightly less than $11K after all of the fees had been paid to Heritage:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/wonderworld-comics-7-fox-1939-cgc-vf-80-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7166-91162.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-071515&tab=ArchiveSearchResults-012417

Especially when I could have pocketed over $20K after fees for the exact same copy of Wonderworld 7 when it was auctioned off on CC only a few short months later:

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=758840

I am quite sure everybody can find examples that works both ways, but a whopping 35% for Heritage is certainly a lot of room to make up as compared to just 10% for either CC or CL.  hm

11 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I am quite sure everybody can find examples that works both ways, but a whopping 35% for Heritage is certainly a lot of room to make up as compared to just 10% for either CC or CL.  hm

I'm really doubtful that anyone pays 35% to Heritage.  If you're such a small fish with such nondescript books that you can't get some kind of deal, I don't understand why you'd sell on Heritage in the first place.   

17 minutes ago, tth2 said:

I'm really doubtful that anyone pays 35% to Heritage.  If you're such a small fish with such nondescript books that you can't get some kind of deal, I don't understand why you'd sell on Heritage in the first place.   

This. I consign through a friend and the Heritage fees end up nowhere close to those numbers. For what I actually pay they are a better option than Clink or CC.

2 hours ago, october said:
2 hours ago, tth2 said:

This. I consign through a friend and the Heritage fees end up nowhere close to those numbers. For what I actually pay they are a better option than Clink or CC.

That's a surprise and is certainly good to know.

Sounds as though Heritage will than give almost all of the now 20% BP plus a good chunk of their standard 15% SP back to the consignor in order to get the fees into the same ballpark as the standard 10% that both CC and CL apparently charges.  (thumbsu

The only question I have is why do you bother to go through the hassle of consigning through a friend when Heritage can give you these same monies directly?  ???

47 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Sounds as though Heritage will than give almost all of the now 20% BP plus a good chunk of their standard 15% SP back to the consignor in order to get the fees into the same ballpark as the standard 10% that both CC and CL apparently charges.  (thumbsu

The only question I have is why do you bother to go through the hassle of consigning through a friend when Heritage can give you these same monies directly?  ???

Because they don't "just give it to you". You need to hit a very large minimum dollar submission every year to qualify for this type of discount. I help him with hitting that minimum, he helps me with reduced fees. If I tried to get that break on my own they would tell me to pound sand. 

On 6/9/2018 at 12:19 PM, telerites said:

Reminds me of pro sports, particularly the NFL.  People complain about rising ticket prices, games are too long, too much or too little protection of the players, controversies with domestic violence, PEDs, kneeling during the anthem, concussion lawsuits, etc.  Yet fans continue to go, buy tickets, concessions, et. al.

They do it because they can and don't fear losing their customers and he owners are the big winners.

Kinda like how people have person_without_enough_empathyed about CGC for the last 18 years and still continue to sub comics to them.

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Sounds as though Heritage will than give almost all of the now 20% BP plus a good chunk of their standard 15% SP back to the consignor in order to get the fees into the same ballpark as the standard 10% that both CC and CL apparently charges.

I don't think Heritage would cut a deal on the buyer's premium side (19.5% going to 20% BP)

Has anyone ever gotten or know of someone who got a "deal" on a BUYER'S premium at Heritage?

The seller's premium seems to be the negotiable side depending on value, quality and amount of consignments (present and future - same value & quality parameters still factoring in)

That (lower the 15% SP) would bring it more in line with Comic Connect and Link on the "right" stuff.

Edited by DanCooper

1 hour ago, october said:
2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Because they don't "just give it to you". You need to hit a very large minimum dollar submission every year to qualify for this type of discount. I help him with hitting that minimum, he helps me with reduced fees. If I tried to get that break on my own they would tell me to pound sand. 

Well, now this is a completely different scenario then and almost like comparing apples and oranges.

So, unless you are a big time collector and ongoing consignor like Tim who deals in high 5-figure books, other BSD's who deals in 6-figure books, or hook up with one of these guys, you really are back to your hopeful 25% to 35% fees versus your standard 10% fees for both CC and CL. 

Sounds to me that if you are a collector sitting on say, $1M or $2M worth of vintage books in your collection, you will most likely have to sell it all in one or two shots on their terms if you want to get the Heritage fees back down to a reasonable level.  Now, if you wanted to dispose of your collection on your own terms over an extended number of years, then you are most probably out of luck if you go with Heritage.

Sounds to me like a long term collector would still be better off if they didn't want to cash it all out in one shot, and simply go with either CC or CL and parcel out their collection at their own desired pace.  Especially since any additional monies they might have gain from the higher profile and longer reach of the immediate Heritage listings would most likely not make up for the fact that your better books would hopefully increase enough in value over the years to make up any difference by the time you do decide to sell them.  hm

2 minutes ago, szavisca said:

I know someone who got what Heritage called a negative 5% sellers premium... basically taking away 5% of the buyers premium and giving it to the consignor... so effectively his rate was 14.5%. 

Interesting. Thank you for the info.

But, I assume, the person had something consigned in the auction or negotiated with Heritage at the time of a past consignment(s)?

I'm wondering if Heritage gives buyer's premium discounts to straight out buyer's only (no consignments involved) like some of their big, steady buyers? (would be logical if happens)

Thanks again (thumbsu