• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Miracleman
5 5

919 posts in this topic

An update for some of you Miracleman completionists...I received a PM from Tom Gordon the other day asking me to call him. I did and it was in regards to the information I sent him on the Miracleman 3D Special (2D Version). He had a few questions for me about identifying copies.

I'm pretty sure it will be appearing in the upcoming Overstreet. Hopefully, some more copies will surface due to the breakout and comments. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

An update for some of you Miracleman completionists...I received a PM from Tom Gordon the other day asking me to call him. I did and it was in regards to the information I sent him on the Miracleman 3D Special (2D Version). He had a few questions for me about identifying copies.

I'm pretty sure it will be appearing in the upcoming Overstreet. Hopefully, some more copies will surface due to the breakout and comments. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Sweet! Good work chrisco!!!!

pkveronese, that MM A1 sketchbook is such a thing of beauty it's not even funny. That book is certainly one of a kind. I don't like signed books, but this one is the exception.

It's kind of like with getting signed baseball's from pro baseball players. If Barry Bonds signs the ball, it's cool, but there's a bunch signed that way. But if he signs it with his middle name or something out of the ordinary, then it's a million times more interesting and special. Well I think it's safe to say that your A1 than most of the other ones out there:)

pkveronese, that MM A1 sketchbook is such a thing of beauty it's not even funny. That book is certainly one of a kind. I don't like signed books, but this one is the exception.

It's kind of like with getting signed baseball's from pro baseball players. If Barry Bonds signs the ball, it's cool, but there's a bunch signed that way. But if he signs it with his middle name or something out of the ordinary, then it's a million times more interesting and special. Well I think it's safe to say that your A1 than most of the other ones out there:)

Thanks Shed!

Hey guys, I just put the scans of the actual OA for the front cover in my CAF gallery. Here they are:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=129825&GSub=19582

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=129829&GSub=19582

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=129832&GSub=19582

Have a good weekend everybody!

I really hate you, you know that....lol

S W E E T

C H R I S T M A S !

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif Hehehehe smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Hey Jon,

On another note - were you still collecting books for the school library? I'm about to clear out my Essentials - would those be ok? I wasn't sure since they were on newsprint. I've got some other ones I could send along if not. Thanks! - Keith

I am going to PM you...

Now...what did you get your wife for X-Mas? Huh? Cause you know you have to outdo her on those!

Even though they aren't mine, I am really excited they ended up with a true fan!!!

Hey Keith,

Is Garry Leach living in the US, or in Britain? Where did you get him to do those? I would love for him to sign the Miracleman art I have of his.

\\

Hey Hari!

Leach is still in the U.K. I got them through one of his colleagues at A1 and 2000 A.D., Rufus Dayglo. Rufus has a CAF page - here's the link:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=578

Rufus sells some of Garry's OA, and he's got some of it for sale on CAF (and he might have some more by now). If you can't get him through the CAF contact, e-mail/PM me and I'll send you his e-mail address. He is extremely easy to deal with and quite friendly, so I would at least give it a shot to get the Miracleman pages you have signed (nice stuff! - I'd love a page or two from the original series!). The Miracleman sketch I got was not a commission but it was a pin-up he did for the A1 Sketchbook. I'm not sure if Garry is doing commissions again - but I had heard that he is getting ready to start again.If/when he starts, I'd love to get some more stuff from him. I hope that helps - let me know if I can do anything else! - Keith

Keith

Absolutely amazing! hail.gif

Look at that cross-hatching!

It never even occured to me the original art would be available. Can we be so vulgar to ask how much roughly it cost?

Great sketch cover too!

Chris, great news - hope it does.

Do you think it'll appear with a description then?

Thinking about OS, they do under-price a number of issues I think - especially 23 and 24. Though I recently got a BIN for 21-24 for just $19.99.

I sold a 23 recently for £40/$90.

Should there be any adjustment this year?

Thinking about OS, they do under-price a number of issues I think - especially 23 and 24. Though I recently got a BIN for 21-24 for just $19.99.

That is an absolutely amazing price for a 23! I don't know if OS will budge much though - they tend to lag behind on pricing trends for comics in the past 20 or so years.

