• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Antique Roadshow/Pawn Stars Appraisal
5 5

192 posts in this topic

On 11/25/2021 at 1:22 PM, William-James88 said:

No way of knowing the future and these guys arent investors. Could have just as easily gone the other way.

My point had nothing to do with knowing the future or being an investor.  This clip was supposedly from a recent episode, and they brought in an expert to educate them.

The seller had a $250,000 asking price for a CGC 5.5 graded copy. 

Their expert quoted the last three GPA prices for equivalent 5.5 copies.........but the most recent GPA sale for that grade was back in 2019 for $210,000.  

Things have changed a lot since 2019.......and either their expert should have looked at other grades for more relevant and recent sales data.....or this was filmed early this year or possibly sometime last year.

A lower grade 5.0 copy of that book sold in April 2021 for $360,000.

A much lower grade 2.0 copy of that book sold in September 2021 for $222,000.

If someone is offering a 5.5 graded copy and there are no recent sales in that grade, then it would make sense to look at other grades close to that for more recent sales data to get a better idea of its true potential value.  The seller was offering a 5.5 copy for $250,000......a lower graded 5.0 copy sold in April for $110,000 more than that price.....and a much lower grade 2.0 copy sold for only 28,000 less that that price.

So, my point still stands.....unless this episode was filmed prior to April of this year, then it would be time to get a new expert (if these scenarios weren't all staged).  But, as I said in my last post, if the episode was filmed before April, then passing on the book would make much more sense.

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 12/3/2021 at 9:37 PM, Domo Arigato said:

So, my point still stands.....unless this episode was filmed prior to April of this year,

The title in the video says season 17, which aired in 2020, so that's why I wrote what I wrote. I didn't get where you were coming from. But reading the info on the specific episode, the youtube title is mislabelled (ha!) so it's anyone's guess when this was filmed. Take care.

On 12/3/2021 at 9:43 PM, William-James88 said:

The title in the video says season 17, which aired in 2020, so that's why I wrote what I wrote. I didn't get where you were coming from. But reading the info on the specific episode, the youtube title is mislabelled (ha!) so it's anyone's guess when this was filmed. Take care.

On the video I was referring to.....the title for it on YouTube says Season 19 Episode 4......but in the actual description under the video on YouTube, it says Pawn Stars Season 18.......but yeah, who knows?  Back when I originally posted, I did a search and tried to find out what season and episode this was actually from, but didn't have any luck......different websites listed different numbers of episodes for the same seasons, so I just gave up.

Swap Shop Season 1 Episode 6 on Netflix.

Swap Shop synopsis:

"Swap Shop is a reality series about citizens of Tennessee who listen to a radio show called Swap Shop that informs them of where they can buy scraps for cheap so that they can later turn them into fine pieces of art or functional properties like vehicles, instruments, or sneakers for a pretty impressive profit.

Thousands of listeners of the Southern radio show gather from all over the state to get first dibs on these highly sought-after items, but of course, only one can secure the item and become a couple of bucks richer."

Anyone seen this episode? Couldn't find a clip on YouTube. Anyone in the same neck of the woods as the store these guys (Richard and Garin from Nirvana Comics) are from? They go out to this guys garage and he's selling his Father in laws collection. Fairly interesting but I was surprised by the really lowball offer for purchasing the collection considering this was filmed in 2021 and I saw some other big books than the ones they highlighted starting with single digit FFs. I get you have to make a profit as I've sold books before but that was really insulting based on the value. Cheers.

20220216_154751.jpg

20220216_154813.jpg

20220216_154837.jpg

20220216_154841.jpg

20220216_154844.jpg

20220216_154847.jpg

20220216_154928.jpg

20220216_154957.jpg

20220216_171621.jpg

On 2/16/2022 at 5:27 PM, Krydel4 said:

Swap Shop synopsis:

"Swap Shop is a reality series about citizens of Tennessee who listen to a radio show called Swap Shop that informs them of where they can buy scraps for cheap so that they can later turn them into fine pieces of art or functional properties like vehicles, instruments, or sneakers for a pretty impressive profit.

