• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doctor Strange 2 announced.
7 7

1,008 posts in this topic

On 5/18/2022 at 5:50 AM, TupennyConan said:

What message do you dislike? 

Yeah, I'm not really going to post the "message" that IMO the film is pushing because I don't want to get into a big ho-ha and derail the thread.

On 5/18/2022 at 11:55 AM, Jaydogrules said:

This movie (featuring nothing but C and D list characters) will make more in 3 weekends than what Batman (featuring DC's #1 A lister) made in over two months.  

And it will do it without China and Russia.

#Bat-meh

-J.

So what? Dr. Strange is frontloaded, but in the end the results are very similar. And after his own feature film, two Avengers movies, and a big part in the last Spidey movie, you can't call Strange a "C" lister anymore. Plus all the cameos and tie ins to other movies and TV shows. The fan base rushed to Dr. Strange but its legs fell on the second weekend. Batman had steady business for a month. It doesn't matter what film makes money the fastest. The end results are what matters.

On 5/18/2022 at 12:47 PM, Straw-Man said:

it will finish at least 100m ahead of the batman, don't you think?   and, again, i prefer the batman.

Certainly not domestically.

On 5/18/2022 at 4:25 PM, Larryw7 said:

So what? Dr. Strange is frontloaded, but in the end the results are very similar. And after his own feature film, two Avengers movies, and a big part in the last Spidey movie, you can't call Strange a "C" lister anymore. Plus all the cameos and tie ins to other movies and TV shows. The fan base rushed to Dr. Strange but its legs fell on the second weekend. Batman had steady business for a month. It doesn't matter what film makes money the fastest. The end results are what matters.

In the end this movie will make in 3 weekends what Batman made in over 2 months , without the benefit of 2 major markets that batman had.  And then it will continue to make money several weeks after that.  This will make 100-200MM more than batman did.  Nobody cares if the money was made on the front , the middle or the back, because that's irrelevant.  The fact that Marvel, by your own words, has elevated Strange to a higher profile than Batman, is just as much a testament to the marketing power of Disney, as it is an indictment of whatever it is Warner has been trying to do.

-J.

On 5/18/2022 at 7:34 PM, Jaydogrules said:

In the end this movie will make in 3 weekends what Batman made in over 2 months , without the benefit of 2 major markets that batman had.  And then it will continue to make money several weeks after that.  This will make 100-200MM more than batman did.  Nobody cares if the money was made on the front , the middle or the back, because that's irrelevant.  The fact that Marvel, by your own words, has elevated Strange to a higher profile than Batman, is just as much a testament to the marketing power of Disney, as it is an indictment of whatever it is Warner has been trying to do.

-J.

It's marketing power but it's also the highly successful strategy of creating an interwoven universe spanning both movies and TV that makes fans believe every movie is must-see or the next movie won't make sense.

I'm a huge Marvel guy, and in general I love the MCU, but there are definitely some movies (including this one) that I thought were weak.  And yet, there I was opening weekend watching every single one.

Over at DC/Warner, literally every movie feels like a reboot.  Nothing ties to anything else.  Hell, they have had something like four different Jokers in the last however many years.  Since I'm not a DC fan and I always felt that DC's "universe" was a steaming hot mess anyway, I personally don't care.  Every one of these stories can stand on their own.  But there's no question that DC/Warner have utterly failed to make their movies must-see, appointment viewing because there is no larger story arc and therefore no lasting "stakes" for anything that happens in the movie.

(And yes, I realize that Marvel's "multiverse" concept completely drains the stakes of everything they do from here on out ... it will be interesting to see if it backfires on them as fans realize the studio can just do whatever the hell they want and they don't have to try to make it make sense any more.)

On 5/18/2022 at 5:27 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

It's marketing power but it's also the highly successful strategy of creating an interwoven universe spanning both movies and TV that makes fans believe every movie is must-see or the next movie won't make sense.

I'm a huge Marvel guy, and in general I love the MCU, but there are definitely some movies (including this one) that I thought were weak.  And yet, there I was opening weekend watching every single one.

Over at DC/Warner, literally every movie feels like a reboot.  Nothing ties to anything else.  Hell, they have had something like four different Jokers in the last however many years.  Since I'm not a DC fan and I always felt that DC's "universe" was a steaming hot mess anyway, I personally don't care.  Every one of these stories can stand on their own.  But there's no question that DC/Warner have utterly failed to make their movies must-see, appointment viewing because there is no larger story arc and therefore no lasting "stakes" for anything that happens in the movie.

(And yes, I realize that Marvel's "multiverse" concept completely drains the stakes of everything they do from here on out ... it will be interesting to see if it backfires on them as fans realize the studio can just do whatever the hell they want and they don't have to try to make it make sense any more.)

I agree with everything you just said.  

-J.

This is something I didn't expect to see, DS has a universal rating across the age groups... with a few proviso's

a. under 18's don't seem to use IMDB ... (I ran High School Musical 2, next to no kids voting).

b. under 18's frankly weren't interested in the film outright (?)

c. Under 18's are in the numbers, but have a higher declared age, so they can watch R18 trailers, etc. (?)

Men of all ages loved it.  But it's failed to interest woman.  The test will be how the rating stacks up over time.   We are missing the crucial market feedback from the under 18's, and they are the zeitgeist for popular culture pass or fail... typically.

image.thumb.png.93153fde4e59eae9e2c0241805969b38.png

Now for The Batman.  proviso's...

a. I didn't like the actor at all, or a non Nolan entry, but ended loving the film exceedingly.

b. DC are striking a clear path away from Marvel in the tone, and look of their movies.

A powerful and clear favourite with men, universally rating the film highly, you couldn't ask for a better voting profile.

image.thumb.png.1d50f55578ae8750c245158705e60149.png

Looking at votes cast once DS has been out as long as the Batman for a more accurate comparison would be best.

On 5/18/2022 at 7:34 PM, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

If the movie is projected to make 380-390 million at the domestic box office, and Batman has made 370 million, how is that a much bigger success? Like I said,  Strange performed like a sequel in that it was front loaded, The Batman performed differently. New cast, new director, no ties to other movies. Both did fine. I don't even really understand why we're arguing. As far as the Chinese market is concerned, the CCP had Shanghai in a tyrannical shutdown when Batman came out, and I doubt that the Russians were ready to rush to the movies as their country went to war because of their crazed leader.

On 5/18/2022 at 9:43 PM, Microchip said:

We are missing the crucial market feedback from the under 18's, and they are the zeitgeist for popular culture pass or fail... typically.

based on my intensive research of the under 18s, in other words, one person, my 16 year old niece, they are incapable of paying deep attention to anything that requires an attention span over ten minutes, as that is how long they are able to not look at their phones. 

the ideal movie to attract them would have a bunch of short scenes with alot of action that are semi connected but don't really require much deep understanding of plot, etc.  and it should look good on a phone since that's how they'll all be watching it too. 

On 5/19/2022 at 10:04 AM, alexgross.com said:

based on my intensive research of the under 18s, in other words, one person, my 16 year old niece, they are incapable of paying deep attention to anything that requires an attention span over ten minutes, as that is how long they are able to not look at their phones. 

the ideal movie to attract them would have a bunch of short scenes with alot of action that are semi connected but don't really require much deep understanding of plot, etc.  and it should look good on a phone since that's how they'll all be watching it too. 

You're the new Awesome-O.  You just nailed the formula for the next generation of "cinema".  

On 5/18/2022 at 6:25 PM, Larryw7 said:

lar loves him some d.c.    and i say keep up the good work! 

Edited by Straw-Man