• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Miracleman
5 5

919 posts in this topic

They are reprinting the Gaiman/Buckingham run with "restored art" similar to their Marvel Masterworks line.

Then Gaiman and Buckingham will finish the series with 10 new issues starting with #25

Edited by BizarroChuck

I wonder if Totleben will be involved with any of the new cover art for Marvel's Miracleman, maybe an alternate cover for one of the later issues?

Having looked at the new cover art for the various variants of the early issues, I have to say I'm not that impressed. The John Cassaday cover is pretty dreadful, he is too muscular in Leinil Francis Yu's cover (looks more like Captain America or Thor), I'm not so sure about the Quesada or the Mike McKone or the Mike Perkins covers, the Skottie Young cover is fun but not really appropriate so I'm left with the Buckingham cover and the original Garry Leach covers. Far too many variants!

Marvel Miracleman Covers

I wonder if Totleben will be involved with any of the new cover art for Marvel's Miracleman, maybe an alternate cover for one of the later issues?

That would certainly be welcomed by me. Totleben does now refuse to draw full figure MM sketches for his opps but I am sure he would make an exception for original print covers. If indeed he does Marvel will get my money, as owning brand new Totleben art is something I will support. These other variants, though? Not so much.

As a very long-term MIracleman fan and collector thought I'd chip in with my views on Marvel's re-launch...

Being called "Miracleman" rather than "Marvelman". Completely approve. Always 2 (or even 3) seperate characters for me anyway. Remember, "Miracleman" actually first debuted in a Captain Britain story in a Marvel UK title (MSH 387) not in Eclipse's MM no.1. If I was a writer I'd somehow tie this in in a future story.

Completing the run: thrilled this is happening. I bought my copy of MM no.24 in 1994, it will be an astonishing 20 or 21 years till I get to read no.25. Quite a cliff-hanger!

"The Original Writer" well, it's just not important. Moore is Moore. Everyone knows it's him. But do we know if Alan Davis is calling himself "the original artist" ? Or have they made up?

Warpsmith's - I have stopped correspondence with Garry Leach but when I last heard he was refusing to sell them to Marvel. Does anyone know how this resolved? Assume by a larger amount of cash?

The new Marvel covers: mostly are either terrible (that childish Manga one - why?) or worse, just non-descript computer-coloured could-be-any-super-hero-looking-a-bit-cross type pictures.. only Buckingham gets it.

Overall: it's great news - but I guess I have some natural reservations. I''m reminded how the Watchmen fans felt when they did the movie...

And what next for the MM collector? Well still continuing with the L Miller and fanzines. And yes, I'll probably gor for a CGC 9.8 set of the new ones too... ;)

BTW, the other update I've been meaning to post here is about our friend the super-rare MM 2D

Did you see the NON-SIGNED & NUMBERED 2D on ebay a month or so back? It sold for about £500

I was one of the under bidders but a friend in Canada snared the comic, he also was in contact with Cat Yronwode following a chat we had. With permission, here's his email

Hi Ewan,

I got a response from Cat Yronwode yesterday with regards to my email to her about MM 2D.

Thought you would find it interesting.

Here it is:

Hi Andrew,

As explained in our comics and in fanzines of the era, Eclipse's 2-D printings of 3-D titles were made for the benefit of our vision-impaired customers who, like myself, cannot see in 3-D.

The 2-D editions of Eclipse's 3-D comics were printed on heavier paper stock because they were printed at our local Kinko's and that's the only white paper that they had. Your idea that this was part of a "trial print run" on heavier paper is not the case -- we simply had the printer send us a short stack of extra covers and then we had Kinko's print the b&w books and staple them into the covers and trim them for us.

There were always exactly 100 signed copies of each 2-D title offered for sale, but, as is standard in the printing industry, we also always ran a few extra copies as overage, to account for, and insure against, possible spoilage of copies during manufacture or damage to copies during shipping and distribution. Spoilage copies generally amount to 5-10% of a print run, and so, on a print run of 100 copies, we calculated a standard overage of 10 copies.

These spoilage copies were not signed or sold. Two copies were placed in our office files (which were later donated to Michigan State University Library in East Lansing, Michigan), and any that remained after distribution of the signed copies was completed were given away free to our office staff.

We did not reprint these 2-D titles, and some sold out quickly. Others were less popular, and, feeling no reason to sign copies for which we had not yet received orders, I kept the less-popular titles bagged by tens and unsigned until orders came in. Some of these copies remained unsold and unsigned at the time of Eclipse's dissolution, at which time, I would estimate that a few titles may have had as many as 20 unsigned but originally-slated-for-signage copies left. These were sold in bulk to New Dimensions Comics, unsigned.

