• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Antique Roadshow/Pawn Stars Appraisal
5 5

192 posts in this topic

On 1/29/2024 at 1:40 PM, Comics-n-ERB said:

About 12 years ago a friend called me and said he just saw a local show that was like Antique Road Show on TV.  On it, there was a woman that had a bunch of golden age comics.  He had no other information except the TV Channel it was on.  I called the station and asked about the episode, they put me in touch with the Producer of the show.  They didn't have any information on the Woman but believed they knew which town she came from.

So what do I do now??

I thought about it and finally hit on the idea of putting a full page ad in the local paper saying if you know or are the Woman with the Comics on said show please contact me as I am interested in buying your comics.

About two weeks goes by and I get a call from a Man.  He says those were his comics and he didn't know his wife had taken them to be on the show!  I asked if he would be interested in selling them, he said he would talk to me.  I drove down there the next day about 5 hours away.  I get there and he is a Retired Marine Corps Master Sargent.  I had been in the Marines also so we at least had that in common.  He brought out a old hard cased suitcase.  Insides was a bunch of comics, some in zip lock bags, some just raw.  I was blown away with what all was in that suitcase.  PEP Comics #1, All-Flash Quarterly #1, runs of Captain Marvel, World's Finest, Superman and Batman.  I took an inventory of the books and talked to him the whole time.  I ended up making an offer and he refused and said he would just keep them for the grandkids.  He sent me packing.

I called him a few times over the years just to remind him I was interested.  Finally, 5 years ago I called him and asked if he remembered me; yes and I still have your offer here.  He said I bet they have gone up in price since then haven't they?  Yes Sir, they have.  Can I come back and take another look?  Sure, come on.  I was there the next day with a ton more money than I took the first time.

Long story, but I ended up bringing the books home!

I took some comic boxes with me, so this first pic is some of them in one of the boxes.

box with zip bags.jpg

random stack.jpg

charlie chan.jpg

pep comics.jpg

world's finest stack.jpg

world's finest layout.jpg

superman stack.jpg

superman collection.jpg

batman stack.jpg

batman layout.jpg

batman layout2.jpg

batman layout3.jpg

batman layout 4.jpg

layout captain marvel.jpg

layout captain marvel2.jpg

captain marvel double cover.jpg

:manhero:

On 1/29/2024 at 11:40 AM, Comics-n-ERB said:

About 12 years ago a friend called me and said he just saw a local show that was like Antique Road Show on TV.  On it, there was a woman that had a bunch of golden age comics.  He had no other information except the TV Channel it was on.  I called the station and asked about the episode, they put me in touch with the Producer of the show.  They didn't have any information on the Woman but believed they knew which town she came from.

So what do I do now??

I thought about it and finally hit on the idea of putting a full page ad in the local paper saying if you know or are the Woman with the Comics on said show please contact me as I am interested in buying your comics.

About two weeks goes by and I get a call from a Man.  He says those were his comics and he didn't know his wife had taken them to be on the show!  I asked if he would be interested in selling them, he said he would talk to me.  I drove down there the next day about 5 hours away.  I get there and he is a Retired Marine Corps Master Sargent.  I had been in the Marines also so we at least had that in common.  He brought out a old hard cased suitcase.  Insides was a bunch of comics, some in zip lock bags, some just raw.  I was blown away with what all was in that suitcase.  PEP Comics #1, All-Flash Quarterly #1, runs of Captain Marvel, World's Finest, Superman 3-16 missing #11 and Batman 3-29 complete.  I took an inventory of the books and talked to him the whole time.  I ended up making an offer and he refused and said he would just keep them for the grandkids.  He sent me packing.

I called him a few times over the years just to remind him I was interested.  Finally, 5 years ago I called him and asked if he remembered me; yes and I still have your offer here.  He said I bet they have gone up in price since then haven't they?  Yes Sir, they have.  Can I come back and take another look?  Sure, come on.  I was there the next day with a ton more money than I took the first time.

I've sold all but the Superman and Batman Runs and one of the Captain Marvel's.

