• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your collection?
50 50

61,051 posts in this topic

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 10:11 AM, Pontoon said:

I missed a minty-mint copy at my LCS a few weeks ago, but this one is close enough.

GSMTA2.jpg~original

And some lesser books Greggy wouldn't even blow his nose on:

CA180.jpg~original

IM66.jpg~original

Fear19r.jpg~original

Very nice.  I particularly like the Man-Thing comic book.

Edited by My young Padawan

There are dozens of books that caught my eye when I got my first Gerber PhotoJournal set almost 25 years ago..... some of them I've managed to find and snag and some I just figured I'd just have to admire someone else's image. This was one of them, and I was incredibly stoked when it popped up for sale a little while back. I had to sell a few books to swing it, seeing as tax time was coming up and all. Everett's always been a favorite and while simple, this cover always grabbed me. Now I just need to be in the right place at the right time for a Miracle Comics #1 in a nice 6.0ish condition..... GOD BLESS..

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

i821qWO.jpg

1 hour ago, jimjum12 said:

There are dozens of books that caught my eye when I got my first Gerber PhotoJournal set almost 25 years ago..... some of them I've managed to find and snag and some I just figured I'd just have to admire someone else's image. This was one of them, and I was incredibly stoked when it popped up for sale a little while back. I had to sell a few books to swing it, seeing as tax time was coming up and all. Everett's always been a favorite and while simple, this cover always grabbed me. Now I just need to be in the right place at the right time for a Miracle Comics #1 in a nice 6.0ish condition..... GOD BLESS..

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

i821qWO.jpg

Gorgeous book Jimbo!  My wife got me a set of the Gerber's this year for Christmas, and I haven't been able to put them down yet. 

I'll just throw my mini con report here, as it's not worthy of a thread unto itself.

Part 1!

This past weekend I attended Lexington Comic Con. I am astounded by how big this show has gotten, it's become one of the best shows in the area. Last year they had some crazy problems with crowds and line management, but this year they seemed to have figured most of that stuff out, and it was a much smoother experience (though Saturday was still crazy packed.)

I was on the hunt for cheap/"beat but complete" early Hulks. I was seconds late in trying to pick up a #3 (watched the guy close the deal just as I got to the booth) and I missed out on one more #3 from the dealer that sold me the #4, but over all I was pleased. And since those are the only books I was really looking for, there's my "Market Report": Early Hulks, selling fast in any shape if priced right!

So, here's what I got:

Photo Mar 14, 8 46 48 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 14, 8 46 49 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 14, 8 46 50 PM.jpg

Lex Con Pt 2!

Aside from Hulks, I was looking for dollar books, and I'm happy to say there was some excellent dollar diving to be found!  Picked up these terrific Dave Stevens books, including this very sharp Planet Comics (real chance at a 9.8, I believe) for only a buck. I thought the days of finding these in bargain bins were over, but I accumulated these from two different dealers. So they're out there, folks!

Photo Mar 14, 8 46 51 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 14, 8 26 21 PM.jpg

Otherwise, not shown here, I picked up a run of about 150 original owner, very sharp Batman books for $1 each, including nearly the entire run from around Knightfall through the Matt Wagner cover run, including my favorites, the entire Kelley Jones run. Also picked up a huge chunk of Crossed to complete my run. Also picked up several AH covers, though these are all duplicates for me.

Otherwise, here's some highlights from the dollar bins. All in all it was a terrific show for bargain buying, and I have the sore back and feet to prove it!

Photo Mar 14, 8 46 52 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 14, 8 29 55 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 14, 8 27 18 PM.jpg

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

I'll just throw my mini con report here, as it's not worthy of a thread unto itself.

Part 1!

This past weekend I attended Lexington Comic Con. I am astounded by how big this show has gotten, it's become one of the best shows in the area. Last year they had some crazy problems with crowds and line management, but this year they seemed to have figured most of that stuff out, and it was a much smoother experience (though Saturday was still crazy packed.)

I was on the hunt for cheap/"beat but complete" early Hulks. I was seconds late in trying to pick up a #3 (watched the guy close the deal just as I got to the booth) and I missed out on one more #3 from the dealer that sold me the #4, but over all I was pleased. And since those are the only books I was really looking for, there's my "Market Report": Early Hulks, selling fast in any shape if priced right!

So, here's what I got:

Love those Hulks!  Nice pickups!

22 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Thanks Doc! I can see that you're a man of good taste!

1 hour ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I'll second that! I love the early Hulks, and they getting to be both less frequently offered and quickly snatched up in any grade....I bought a small OA collection of Marvel silver (30 books, posted a few pages back) really just to get the Hulk 6 that was in the mix. Sold about a dozen to a fellow collector, still have the full Surfer set, but I know I won't keep it.  But that Ditko Hulk issue:cloud9:

6 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

I'll second that! I love the early Hulks, and they getting to be both less frequently offered and quickly snatched up in any grade....I bought a small OA collection of Marvel silver (30 books, posted a few pages back) really just to get the Hulk 6 that was in the mix. Sold about a dozen to a fellow collector, still have the full Surfer set, but I know I won't keep it.  But that Ditko Hulk issue:cloud9:

I rarely come across quality books in the wild where I live.  Maybe I'll have a little score one day, :wishluck:

Thanks guys! About the only time I run into this sort of stuff is at local-ish shows like these. I have a few LCS's nearby, but only two of them deal with much vintage material, and even then it can be slim pickings. So if I want to pick up the older stuff in person, these little cons are my best bet. And even then, I just don't see many early Hulks for sale. After I left the Lex show Saturday, I'm pretty sure the only early Hulk still available was a #4 that was priced a bit higher than what I was comfortable paying. Otherwise, everyone was cleaned out on Friday. They sell fast! Good luck hunting!