Miracleman, however, was one of the 2-D editions that definitely sold out its entire run of 100 copies, so it can safely be assumed that the copy you have came either from office staff or from a library deacquisition (or theft?) of the two office copies deposited at MSU.

Interesting? hm

So more than a hundred out there. Potentially 5-20 unsigned.

Cat re-iterates one went to MSU - so it must have been stolen.

And... I still haven't got one!

BTW, the other update I've been meaning to post here is about our friend the super-rare MM 2D

Did you see the NON-SIGNED & NUMBERED 2D on ebay a month or so back? It sold for about £500

I was one of the under bidders but a friend in Canada snared the comic, he also was in contact with Cat Yronwode following a chat we had. With permission, here's his email

Hi Ewan,

I got a response from Cat Yronwode yesterday with regards to my email to her about MM 2D.

Thought you would find it interesting.

Here it is:

Hi Andrew,

As explained in our comics and in fanzines of the era, Eclipse's 2-D printings of 3-D titles were made for the benefit of our vision-impaired customers who, like myself, cannot see in 3-D.

The 2-D editions of Eclipse's 3-D comics were printed on heavier paper stock because they were printed at our local Kinko's and that's the only white paper that they had. Your idea that this was part of a "trial print run" on heavier paper is not the case -- we simply had the printer send us a short stack of extra covers and then we had Kinko's print the b&w books and staple them into the covers and trim them for us.

There were always exactly 100 signed copies of each 2-D title offered for sale, but, as is standard in the printing industry, we also always ran a few extra copies as overage, to account for, and insure against, possible spoilage of copies during manufacture or damage to copies during shipping and distribution. Spoilage copies generally amount to 5-10% of a print run, and so, on a print run of 100 copies, we calculated a standard overage of 10 copies.

These spoilage copies were not signed or sold. Two copies were placed in our office files (which were later donated to Michigan State University Library in East Lansing, Michigan), and any that remained after distribution of the signed copies was completed were given away free to our office staff.

We did not reprint these 2-D titles, and some sold out quickly. Others were less popular, and, feeling no reason to sign copies for which we had not yet received orders, I kept the less-popular titles bagged by tens and unsigned until orders came in. Some of these copies remained unsold and unsigned at the time of Eclipse's dissolution, at which time, I would estimate that a few titles may have had as many as 20 unsigned but originally-slated-for-signage copies left. These were sold in bulk to New Dimensions Comics, unsigned.

Miracleman, however, was one of the 2-D editions that definitely sold out its entire run of 100 copies, so it can safely be assumed that the copy you have came either from office staff or from a library deacquisition (or theft?) of the two office copies deposited at MSU.

Interesting? hm

So more than a hundred out there. Potentially 5-20 unsigned.

Cat re-iterates one went to MSU - so it must have been stolen.

And... I still haven't got one!

Great info - many thanks for posting...

I saw your bid on that one (I had a hunch you would bid and your feedback rating matched one of the bidders). I did have a higher bid but I also lost unfortunately :(

(Note that, I think from what cat is saying there would be only 5-10 unsigned copies and 100 signed copies, given that the MM 2D sold out; also two unsigned copies went to MSU and maybe both are missing/stolen if MSU has only a single standard edition now).

Edited by Neeidea

He has made it clear in the past that he's not willing to sign Miracleman issues.

Thank you, when I googled I couldn't find any results and was really just looking for some facts!

I won't waste my time!

Ironically I do have a copy of X-Men Archives Featuring Captain Britain signed by Alan Davis - I say ironic as this issue has a cameo from Young Miracleman (called "Rick") - so about as close as I can get to him signing a Miracleman book... hm

Archives ( Cap Brit ) 4 reprints Daredevils 7, death of MM? Archives 2 is key also, reprints Marvel Super Heroes 388 ( Miracleman's headstone appears.

As a very long-term MIracleman fan and collector thought I'd chip in with my views on Marvel's re-launch...

Being called "Miracleman" rather than "Marvelman". Completely approve. Always 2 (or even 3) seperate characters for me anyway. Remember, "Miracleman" actually first debuted in a Captain Britain story in a Marvel UK title (MSH 387) not in Eclipse's MM no.1. If I was a writer I'd somehow tie this in in a future story.

Completing the run: thrilled this is happening. I bought my copy of MM no.24 in 1994, it will be an astonishing 20 or 21 years till I get to read no.25. Quite a cliff-hanger!