I took some comic boxes with me, so this first pic is some of them in one of the boxes.

box with zip bags.jpg

random stack.jpg

charlie chan.jpg

pep comics.jpg

world's finest stack.jpg

superman stack.jpg

superman collection.jpg

batman stack.jpg

batman layout.jpg

batman layout2.jpg

batman layout3.jpg

batman layout 4.jpg

Excellent detective work! Lifetime score!

On 1/29/2024 at 2:40 PM, Comics-n-ERB said:

So what do I do now??

About two weeks goes by and I get a call from a Man.  He says those were his comics and he didn't know his wife had taken them to be on the show!  I asked if he would be interested in selling them, he said he would talk to me.  I drove down there the next day about 5 hours away.  I get there and he is a Retired Marine Corps Master Sargent.  I had been in the Marines also so we at least had that in common.  He brought out a old hard cased suitcase.  Insides was a bunch of comics, some in zip lock bags, some just raw.  I was blown away with what all was in that suitcase.  PEP Comics #1, All-Flash Quarterly #1, runs of Captain Marvel, World's Finest, Superman 3-16 missing #11 and Batman 3-29 complete.  I took an inventory of the books and talked to him the whole time.  I ended up making an offer and he refused and said he would just keep them for the grandkids.  He sent me packing.

box with zip bags.jpg

random stack.jpg

charlie chan.jpg

pep comics.jpg

world's finest stack.jpg

superman stack.jpg

superman collection.jpg

batman stack.jpg

batman layout.jpg

batman layout2.jpg

batman layout3.jpg

batman layout 4.jpg

Wow! That's a great story! 

On 1/29/2024 at 2:40 PM, Comics-n-ERB said:

So what do I do now??

box with zip bags.jpg

random stack.jpg

charlie chan.jpg

pep comics.jpg

world's finest stack.jpg

superman stack.jpg

superman collection.jpg

batman stack.jpg

batman layout.jpg

batman layout2.jpg

batman layout3.jpg

batman layout 4.jpg

Absolutely tremendous story and an example of the power of perseverance. Congrats! 

On 1/29/2024 at 11:40 AM, Comics-n-ERB said:

So what do I do now??

box with zip bags.jpg

random stack.jpg

charlie chan.jpg

pep comics.jpg

world's finest stack.jpg

superman stack.jpg

superman collection.jpg

batman stack.jpg

batman layout.jpg

batman layout2.jpg

batman layout3.jpg

batman layout 4.jpg

Wow, what a haul and one of the best finds I’ve heard of in quite a while. Must have kept you awake at night for years.

Odd, there were no Timelys or very few other publishers. Also odd. No Action or Detective. Still, jaw dropping and what keeps us all in the hunt.

Glad you kept some of them. Congrats on your patience! 

On 1/30/2024 at 11:44 AM, Robot Man said:

Wow, what a haul and one of the best finds I’ve heard of in quite a while. Must have kept you awake at night for years.

Odd, there were no Timelys or very few other publishers. Also odd. No Action or Detective. Still, jaw dropping and what keeps us all in the hunt.

Glad you kept some of them. Congrats on your patience! 

It was odd to me also at the time that there were not any Actions or Detectives with all the Superman's and Batman's.  Especially with all the World's Finest in the mix you would of thought he would have the other titles.  I had asked him at the time and he said that was all he had kept for all these years.  Being a Military man, I wondered if he had lost a suitcase over the years moving around. 

On 1/30/2024 at 12:46 PM, Comics-n-ERB said:

It was odd to me also at the time that there were not any Actions or Detectives with all the Superman's and Batman's.  Especially with all the World's Finest in the mix you would of thought he would have the other titles.  I had asked him at the time and he said that was all he had kept for all these years.  Being a Military man, I wondered if he had lost a suitcase over the years moving around. 

Did you get any of them graded?

On 1/30/2024 at 10:21 AM, Inhuman Fiend said:

Very cool! Think the .5 grade estimate on the Showcase 22 was harsh...looked more 1.5-ish to me

I concur!

Edited by littledoom