Thousands of listeners of the Southern radio show gather from all over the state to get first dibs on these highly sought-after items, but of course, only one can secure the item and become a couple of bucks richer."

Anyone seen this episode? Couldn't find a clip on YouTube. Anyone in the same neck of the woods as the store these guys (Richard and Garin from Nirvana Comics) are from? They go out to this guys garage and he's selling his Father in laws collection. Fairly interesting but I was surprised by the really lowball offer for purchasing the collection considering this was filmed in 2021 and I saw some other big books than the ones they highlighted starting with single digit FFs. I get you have to make a profit as I've sold books before but that was really insulting based on the value. Cheers.

20220216_154751.jpg

20220216_154813.jpg

20220216_154837.jpg

20220216_154841.jpg

20220216_154844.jpg

20220216_154847.jpg

20220216_154928.jpg

20220216_154957.jpg

20220216_171621.jpg

What were those other two guys in the back doing? Seriously my heart goes out to them. Looking for a Hulk 181? I would have been a whole lot faster picking through boxes or made an offer on the entire lot. $17k/30k isn’t cheap btw. There’s a lot of man hours, space, supplies involved before even breaking even. What was insulting was the high pressure attitude. I don’t care what the situation that’s no way to talk to someone. Lol.. What I’m surprised about is how you were able to screenshot Netflix. I’ve tried that b4 to no avail. 

Edited by littledoom

On 2/16/2022 at 7:56 PM, littledoom said:

What were those other two guys in the back doing? Seriously my heart goes out to them. Looking for a Hulk 181? I would have been a whole lot faster picking through boxes or made an offer on the entire lot. $17k/30k isn’t cheap btw. There’s a lot of man hours, space, supplies involved before even breaking even. What was insulting was the high pressure attitude. I don’t care what the situation that’s no way to talk to someone. Lol.. What I’m surprised about is how you were able to screenshot Netflix. I’ve tried that b4 to no avail. 

I thought the 17k offer was insulting. Not even 30% of appraisal. I get we all have overhead in business but come on. And then to come back with a lower offer. I would have said thanks for the appraisal, Goodbye. The 30k was much more in line considering they were going to have to do all the work with the books you mentioned anyway if they were consigning them or not. If the books meant nothing to me (which they obviously didn't to Dan) I would have taken the 30k. The one guy with the satchel when he was told to get out looked genuinely POd.😁

Edited by Krydel4
Clarity

On 2/16/2022 at 7:27 PM, Krydel4 said:

Swap Shop synopsis:

20220216_154751.jpg

20220216_154813.jpg

20220216_154837.jpg

FWIW, according to the store, the show was filmed in 2019/2020 and all/most of that is already gone.

Edited by manetteska

On 2/17/2022 at 12:26 PM, rexinnih said:

Saw this episode and thought, "this sucks for those two guys in back who were already there." While some keys were shown, the $30K was being optimistic on the remainder they didn't see/show on TV yet, IMHO, based on when the show was recorded. 

It’s still a show. Everything is planned to some degree. That guy selling the collection did a good job of setting up his garage and dressing decent 

On 2/17/2022 at 5:38 PM, littledoom said:

It’s still a show. Everything is planned to some degree. That guy selling the collection did a good job of setting up his garage and dressing decent 

Totally agree, I know I guy in the business and anything that is not live TV is planned out and written in advance.  For example for the house hunters show they used to come in after a couple has moved in and work backwards.  They take them to look at a few listings and then stage their own home (by be decluttering a few rooms for the "before" shots).  The next day they can tape the show where they show the house the "chose" with them all moved in (supposedly 3 months later).

Saves quite a bit of money because they can shoot an episode very quickly.