• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comunication problem with Cadence Comic Art
6 6

199 posts in this topic

On 2/2/2024 at 10:11 AM, NinjaSealed said:

Has any received or know anyone who has received any art from them in the past few months?

I ordered a cover from them during the Tyler Crook sale in the latter half of '23 (Payment completed in mid November) received it just before the end of the year. 

Guess I should count myself lucky. 

On 2/4/2024 at 4:53 PM, Catwoman_Fan said:

All of these artists will need to get their original art back from Candence.  Hope that doesn’t become a nightmare for them. 

Whenever you buy from Cadence, there's often a wait for the artist to ship the artwork to them, so I'm pretty sure they have it already.

On 2/4/2024 at 2:40 PM, New School Fool said:

Whenever you buy from Cadence, there's often a wait for the artist to ship the artwork to them, so I'm pretty sure they have it already.

Yes, luckily Cory Smith hadn’t shipped my purchase to them and is working with me to send it my way.

A bit off topic from what's currently being discussed, but with everything going on I'm reminded of another situation where I was disappointed in the service provided by Cadence.

A few years ago I ordered a sketch cover commission from an artist that was a presale for a convention, but able to be shipped. I was impressed with the art they used to advertise the opp and was really excited to see what else they'd do with the character. After about a year of waiting for it to be shipped to CGC for grading, I asked for a photo of the art since I had waited so long. I was sent a photo of the exact art used in the announcement. I was disappointed because, while I liked the piece, I was expecting to get something made just for me. I didn't mind so much at the time, because the price of the "commission" wasn't much more than the headache of trying deal with it. (Knowing how their communication can be, I didn't think I'd get a response until after it was already shipped to CGC.) 

Thinking about it now, I'm just hoping the artists didn't get screwed out of any money for what was essentially a non-commission. I shouldn't have held my tongue, but I've just added it to the list of red flags to look for in future purchases.

That being said, I ordered a page from 8 Billion Genies that made it to me fairly quickly. So, it's a 1/3 for satisfied transactions.

Likely a website maintenance issue but if you search Fire and Ice both of Asrar's covers come up still. I had recent communications with both the artist and dealer about these pieces. Not sure what to make of it now.

Kelly Williams: "As of this morning, I'm no longer with Cadence Comic Art. So for the time being any art sales or commissions will be handled by myself. Or not. Who knows. I'm not into post office trips."

Well, if Dicktown ever needs a mayor, this guy is it. :eyeroll:

On 2/2/2024 at 9:11 AM, NinjaSealed said:

Has any received or know anyone who has received any art from them in the past few months?

I received a Jim Towe commission on 1/13/2024 so glad that it arrived before Cadence exploded. I only had to email back and forth since July of last year for them to finally ship it to me. Terible service I really hope most artist jump ship and look for a more reliable rep.

Apparently a rumor is going on reddit that the owner was skimming off of commission orders while never communicating them to the artists. 

That sounds like something that would've made itself apparent a lot faster than it did so I doubt thats the whole story 

On 2/5/2024 at 1:17 PM, Toonstrack said:

Apparently a rumor is going on reddit that the owner was skimming off of commission orders while never communicating them to the artists. 

That sounds like something that would've made itself apparent a lot faster than it did so I doubt thats the whole story 

He was running a Ponzi scheme... this is why it was taking months to send out orders, he probably had to wait for new money to come in to replace the money he stole

Yikes, I’ll consider myself lucky to have received the pieces I did. I also didn’t purchase many commissions through Cadence, mainly published pages. I feel for the artists though… a lot of great talent that were affected based on the exodus.

On 2/5/2024 at 2:47 PM, roach04 said:

Folks - I did get in touch with James Stokoe and he's now posted his email on Twitter if anyone else is looking to get in touch with him.  Hope all collectors are good - the artists I hope get made close to whole.

Was that killer Godzilla commission he posted on social media yours?