• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doctor Strange 2 announced.
7 7

1,008 posts in this topic

On 5/14/2022 at 7:44 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

My son got home from college this week and he asked my daughter if he should see it, and she said don't bother.  I think there's a lot of that.  When you know it will eventually show up on Disney+, the urgency isn't there unless people are telling you it's must-see.  Which (IMHO) this movie definitely isn't.

Agreed and this is going to be an interesting question for studios going forward. I asked my kids (16 and just turned 18) if they wanted to go and they said no, they would wait for it to come out on D+ right away. As a result, I am going with some fellow boardies to see it. It is beginning to look like the future will be more releases on the big screen with shorter run windows to recover production costs and hopefully turn a profit, then a quick add to streaming to maintain subscriber bases. 

There may be a faster transition from theatre to streaming than I thought there would be as new generations grow up with on demand consumption of content via streaming. What will be cool will be moving from a screen to AR/VR headsets.

Edited by kimik

I think we'll increasingly see 6-week theatrical windows - and that's it.

Long gone are the days of 6+ month runs of the 1980s & '90s (Beverly Hills Cop, Ghostbusters, even Titanic).

When I was a kid films wouldn't hit VHS until 3-6 months after they left theaters.

Now, you can count on a film to hit Redbox or streaming in as little as 9 weeks after opening day.

Hell, The Batman hit streaming 6.5 weeks after opening day.

vs. 15 years ago, The Dark Knight was still the # 3 movie in theaters in its 7th week, and ran for 33 weeks (7+ months).

Totally different world.

On 5/15/2022 at 8:00 AM, Bosco685 said:

To reiterate- This C list character in a decidedly "whatever" movie has nearly made in two weekends, what the unequivocal #1 DC character made in the "Best Batman Eva"  in two months.  

If Marvel has "lost its way" with this bona-fide Batman crushing blockbuster, what does that say about the state of DC, and comic book movies in general?

-J.

On 5/15/2022 at 7:34 PM, Jaydogrules said:

To reiterate- This C list character in a decidedly "whatever" movie has nearly made in two weekends, what the unequivocal #1 DC character made in the "Best Batman Eva"  in two months.  

If Marvel has "lost its way" with this bona-fide Batman crushing blockbuster, what does that say about the state of DC, and comic book movies in general?

-J.

goochy.gif.ce809157b258d3224ed020610ca1d6f8.gif

So after 10 days of release,

Dr. Strange 2 ($292,615,327 DOM TOTAL) is $7.7M ahead of Iron Man 3 ($284,946,699, $409 DOM TOTAL),

but $3.3M behind Captain America 3 ($295,966,220, $408 DOM TOTAL).

$400M Final DOM TOTAL for DS2??

ohmyzod.png

Edited by Chaos_in_Canada

Ok, I went and saw this movie today.  12:30pm showing, I was the only one in the theater.

This movie straight up s.u.c.k.e.d.  It had some pretty CGI in spots, but this was not a Dr. Strange movie.  At best he was a supporting character, this was a full on Scarlett Witch movie.  I have to say I was not a fan of the "message" that was being pushed by this movie.

Other than some of the special effects I cannot name one good thing about it, but I have many complaints.

I could not in good faith recommend this movie to anyone.

On 5/17/2022 at 6:03 PM, media_junkie said:

Ok, I went and saw this movie today.  12:30pm showing, I was the only one in the theater.

This movie straight up s.u.c.k.e.d.  It had some pretty CGI in spots, but this was not a Dr. Strange movie.  At best he was a supporting character, this was a full on Scarlett Witch movie.  I have to say I was not a fan of the "message" that was being pushed by this movie.

Other than some of the special effects I cannot name one good thing about it, but I have many complaints.

I could not in good faith recommend this movie to anyone.

On 5/16/2022 at 5:40 PM, Chaos_in_Canada said:

ohmyzod.png

:shiftyeyes:

On 5/17/2022 at 6:03 PM, media_junkie said:

I have to say I was not a fan of the "message" that was being pushed by this movie.

What message do you dislike? 

On 5/17/2022 at 11:04 AM, Larryw7 said:

So after all of the crying, this movie will make nearly the same amount as The Batman.

This movie (featuring nothing but C and D list characters) will make more in 3 weekends than what Batman (featuring DC's #1 A lister) made in over two months.  

And it will do it without China and Russia.

#Bat-meh

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 5/17/2022 at 1:04 PM, Larryw7 said:

So after all of the crying, this movie will make nearly the same amount as The Batman.

it will finish at least 100m ahead of the batman, don't you think?   and, again, i prefer the batman.

On 5/18/2022 at 2:54 AM, The Meta said:

The dead should be allowed to rest. Taking over a dead body is life enabling

Wanda also appears to "take over" living people in other universes, which was one of the primary criticisms of Wonder Woman 1984 as we may recall.

As an aside, I would also note I'm not a fan of the whole "zombie" genre in general.  The stories are all pretty much the same.  DS-2 is better in that the same old thing isn't what happens.

Edited by MattTheDuck

On 5/18/2022 at 11:25 AM, MattTheDuck said:

Wanda also appears to "take over" living people in other universes, which was one of the primary criticisms of Wonder Woman 1984 as we may recall.

I can't 

Didn't see it lol