Yes. Based on my talk with Tom, I'm sure that a discription will be provided. Probably something along these lines:

2D Version - Identical to 3D version w/out the effects. Cover and indicia identical. Only 1 known existing copy; Michigan State University Collection. No confirmed sales

As for your second item, I think there will be the standard OS increase for Miracleman issues. Nothing dramatic, although 23 should be a little higher, IMO. Currently it's grouped with 19-22. It's alot harder to find than those.

Nice job on the sale of your 23. Happy for you, but that's alot for that book! 893whatthe.gif

Realized that I'm missing 23 as well. What's the story with this issue? Were fewer printed or spotty distribution???

23 certainly had a lower print run than no.15 and no.16 - it's not "scarce" in golden age terms but is less-available then say 1-4 (by a long way).

Many 23's also had printing defects like over-hang or siamese pages.

Couple that with the easily-marked purple cover and you get very few in super-high-grade. There are no 9.8s certified - and only a couple of 9.6s.

The one I sold was a raw 9.6 (IMO) and signed by Gaiman - so an important distinction I suppose!

With the 3D 2D - yes, there's only one confirmed but I know another was sold on ebay back in 2002. Or may be I imagined it!

But great work Chris!

I now have a 'Charlie & The Chocolate Factory' type vision on everyone buying up 3Ds to see if there the 2D version!!! Who has the golden ticket! 893whatthe.gif

With the 3D 2D - yes, there's only one confirmed but I know another was sold on ebay back in 2002. Or may be I imagined it!

I've spoken with him before about the eBay sale. However, since it was awhile back and there are no records of it, it must go under as 'non-confirmed'.

I now have a 'Charlie & The Chocolate Factory' type vision on everyone buying up 3Ds to see if there the 2D version!!! Who has the golden ticket!

27_laughing.gif That was me at the baltimore Comic Con - going thru every delaer box and pulling all the 3D's and opening them up. 27_laughing.gif

I've spoken with him before about the eBay sale. However, since it was awhile back and there are no records of it, it must go under as 'non-confirmed'.

I now have a 'Charlie & The Chocolate Factory' type vision on everyone buying up 3Ds to see if there the 2D version!!! Who has the golden ticket!

27_laughing.gif That was me at the baltimore Comic Con - going thru every delaer box and pulling all the 3D's and opening them up. 27_laughing.gif

Can you tell me about this 2D issue? Very interested in hearing the story behind it.

Here's the entire sordid tale:

Back when Eclipse published the Miracleman 3D Special, they also printed and unknown quantity of 2D issue (issue without the effects for those that wanted to read the book, but hated having to use the 3D glasses). I've heard anywhere from as low as 10 to over 100, but have not been able to verify print numbers at all. I tried to contact Cat Y. of Eclipse to get her input, but never heard back from her.

The 2D version was offered to any customer via mail-order for $5. The book was offered in the true 3D book (if you have a copy, just look at the bottom right side of the inside front cover and you can see ordering instructions).

Fast forward many years to the CGC Forums and EwanUK asking about this book, and noting he had seen one for sale on eBay a few years back (maybe 2000). Being a big MM fan myself, I was intrigued and Ewan and I began PM'ing one another about the series and about this book in particular. I asked a few guys at the LCS if they knew about it, and nobody did, but I was given some contact info to old Eclipse employees and began my "research". I kept in contact with Ewan during the entire process as I would have never known about the book if not for him. He asked around across the pond, but came up empty as well. Our goal was to prove the existance of the book and, hopefully, get it included in the 2006 OS

I remembered a few threads about the Michigan State University comic collection and thought they might be able to help me out. I went online and searched their database. Indeed, the book was listed. I contacted some folks at the University Special Collections Department and told them I was trying to get the book listed in Overstreet and gave them a list of Gemstone's requirements. They made the required copies of info and mailed them to me. I then forwarded that information to Tom Gordon of Gemstone (who was well aware of what I was doing as I bugged/reminded him everytime I saw him in person, or saw him post). I also copied the info to Ewan, and included his name on the letter to Gemstone as he was every bit as important in the process as I was.

And that's the story. thumbsup2.gif