• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Fall Signature Auction
5 5

298 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

maybe next year they set in on a better date as this attendance I heard was not stellar...maybe for affordability that how they were able to get it going...best luck and hope these "pop UP" shows getter better and bigger

There are certainly things that could be done to increase support for DFF.  

Inviting a super-star vendor like Mr. Bedrock might provide a stronger foundation...  :idea:

83dbb0e6-d8f2-4554-91b2-ae8036bc1554_zps

Edited by Cat-Man_America

15 hours ago, MrBedrock said:
19 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Two sides of the Mannup booth - The side that doesn't pay the bills...

IMG_2579_zpsc3z7ylvl.jpg

And the side that does...

IMG_2580_zpsqxxsdukt.jpg

:roflmao:That was milk coming out of my nose funny! :roflmao:

On 11/20/2018 at 7:35 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

Rockin' Steve Borock is in the building for the DALLAS FANTASY FAIR this Thanksgiving weekend...  

Rumour has it he's hidden a horcrux there.

9 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Inviting a super-star vendor like Mr. Bedrock might provide a stronger foundation...  :idea:

Agreed, but its probably the date of this thing....

14 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Count me in ... provided he brings his fiddle. 

joshuabell-650x320.jpeg

Edited by Sqeggs

6 hours ago, tth2 said:

:roflmao:That was milk coming out of my nose funny! :roflmao:

I'm assuming you were overwhelmed by tariff-free mother's milk, because that certainly isn't a MANNUP beverage.   :baiting:

6 hours ago, Grantley Goddard said:

Rumour has it he's hidden a horcrux there.

Steve Borock's name was on the DFF tee, as were mine, Rox's and other guests, so maybe a horcrux tee is part of some evil plan.  Only J. K. Rowling knows for sure. (thumbsu

1 hour ago, comicjack said:

But that man has some crazy nice books :insane:

True, I'm still waiting for insanely low prices. ;)

14 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Looks like he's channelling Charlie Sheen

21 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Correction, I thought the SMASH was my sole pick-up, but the fates have intervened...

Hide contents

614e7e4c-a033-4cd5-b13c-49a6f82bbbde_zps

In auctions, being an underbidder doesn't always mean "came in second" when the top bidder doesn't come through.  :acclaim:

Dude, that's a R Cat Conrad book, big congrats !

On 10/31/2018 at 5:43 PM, sacentaur said:

One of the reasons I don’t participate in auctions is the lingering specter of shill bidding. Also, could there be non-disclosed reserves?

The Church CGC 9.6 Adventure 43 is not being auctioned by Verzyl’s estate, earlier this year it was listed for sale on a major dealer’s website (allegedly “sold” for $22,500) before then being auctioned and allegedly selling for under 17k.

If Heritage does delete a non-paying account that was indeed a shill, big deal because the same entity could simply return under another shill. Non-paying bidders negatively impact the hobby just as much as a shill, which is exacerbated if/when they are one in the same. Such   non-sales should be removed from any data source.

And if a hidden reserve isn’t met, and the book is re-auctioned, then likewise any non-sale should be removed.

Clearly something is amiss. 

For the record, though I love early Adventures I do own the Larson CGC 9.6 of this particular book so I have no interest in bidding on or acquiring the Church copy, and the above comments are my opinions only.

Seems as if something odd is going on with this book.  In addition to the sale (at a very high price) that you note from a dealer's site, here's the book's rather checkered history on Heritage:

October 2005:  $14,950

May 2010:  $6,871.25

May 2018:  $16,730

November 2018:  $9,000

Makes you wonder. hm

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Seems as if something odd is going on with this book.  In addition to the sale (at a very high price) that you note from a dealer's site, here's the book's rather checkered history on Heritage:

Makes you wonder. hm

It is a rare book in spectacular condition but one with historically limited appeal.  It is exactly the type of book that one might expect to have a wide price variation over time.

21 minutes ago, adamstrange said:
3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Makes you wonder. hm

It is a rare book in spectacular condition but one with historically limited appeal.  It is exactly the type of book that one might expect to have a wide price variation over time.

True, but three sales during 2018 for $22K, $16.7K, and $9K seems odd -- assuming that the first two sales actually happened. 

4 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

True, but three sales during 2018 for $22K, $16.7K, and $9K seems odd -- assuming that the first two sales actually happened. 

If you repeatedly bring a book to market that has a limited customer base this is a very likely outcome.

I'm not saying that everything is legit about these sales.  I'm saying that an alternative explanation that does not involve chicanery is plausible.

Just now, adamstrange said:
8 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

If you repeatedly bring a book to market that has a limited customer base this is a very likely outcome.

I'm not saying that everything is legit about these sales.  I'm saying that an alternative explanation that does not involve chicanery is plausible.

Yep.  One of those mysteries that can't be cleared up unless someone involved wants to discuss it.