• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Miracleman
5 5

919 posts in this topic

But does anyone have the issue?

No, and that's the whole point - we know it exists (the University has one) but none of us know any copies in private hands.

And ironically, the collectors who might actually have a copy in their collections probably don't even know it themselves as it's indistinguishable from the regular 3D version on the cover or in the indicia.

As MM is my key collecting interest, I wanted the 2D to complete my collection. I even offered $500 for it - which is quoted in the market reports in OS 35. (This amount may come back to haunt me!)

Chris has been brilliant in getting it into OS.

No doubt copies will surface after that!

Almost all Eclipse 3D books at the time had 2D versions.

It is listed in the 1998 UK price guide too - for 60p!

I've tried for years to get this thing listed in Overstreet, but no one believed me nor ever used the info I sent to Bob.

Here's what I know about it: Beau Smith, who was an Eclipse sales director, said he remembered there being about 200 copies printed of the 2D comic. He said they were printed for people with color blindness who would not be able to read the comic due to the 3D effects (red and blue lines overtop one another to make the images jump out at the reader). He also said he did not have a copy of the comic in his Eclipse office file collection. I, too, saw the eBay copy sell and wish I'd tried a little harder to win it. Heck, I'd give $500 for the comic myself, and I've long since stopped collecting Miracleman. This book is definitely rare, although I do believe there are more copies out there than just ONE. Copies are probably sitting in collectors' boxes without them even knowing they've got them.

I've tried for years to get this thing listed in Overstreet, but no one believed me nor ever used the info I sent to Bob.

Here's what I know about it: Beau Smith, who was an Eclipse sales director, said he remembered there being about 200 copies printed of the 2D comic. He said they were printed for people with color blindness who would not be able to read the comic due to the 3D effects (red and blue lines overtop one another to make the images jump out at the reader). He also said he did not have a copy of the comic in his Eclipse office file collection. I, too, saw the eBay copy sell and wish I'd tried a little harder to win it. Heck, I'd give $500 for the comic myself, and I've long since stopped collecting Miracleman. This book is definitely rare, although I do believe there are more copies out there than just ONE. Copies are probably sitting in collectors' boxes without them even knowing they've got them.

Yep. And that was really the goal of my research. I figure if the book is listed in OS, people may find hidden copies in their own collection.

Funny you mention Beau. He is the first person I contacted about the book. thumbsup2.gif

What info did you provide to Gemstone? In order for it to be listed, you have to send xerox copies of the cover, indicia page, and a page or two of the book. Luckily, MSU had a copy on file* and made the copies for me.

* For those of you getting ideas, the book is part of the special collections department and, therefore, not for loan. So you can't go check it out and "lose" it.

BTW - the MM market never seems to weaken -

A run of 1 to 24 went for an astonishing £287 / $500+ recently on ebay!

That's £67 more than my HG set went for last year - and this lot was only mid-grade!

Chris, any update on the notes?

BTW - the MM market never seems to weaken -

A run of 1 to 24 went for an astonishing £287 / $500+ recently on ebay!

That's £67 more than my HG set went for last year - and this lot was only mid-grade!

Wow! That's about double what they were going for his summer - that's some big money.

Hey Ewan, where do you see the A1 Sketchbook variant values going if word gets out about this book? Sure there's only 500 copies, but the book isn' t really a MM book. It has him and bates on the cover, but it's not a comic perse. As a result, there's no key story or anything of any significant substance to the book other than the cover. Thoughts?

Oh yeah and for anybody who cares, I just snapped up a NM copy of MM #23 (very tough to find with that purple cover) to replace my VF copy. I'm really psyched about that.

Sorry about that everyone. I forgot about my above post.

Just went thru my emails. MSU got their books direct from Eclipse. This is according to my emails with Beau Smith. He stated to me:

The definitive answer could come from Randy Scott, since we deposited everything we published with him at MSU.

Yuck that's just horrible. I wish McFarlane would just give it up already.

BTW, here was a recent MM #15 sale on ebay. I thought you guys might find it interesting.

Link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...me=STRK:MEWA:IT

I bought a NM copy for $20 less than that about a year ago. I wonder if this issue has heated up a bit.

Miracleman sells great but my 9.0 signature series copy signed by neil gaiman won't even sell for 70 bucks. I mean I always hear how well it sells. It is a great series. and I would kill for some Miracleman art ( I even have 1 sketch of miracleman) but I don't see issues selling for a whole lot unless it is a full set or the 3d 2d comic.

