• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,725 posts in this topic

On 10/13/2021 at 11:41 AM, ganni said:

@Get Marwood & I

We lived in the time of UFO, Tom Baker Doctor Who, Space 1999, CI5 the Professionals.....

We lived in the time of the Marvel Comics Group,,,:cloud9:

Don't forget Catweazle :cloud9:

On 10/13/2021 at 4:41 AM, ganni said:

@Get Marwood & I

We lived in the time of UFO, Tom Baker Doctor Who, Space 1999, CI5 the Professionals.....

We lived in the time of the Marvel Comics Group,,,:cloud9:

It's oh-so appropriate to me that you mentioned Dr. Who, because I was thinking about WHO (see what I did there?) is "your" Spidey artist... or who is anyone's favorite artist of a title? Is it the artist that was drawing the title when you came aboard as a reader? Or is someone who took over the book a little later that stayed on & changed the look & feel of the book to whatever degree that resonated with you?

I have that same feeling with Dr. Who. Depending upon when you first tuned in - everyone has 'their' good Doctor. For me, it's Tom Baker for sure! Not that I don't love Tennant or Smith or some of the other actors too! Andru was the artist when I first was able to collect Spidey off the stands. His art resonates with me, from the Peter Parker character stuff to the cityscapes to the action. I really love both Romita's work and of course Ditko too. But Andru has a special place in my Spidey heart.

On 10/13/2021 at 4:14 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I applaud the sentiment Ganni, but the reality is that his name rarely features in any lists discussing the greatest. His work is underrated, I think, especially in respect of how he used the real world as his backdrop, but for me his legacy is just that he was doing Spidey when it mattered the most to me, and in a manner that perfectly suited the medium as it was, at its very best time. Comics today are technically superior in almost every respect. But they lack charm. They lack innocence. They lack consistency. And with their relentless reboots, variants, title over production, high cover prices and lack of high street availability, they have become virtually uncollectable. 

We lived through the golden age though, didn't we.

:tink: (no need for a bunch of words, you captured my thoughts perfectly)

On 10/13/2021 at 2:54 PM, HighVoltage said:

It's oh-so appropriate to me that you mentioned Dr. Who, because I was thinking about WHO (see what I did there?) is "your" Spidey artist... or who is anyone's favorite artist of a title? Is it the artist that was drawing the title when you came aboard as a reader? Or is someone who took over the book a little later that stayed on & changed the look & feel of the book to whatever degree that resonated with you?

I have that same feeling with Dr. Who. Depending upon when you first tuned in - everyone has 'their' good Doctor. For me, it's Tom Baker for sure! Not that I don't love Tennant or Smith or some of the other actors too! Andru was the artist when I first was able to collect Spidey off the stands. His art resonates with me, from the Peter Parker character stuff to the cityscapes to the action. I really love both Romita's work and of course Ditko too. But Andru has a special place in my Spidey heart.

Well said. Nostalgia plays a big part in these things I find, the recollection of happy times when we weren't bogged down with all those adult pressures to come. 

Comics and Doctor Who have similarities in as much as they were both so different back then to what they are now. You can have great stuff now though I think, the best even, as Capaldi has proven in my mind. Tom Baker is the Doctor for many of a certain age and that seven year stint left a big impression on me. He is the best of the first wave by a country mile. But Peter Capaldi is the Doctor.

On 10/11/2021 at 5:21 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Wow, just checked, I haven't bought an issue of Spider-Man in twelve years.  Where the hell did that time go?

Me neither so next time I see a new issue on the stands I am going to buy it , for old times sake😷👍‼️

On 10/11/2021 at 5:53 PM, Spider-Variant said:

This thread needs some new material.

Ok, how about a few examples of Ross's real life ASM references that carried over to his work after he left.

Here is one I found today.   USS Maine Monument, Central Park, NYC

Which do you like better?  I actually think that Vigilante panel has more detail.

image.thumb.png.357d93feac1654f3c2ae3312959dc16b.png

image.png.c1fa068c1ae362daac6ffc8012a5fb8c.png

USS Maine monument is awesome‼️😷 I had never see it before

Here's another Xerox from the collection of Dave Hunt, who started inking backgrounds on the Amazing Spider-Man with issue 127 and going to issue 170. Pencils by Ross with main inks by Frank Giacoia on this page.

Here it appears Dave actually made the Xerox before he did any work on the page. The letterer had finished, although some alterations were made there, with the "Green Goblin Will!!" getting some enhancements on that last panel.

ASM 127 was low on my list of favorites from the Ross Andru run. The new Vulture just didn't work for me at all. I typically love Frank's inks on Ross, but this issue didn't click for me in that department either.

I also posted a pic of the finished page taken from my Ross Andru Artist's Edition (really love this book).

245903282_10223650455868163_316862529318964092_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=EKjNWp6GaHcAX9vnMUr&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=9ff2f3ff359d5e046c817191af545641&oe=61941C8B

May be an illustration of 1 person

On 10/18/2021 at 5:24 AM, Spider-Variant said:

Here's another Xerox from the collection of Dave Hunt, who started inking backgrounds on the Amazing Spider-Man with issue 127 and going to issue 170. Pencils by Ross with main inks by Frank Giacoia on this page.

Here it appears Dave actually made the Xerox before he did any work on the page. The letterer had finished, although some alterations were made there, with the "Green Goblin Will!!" getting some enhancements on that last panel.

ASM 127 was low on my list of favorites from the Ross Andru run. The new Vulture just didn't work for me at all. I typically love Frank's inks on Ross, but this issue didn't click for me in that department either.

I also posted a pic of the finished page taken from my Ross Andru Artist's Edition (really love this book).

245903282_10223650455868163_316862529318964092_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=EKjNWp6GaHcAX9vnMUr&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=9ff2f3ff359d5e046c817191af545641&oe=61941C8B

May be an illustration of 1 person

SKREEEE :)

Nicely done Reggie. I must get a copy of the artist's edition one day. Not sure why I haven't. 

On 10/18/2021 at 5:38 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

SKREEEE :)

Nicely done Reggie. I must get a copy of the artist's edition one day. Not sure why I haven't. 

Yes, I really like the Artist Edition.  I think I got mine for around $100.  Wish there were enough art out there for a volume II.