• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Fall Signature Auction
5 5

298 posts in this topic

Just now, batman_fan said:

I know the model I won on Hakes came from the bid I placed the day it opened.  I didn't really look again until I got the winning email.

we now know were the bargains  are ...so keep it quite...LOL

8 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

True, but isn't understanding bidding rationale more of an art than a science?  For instance, what's esoteric to one collector may be squarely in another's wheelhouse, and likewise, what seems insignificant today may not be tomorrow.  

There are collectors who buy to complete runs, or seek specific characters, genres, topical interests, specific artists, quality or types of art, certain grades (high & low), first issues, origins or appearances, ...you name it.  This may be more true for GA than other eras, but I sure wouldn't bet on it.  As final hammer prices go, to me they seemed stronger in some areas than others (butthurt-wise, not so much, which may be why I didn't get shut out).  

The only thing I can say with certainty about any timed auction is that it always comes down to two people and how much more one bidder is willing to pay to snag a trophy than the nearest under-bidder. 

Richard, you're one of the savviest guys I know, so it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we're both looking at auction results through the most tactically efficient lenses imaginable. CrystalBall2.gif

Cat, with all due respect obviously you are the very definition of oddball.

In the past couple of years there have been so many occurrences of some low grade oddball book showing up on eBay and selling for 10, 15 or 20 times expected price...and then that anomalous sale becomes the guideline by which all subsequent sales are measured. My comment was directed not at what is oddball vs. mainstream, but at the process by which the hobby now seems to arrive at prices for items that come up for sale irregularly.

40 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Also, most of the Peanuts pieces were much softer in this auction than they have been the last year or so. I should have pulled the trigger on one or two.

I thought the prices were just right. 

A857F254-2753-4C9D-A788-DB1C5E05C0E1.jpeg

3C6586A0-26B3-4380-A0CB-6DF4BF80A959.jpeg

Edited by batman_fan

29 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

In the past couple of years there have been so many occurrences of some low grade oddball book showing up on eBay and selling for 10, 15 or 20 times expected price...and then that anomalous sale becomes the guideline by which all subsequent sales are measured. My comment was directed not at what is oddball vs. mainstream, but at the process by which the hobby now seems to arrive at prices for items that come up for sale irregularly.

Richard, we're all oddballs when it comes to speculating on comics.  The process stinks at the fish head (third party pressing & grading) down to last-man-standing auction house bidding, deep pocket buyer's premiums (that influence realized values) and selective GPA scorecard keeping.  

In fact, the idea of mainstream is crazy in the current marketplace! If the oddball book gets a good mainstream press by Matt before being graded and auctioned then the final realized price has gotta be fake news:wink:

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

Please dear god tell me you are not just realizing the bold statement above!

Cat, regardless of how big an oddball you are, we still love you :foryou:

57 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

on the scoreboard with the Badge of Justice 2 - battling with one other guy, maybe Ed? Tony?  somebody

glad to have this quirky Giordano, I know the book is out there but comes along so rarely, at least in my circles

That's a cool motorcycle cover reminiscent of Gangbusters 4, though not a swipe.

GangBusters4lg.jpg

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

the process by which the hobby now seems to arrive at prices for items that come up for sale irregularly.

It appears to involve a significant number of simians and dartboards.

2 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

In the past couple of years there have been so many occurrences of some low grade oddball book showing up on eBay and selling for 10, 15 or 20 times expected price...and then that anomalous sale becomes the guideline by which all subsequent sales are measured. 

Would this book be an example of what you are talking about:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Humor, Junie Prom Comics #5 (Dearfield, 1949) CGC FN/VF 7.0 Cream tooff-white pages....

Sold for something like $660, although I believe the CGC 9.4 graded copy of this same book sold recently on one of the auction sites that I can't seem to find anymore.  ???

Not sure if this copy sold for a soft price or a high price since there's only 4 copies that's been graded so far, with the remaining 2 copies in the lower grade range.  Definitely a nice GGA cover from my personal point of view in terms of the cheerleader.  :luhv:

1 hour ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Richard, we're all oddballs when it comes to speculating on comics.  The process stinks at the fish head (third party pressing & grading) down to last-man-standing auction house bidding, deep pocket buyer's premiums (that influence realized values) and selective GPA scorecard keeping.  

In fact, the idea of mainstream is crazy in the current marketplace! If the oddball book gets a good mainstream press by Matt before being graded and auctioned then the final realized price has gotta be fake news:wink:

CGC is reputable. Pressing is common knowledge. GPA presents the data that they are allowed to.

15 hours ago, tth2 said:

Doesn't seem like it to me.  The items I was following on Hakes all went well below what they would've sold for on Heritage.

Unless the consignor is Steve Geppi, I simply can't understand why anyone would consign comics or comic OA to Hakes. 

Hakes has been around for decades and would have strong connections to people who collect premium/licensed materials and who may have a comic or two in the collection.  It doesn't surprise me that they get some comics consigned.

3 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I thought the prices were just right. 

A857F254-2753-4C9D-A788-DB1C5E05C0E1.jpeg

3C6586A0-26B3-4380-A0CB-6DF4BF80A959.jpeg

Those are both outstanding examples from the strip!

Giordiano was a quite a swiper in his Charlton days and I think you've just posted the inspiration for Badge of Justice.

10 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Giordiano was a quite a swiper in his Charlton days and I think you've just posted the inspiration for Badge of Justice.

I thought about  bidding on that one.  I had never seen it before.  According to GCD, it reprints the Murder Inc. and speculates the cover credits as Pencils Bill Molno ?, Inks  Giordano ?.  Do you think it is all Giordano

Edited by telerites