"The Original Writer" well, it's just not important. Moore is Moore. Everyone knows it's him. But do we know if Alan Davis is calling himself "the original artist" ? Or have they made up?

Warpsmith's - I have stopped correspondence with Garry Leach but when I last heard he was refusing to sell them to Marvel. Does anyone know how this resolved? Assume by a larger amount of cash?

The new Marvel covers: mostly are either terrible (that childish Manga one - why?) or worse, just non-descript computer-coloured could-be-any-super-hero-looking-a-bit-cross type pictures.. only Buckingham gets it.

Overall: it's great news - but I guess I have some natural reservations. I''m reminded how the Watchmen fans felt when they did the movie...

And what next for the MM collector? Well still continuing with the L Miller and fanzines. And yes, I'll probably gor for a CGC 9.8 set of the new ones too... ;)

I guess I agree the Miracleman name seems the appropriate given the Eclipse series went well beyond the Warrior reprints and established the name in the US but maybe they could do a UK pence variant and keep the Marvelman name over here :grin:

It will be good to see the series completed, hopefully not a let down with 20+ years build-up!

As for Garry Leach, I am pretty sure he has signed something with Marvel so there would be no issues there and Alan Davis has worked for Marvel very recently so I don't imagine there is an issue with him either (his problem, I believe, was more with Eclipse and still refuses to sign copies today. He was was apparently not that keen on it being reprinted, however, but it's happening so he must have signed up to it).

At least there could be some cheap collected editions coming out of this - the original TPB's cost a fortune (hardbacks even more so).

I guess I agree the Miracleman name seems the appropriate given the Eclipse series went well beyond the Warrior reprints and established the name in the US but maybe they could do a UK pence variant and keep the Marvelman name over here :grin:

It will be good to see the series completed, hopefully not a let down with 20+ years build-up!

As for Garry Leach, I am pretty sure he has signed something with Marvel so there would be no issues there and Alan Davis has worked for Marvel very recently so I don't imagine there is an issue with him either (his problem, I believe, was more with Eclipse and still refuses to sign copies today. He was was apparently not that keen on it being reprinted, however, but it's happening so he must have signed up to it).

At least there could be some cheap collected editions coming out of this - the original TPB's cost a fortune (hardbacks even more so).

Can anyone confirm how Miracleman first appeared in MSH 387 ( I though Miracleman was only mentioned and Kid Miracleman was pictured )??? If his first is not in this issue then would it be Daredevils 7 or Warrior Magazine 1?

No scan to hand but here's my log entry

"Miracleman" used in one caption of exposition regarding The Fury, on page 3 of the Captain Britain story, "A Crooked World" by Alan Moore & Alan Davis 5pg. "IT BATTLED COLONEL TUSKER AND HIS KILLER TOYS. IT BATTLED THE ATOMIC POWERHOUSE CALLED MIRACLEMAN. IT KILLED THEM. IT HAS BECOME USED TO SUPER-HEROES...", "IT FINDS THEM PREDICTABLE..."

So MSH 387 "name"

MSH 388 "name of gravestone"

DD 7 "pictured appearance"

Out of the 3, I've always found 388 the hardest to find, and certainly the hardest to find in grade. I've had NM+ copies of both 387 and 7 over the years.

No scan to hand but here's my log entry

"Miracleman" used in one caption of exposition regarding The Fury, on page 3 of the Captain Britain story, "A Crooked World" by Alan Moore & Alan Davis 5pg. "IT BATTLED COLONEL TUSKER AND HIS KILLER TOYS. IT BATTLED THE ATOMIC POWERHOUSE CALLED MIRACLEMAN. IT KILLED THEM. IT HAS BECOME USED TO SUPER-HEROES...", "IT FINDS THEM PREDICTABLE..."

So MSH 387 "name"

MSH 388 "name of gravestone"

DD 7 "pictured appearance"

Out of the 3, I've always found 388 the hardest to find, and certainly the hardest to find in grade. I've had NM+ copies of both 387 and 7 over the years.

In the states they are all impossible. I was lucky enough to find two copies of DD 7 over the years but they were in tough shape.

Don't know if this has been covered in this thread or is common knowledge, but there was a U.K. variant of Miracleman #1. I've read an estimated print run of 1,000-2,000, making it much rarer than the normal U.S. edition (with approx. 135,000 print run). The U.K. variant has a yellow back cover with a Quality Comics advertisement, not the black Zot! advertisement. With the probable increased interest in Miracleman coming in a couple months, it might be something to keep an eye out for.