• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Antique Roadshow/Pawn Stars Appraisal
5 5

192 posts in this topic

On 10/2/2021 at 3:01 PM, Wolverinex said:

How often do you guys find comics in pawn shops anyway?

I pulled an edge of spider verse 2 1st print out of a single short box for 5 bucks at a pawn shop. I have better luck asking than looking, many times theres a small stack somewhere behind the counter.

On 10/2/2021 at 4:30 PM, HotKey said:

I pulled an edge of spider verse 2 1st print out of a single short box for 5 bucks at a pawn shop. I have better luck asking than looking, many times theres a small stack somewhere behind the counter.

How often do you go to pawn shops? I actually don't see many around my area that may try to check a few out next time I'm in a bigger city.

On 10/24/2021 at 7:30 PM, littledoom said:

Been a while since I added to this thread 🦇

Lol good to see you post. I did find a channel that shows reruns of this show from about 7 pm well into the night lol

Only on Sundays ! Have to wait to marathon!

On 10/24/2021 at 6:44 PM, Courageous Cat said:

imo i agree thats an over graded book. probably more in line with a 4.5, or if you prefer, a Promise collection 7.0 :tonofbricks:

the soiling/foxing doesn't present well on the yellow .. i wouldn't grade that 5.5.. it's far too high and very kind.. I agree 4.5.. fine- no even for GA.. there's moderns I wouldn't grade 5.5 in similar shape

On 10/24/2021 at 8:44 PM, Courageous Cat said:

imo i agree thats an over graded book. probably more in line with a 4.5, or if you prefer, a Promise collection 7.0 :tonofbricks:

I believe that episode was from this year, so they should have bought it at the $250,000 asking price. 

Their expert quoted the last three GPA prices for a 5.5.........but the most recent GPA sale for that grade was back in 2019 for $210,000.  

Things have changed a lot since 2019.......and he obviously didn't look at other grades for more recent sales.

A 5.0 sold in April 2021 for $360,000.

A 2.0 sold in September 2021 for $222,000.

Time to get a new expert.

Edit:  And yes......I know this stuff is all staged.

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 10/24/2021 at 8:26 PM, Domo Arigato said:

I believe that episode was from this year, so they should have bought it at the $250,000 asking price. 

Their expert quoted the last three GPA prices for a 5.5.........but the most recent GPA sale for that grade was back in 2019 for $210,000.  

Things have changed a lot since 2019.......and he obviously didn't look at other grades for more recent sales.

Season 18 (this year) is the most current season .. but Pawn Stars usually offer 1/3 and up to around 1/2 price so bringing in that book was just for airtime.. that's an easy book for big auction houses

Edited by littledoom

On 10/24/2021 at 10:37 PM, littledoom said:

Season 18 (this year) is the most current season .. but Pawn Stars usually offer 1/3 and up to around 1/2 price so bringing in that book was just for airtime

I edited my post before you made this one indicating I know that it's all staged.

But my point still stands.  At that price.....it would still be a smart purchase this year.

And yes.....they do like to offer 1/3 to 1/2 price because that obviously gives them more profit.....but there have been many instances where they offer much closer to the price they can sell an item for as long as it's not something that's difficult to sell.  And Ricks usual B.S. of.........he has to spend a lot of money to get it framed.......it's going to take up a lot of room in the shop.......it's could take years to find a buyer.........wouldn't apply here.  

On 10/24/2021 at 8:46 PM, Domo Arigato said:

but there have been many instances where they offer much closer to the price they can sell an item for as long as it's not something that's difficult to sell

that's when it's something they personally like or a unique item they'll be able to get a favorable return on. In many of those cases it's never been comics. Usually militaria or entertainment memorabilia. They rarely pay up in the $200,000 range on something they aren't comfortable w or knowledgeable about.

Edited by littledoom

On 10/24/2021 at 10:56 PM, littledoom said:

that's when it's something they personally like or a unique item they'll be able to get a favorable return on. In many of those cases it's never been comics. Usually militaria or entertainment memorabilia. They rarely pay up in the $200,000 range on something they aren't comfortable w or knowledge about.

Which is why they bring an expert in to educate them.

And that expert gave them jacked up advice.

If he had quoted the more recent sales figures on the lower grades, they would have looked like Moe Rons for passing on it.

A 5.5 (even if it was over graded) for $28,000 more than the $222,000 that a 2.0 sold for last month.......and $110,000 less than the $360,000 that a 5.0 sold for in April?  It was staged......but it was also a staged stupid decision. 

On 10/24/2021 at 9:05 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Which is why they bring an expert in to educate them.

And that expert gave them jacked up advice.

If he had quoted the more recent sales figures on the lower grades, they would have looked like Moe Rons for passing on it.

A 5.5 (even if it was over graded) for $28,000 more than the $222,000 that a 2.0 sold for last month.......and $110,000 less than the $360,000 that a 5.0 sold for in April?  It was staged......but it was also a staged stupid decision. 

I can see how this can be an old clip now. these clips are uploaded daily from previously aired episodes. Those segments from the might have been filmed potentially over a year ago.. who knows

On 10/24/2021 at 11:30 PM, littledoom said:

I can see how this can be an old clip now. these clips are uploaded daily from previously aired episodes. Those segments from the might have been filmed potentially over a year ago.. who knows

If they filmed this episode last year (or earlier), then passing on the book makes much more sense. 

And I think you're right about the episodes on this YouTube channel.  The YouTube clip says it's from Season 18, Episode 29.......but the information I can find on the internet indicates Season 18 didn't contain that many episodes.

So yeah.......who knows.

On 9/25/2018 at 11:07 PM, SuperZar said:

So this guy had NO idea, not a clue what they were worth?  So he expects us to believe he doesn't have a computer with internet access, and the only way to find the value of these items is to appear on the Roadshow. OK.

Haha! Yes. Just happened to show up with 2 of the most recognizable examples of collectible silver and bronze age books and say "Deeeehhhh I denno whut dese are WURF! Kinnya tell me? Cuz I sure dunn NO!!!" LOL!

On 10/24/2021 at 11:26 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Edit:  And yes......I know this stuff is all staged.

No way of knowing the future and these guys arent investors. Could have just as easily gone the other way.