• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doctor Strange 2 announced.
7 7

1,008 posts in this topic

Budget is now estimated to be anywhere from $175M (original cost before pandemic) to $225M (accounting for all the reshoots and marketing relaunch.

Marvel’s ‘Doctor Strange 2’ Must Reassert Walt Disney’s Box Office Strength

Conversely, if the film “only” plays as Doctor Strange 2 and the bump is closer to Ant-Man and the Wasp ($620 million versus $519 million for Ant-Man) or Iron Man 2 ($623 million versus $585 million for Iron Man) and the film doesn’t get an otherwise-expected $100 million from China (since we’re pretty much at the point of having to write off the previously massive supplemental territory), then the film might “only” earn between and $620 million and $715 million. And in a vacuum, especially with still-lingering Covid concerns and (presumably) a $175-$225 million budget, that would be mostly okay presuming decent reviews and strong consumer approval. However, fair or not, there is some pressure to again show that the MCU, specifically Disney’s films contained wherein, remains the most dominant franchise in Hollywood. Because that hasn’t been the case of late.

Do I post my thoughts here or in spoiler thread!? Just my comments on whether I liked it

Spoiler

I saw it last night (my time zone) and found it very underwhelming - probably around Black Widow quality as someone mentioned earlier

That is just my opinion though!

Edited by MV
adding spoiler

This film is definitely showing how stats compilated the way Rotten Tomatoes does definitely gives mediocre films and edge. I have yet to read any review stating that this film is amazing, most are saying it's fine. it's another marvel film, not bad at all but not amazing. And that's all you ned when your stat is based on a binary comment. 80% of people have clamed the film to be ok (or "not bad" or "good" or "fine" ect), so the film gets 80% even though the average grade given would be about 60-65%. 

On 5/4/2022 at 7:15 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'll be in love if it's truly as horrific as some are suggesting. Doubt that it's "not for children" at PG-13, though.

I love fusing the comic book genre with horror. Probably my two favorite movie genres.

From what I heard it isn't scary at all. Young kids have been at showings and there have been no reports of parents having to exit (unlike with films like Batman Returns).

On 5/4/2022 at 5:36 PM, William-James88 said:

This film is definitely showing how stats compilated the way Rotten Tomatoes does definitely gives mediocre films and edge. I have yet to read any review stating that this film is amazing, most are saying it's fine. it's another marvel film, not bad at all but not amazing. And that's all you ned when your stat is based on a binary comment. 80% of people have clamed the film to be ok (or "not bad" or "good" or "fine" ect), so the film gets 80% even though the average grade given would be about 60-65%. 

From what I heard it isn't scary at all. Young kids have been at showings and there have been no reports of parents having to exit (unlike with films like Batman Returns).

Rotten Tomatoes has only two categories, with no middle ground.

• Fresh
  • Rotten

You are on the nose how it can give an edge to any mediocre film if the general critic opinion is "Well it was okay" so therefore they don't note it as rotten.

While confirming that the film's official runtime is 2 hours and 6 minutes, Raimi shared that the sequel's first cut was "probably like two hours and 40 minutes" before post-production editing significantly reduced the sequel's runtime by over half an hour to just over two hours:

"Well, the first cut was... I actually don’t remember the length of it. It was probably like two hours and 40 minutes, and it slowly came down even though we did the reshoots. We took out material even though the reshoots went in. So, it slowly got down to about two hours and five minutes is the total."

On 5/4/2022 at 5:36 PM, William-James88 said:

(unlike with films like Batman Returns).

Funny you mention .... my nephew LOVED the first two, but with "Batman and Robin", at age 6, he was, "Uncle Jim, I want to leave !" It was a little edgy for what they compared to the 60's TV show. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 5/5/2022 at 8:59 AM, jimjum12 said:

Funny you mention .... my nephew LOVED the first two, but with "Batman and Robin", at age 6, he was, "Uncle Jim, I want to leave !" It was a little edgy for what they compared to the 60's TV show. GOD BLESS....

I'm thinking your nephew simply has good taste and couldn't stomache Batman and Robin ;)

I am thinking  Mother's day weekend may not be the best to open on.  It should not effect Friday and Saturday sales, but I could see it hurting the Sunday returns. I know it is stopping me from being able to go this weekend.

Edited by drotto

On 5/5/2022 at 8:59 AM, jimjum12 said:

I don't blame him, bobble head Clooney is the stuff of nightmares.

On 5/4/2022 at 5:02 PM, MV said:

Do I post my thoughts here or in spoiler thread!? Just my comments on whether I liked it

Reveal hidden contents

I saw it last night (my time zone) and found it very underwhelming - probably around Black Widow quality as someone mentioned earlier

I agree

Spoiler

To much madness... Hardly any Multiverse

On 5/5/2022 at 4:58 PM, Ares said:
On 5/4/2022 at 4:02 PM, MV said:

Hide contents

Expand  

I agree

Hide contents

To much madness... Hardly any Multiverse

Call me salt of the earth but

Spoiler

The amount of blatant symbolism made it hard for me to enjoy. Even the good guy is willing to go down the rabbit hole as far as it takes, until it's not. Maybe I'm too sensitive or aware of it, but snap, it was hard to enjoy

I yawned a couple of times, the person I was with was like stop that!

On 5/4/2022 at 4:02 PM, MV said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Black Widow quality? That's like saying it's as fun as herpes.

But does Doctor Strange 2 have

black-widow.gif.3eea3a2b7c2e669a4f15dcb0d16f948f.gif

https://deadline.com/2022/05/doctor-strange-in-the-multiverse-of-madness-opening-international-box-office-1235016822/

"Disney/Marvel’s Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness began offshore release on Wednesday in 20 markets and is already doing some crazy numbers. With $27.2M through yesterday, the first-day overall results are only 4% below Spider-Man: No Way Home and a staggering 153% ahead of the original 2016 Doctor Strange, as well as 210% ahead of The Batman on a like-for-like basis at today’s rates."

Another $200M DOM OW?

c%E1%BB%A5c-n%E1%BB%8Dng-ba-b%C3%A9o-dil

Edited by Chaos_in_Canada