Miracleman sells great but my 9.0 signature series copy signed by neil gaiman won't even sell for 70 bucks. I mean I always hear how well it sells. It is a great series. and I would kill for some Miracleman art ( I even have 1 sketch of miracleman) but I don't see issues selling for a whole lot unless it is a full set or the 3d 2d comic.

What sketch do you have?

Why does he consistently try to destroy something we all love?

series29miraclesphoto04dp1pg.jpg

WTF is that? I mean who?

Its supposed to be McFarlane's "Man of Miracles" figure (based on the "Man of Miracles" app. in the Image 10th Anniversary HC and in Spawn #150). Its for real as far as I can tell. Here's a link to its page on the Spawn website :

http://spawn.com/toys/product.aspx?product=2952 .

This is just sad. Surely there has to be legal ramifications to this. It seems as if he can make this figure though (which I would assume would be in regular stores like the Spawn figures - i.e. Traget/Walmart and the like), Todd is flaunting the rights. Where's the legal action from the Gaiman camp? Is there any possible recourse? If this makes it onto typical store shelves, it would seem (at least in the public eye), that MM would be seen as a McFarlane property.

I'm disgusted. I would rather see MM shelved permanently (with no future of being reprinted,etc.) than to return like this. It hurts to say this, but that's how I feel. It seems like McFarlane is bastardizing a character we care about just for the heck of it. I'm ticked - I should probably go to bed and just be mad in the morning. Talk to you guys tommorow - Keith

The sketch isn't for sale. I had a random artist do it for me although when I met neil gaiman I should have had him draw miracle man instead of death. But that is such toss up have neil gaiman sketch a character from sandman or have him sketch something from miracleman. both would be cool both would be worth alot of money so what do you do. I mean I wasn't going to ask the man to do 2 sketches he had already signed 9 books and did one sketch, all for buying his new book which was worth the 20 bucks,

The thing is, those signature series comics were done by an outside company many, many years after Eclipse folded. So, what you have is a comic with a signature on it that's about the same as if you took your own copy to a show, got someone associated with the comic to sign it and called it a signature series. It's not the real thing, as if it were signed by creators through a deal with Eclipse, such as the case of the Golds and Blues.

I bought my Miracleman 15 in NM for $15 at a flea market in Knoxville, Tenn., way back in 2001. The guy had it in a locker that he stored boxes of his high end comics in. I found it and he said he had had it for a long time and it wouldn't sell. So, I bought it.

Then, I went to the local comic shop there and found two NM copies of Miracleman 23 and several back issues. I also found multiples of 18, 19 and 22 and all were VF to NM. Another local shop had copies of 17 and several number 1s, 4s and 5s and I bought all I could get.

Then, while still living there, I found a complete set of 1-14 for $20 and all were unread, NM copies. Also while living in Tennessee (a six-month, long, strange trip), I came back home to West Virginia for a three-hour interview with Beau Smith. I bought him lunch in Huntington and we talked about Miracleman, his work with McFarlane and why Miracleman will probably never be reprinted — at least not for several years. Beau even told me he had had boxes of Miracleman comics, but they burned up when his "Image Sales Ranch" home burned several years ago. He said he'd dig out his remaining copies of Miracleman and he'd give me some, but, later on, he started selling his stuff on eBay and I never asked him for anything.

I bought a bunch of Totleben art, a Starlin cover and three pages of Miracleman Triumphant and then paid $162 for a VG copy of Miracleman Volume 3: Olympus. I needed No. 16 and, at that time, couldn't find it anywhere. So, I went ahead and gave way too much for the trade paperback. But, I took it home, read it and was through with collecting Miracleman.

It was almost like I got it out of my system.

Then, little by little, I started trading off my original art. First to go was my Miracleman 12 cover preliminary, which I got $300 in John Byrne art for. No one wanted any of the MM art at first. I couldn't hardly give those Totleben pages away and no one, I mean, no one, wanted to even look at my Deodato MM: Triumphant pages, even though they were the three best from the series. But, Tom Fleming took a chance on the Deodato pages and sold them fairly quickly.

Eventually, though, I found my copies of the Golds and one Blue and did the story for Comics Buyer's Guide and finally, after several years of trying, got the Golds and Blues listed correctly in Overstreet. I did let a Gold No. 1 go a while back and got $1500 it.

I actually started to do a story on the company producing MM signature books and those new "golds" that have the Totleben stamps, but I got sidetracked with my other projects at my newspaper and with my fanzine and it never happened.