• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Developing Winter Soldier-Falcon Limited Series for Disney’s Streaming Service
3 3

1,118 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Agreed. Same for many others, how many "spider-people" are there in the comics now? How many "Hulks"? How many "Iron-people" now? How many "Thors"? How many "Captain Marvels" (oh shoot, I said that name, sorry)?

Agreed on all fronts except Captain Marvel.  I'll allow them creating one girl version of every male hero or vice versa just so female superhero fans have something to relate to, so I'm fine with Ms Marvel, Spider-Woman, She-Hulk, Lady Thor, Lady Loki, or name your favorite gender-alternative version of an established male superhero here.  I can certainly say that my 5-year old daughter appreciates it IMMENSELY since she's only interested in the girl characters and her twin brother is only interested in the boy characters.

I certainly agree gender character alternatives don't make much rational sense, but it makes perfect emotional sense so I've always been fine with it.  And it started a LONG time ago.  Who was the first gender alternative superhero?  The earliest one I know of was Mary Marvel, the female version of the Captain Marvel figure that today is known as Shazam.

I think that original female characters are aeons better than imitation gender-swaps. Marvel has tons of them. Black Widow, Scarlet Witch, Sue Storm, Jean Grey, etc. Sadly, DC has very few; Wonder Woman, Zatanna, and...? Are Raven and Starfire big at all? lol

I prefer Sam Wilson as Falcon. As I mentioned; He's his own person with a unique skill set in piloting the EXO-7 suit. Just make Falcon as big as Captain America was. He doesn't need the mantle to be important.

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

He tells the old man he did the killing and that he had no choice.

Ah ok, thanks!  I will choose to think he expanded offscreen on why the son was so important as to be a target, and maybe that's what will provide the old man some closure.  At least that's how I'll wrap my brain around it.

2 minutes ago, Cozmo-One said:

Ah ok, thanks!  I will choose to think he expanded offscreen on why the son was so important as to be a target, and maybe that's what will provide the old man some closure.  At least that's how I'll wrap my brain around it.

I understand. It was not a well-executed scene, knowing in the end now the old man that also kind of saw him as a replacement son has to deal with loss twice-over. He even wanted to see Bucky have happiness in his life.

That only further detracted from Bucky's decision later on make Yori feel even more loss in his life. See what I mean?

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I understand. It was not a well-executed scene, knowing in the end now the old man that also kind of saw him as a replacement son has to deal with loss twice-over. He even wanted to see Bucky have happiness in his life.

That only further detracted from Bucky's decision later on make Yori feel even more loss in his life. See what I mean?

Yes, that would be devastating for sure.  I do wish they had expanded more since it was something I was waiting for since the first episode.

Overall, I enjoyed the series.  Tone was a little more...depressing (maybe?) than I usually like, just my preference...but look forward to another season if they make one.  Think it would have been more powerful to have the Flag Smashers end up being more sympathetic in their cause with a less flawed execution that didn't devolve into killing innocents.

1 hour ago, Angel of Death said:

I think that original female characters are aeons better than imitation gender-swaps. Marvel has tons of them. Black Widow, Scarlet Witch, Sue Storm, Jean Grey, etc. Sadly, DC has very few; Wonder Woman, Zatanna, and...? Are Raven and Starfire big at all? lol

I prefer Sam Wilson as Falcon. As I mentioned; He's his own person with a unique skill set in piloting the EXO-7 suit. Just make Falcon as big as Captain America was. He doesn't need the mantle to be important.

Yep. Same with other assorted variants of the same character.

10 minutes ago, Cozmo-One said:

Yes, that would be devastating for sure.  I do wish they had expanded more since it was something I was waiting for since the first episode.

Overall, I enjoyed the series.  Tone was a little more...depressing (maybe?) than I usually like, just my preference...but look forward to another season if they make one.  Think it would have been more powerful to have the Flag Smashers end up being more sympathetic in their cause with a less flawed execution that didn't devolve into killing innocents.

There were definitely enjoyable parts throughout a short show (6 episodes is larger than a 2-3 hour movie but this medium could allow for much longer storytelling).

But if I have a major complaint, that last point is one I made before. Your villain(s) sets the bar for the production. This was not the best approach.

1 hour ago, Angel of Death said:

I agree, why shouldn't women, LBTQ persons and anyone else have their own original material?  I'm not a fan of copies, they need to do a little work and use their imaginations.

9 hours ago, jcjames said:

Agreed. Same for many others, how many "spider-people" are there in the comics now? How many "Hulks"? How many "Iron-people" now? How many "Thors"? How many "Captain Marvels" (oh shoot, I said that name, sorry)? Even DC got into it with all the Bats and Robins, etc. It's so much easier to put the same costume/powers or name onto a new person than to create a new character.

Part of making a hero just one of a group of heroes is a tool to make that hero less special, and less unique. When it is overdone in an overt and repeated fashion, it is an intentional act to essentially depower that character.  For example Spider-Man is no longer the best because we have a whole mess of spider people that can do everything he can do maybe better. So it may be an act of laziness,  but it is yet another way to pass the mantel without having to pass it.  

On 4/26/2021 at 9:57 PM, drotto said:

So it may be an act of laziness,  but it is yet another way to pass the mantel without having to pass it.

Enuf is enough. It's "mantle", not "mantel." Mantel is the shelf above a fireplace. Mantle is a role or responsibility passed from one person to another.

Okay, I have to go check in with my CGC Boards parole officer now...

28 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Enuf is enough. It's "mantle", not "mantel." Mantel is the shelf above a fireplace. Mantle is a role or responsibility passed from one person to another.

Did that make you feel better now?

Meanwhile, he was sharing his views on something. Not looking for Daisy Dictionary to swoop in.

33 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Mantle was also a baseball player.  (thumbsu

Say hello to the PO for me. They did a few surprise inspections on some of the threads this morning.  

13 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Did that make you feel better now?

Meanwhile, he was sharing his views on something. Not looking for Daisy Dictionary to swoop in.

If it was only once I wouldn't care, but drotto used the word incorrectly before in a response to me not long ago. And since the "mantle" word is starting to take on more importance especially in MCU Phase Four...just trying to help out. Knowledge is power.

3 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

If it was only once I wouldn't care, but drotto used the word incorrectly before in a response to me not long ago. And since the "mantle" word is starting to take on more importance especially in MCU Phase Four...just trying to help out. Knowledge is power.

I believe English is not his first language. But I may be wrong.

On 4/26/2021 at 9:57 PM, drotto said:

Part of making a hero just one of a group of heroes is a tool to make that hero less special, and less unique. When it is overdone in an overt and repeated fashion, it is an intentional act to essentially depower that character.  For example Spider-Man is no longer the best because we have a whole mess of spider people that can do everything he can do maybe better. So it may be an act of laziness,  but it is yet another way to pass the mantel without having to pass it.  

I get his point. The passing of the title becomes downgraded if it is just a common occurrence so as to transition to someone new. It degrades the intent of such a critical plot point at times the role itself is bigger than that character holding it at the time. It transcends the individual that established the audience importance to begin with. Keep doing it, and the emotional relevance wears off.

I’ve said this previously but as this show has come to a close , I’ll reiterate . Of ALL the upcoming Marvel mini series’ I was looking forward to this the most , the first few episodes were exciting , despite the seemingly super powered abilities that Falcon and Bucky sometimes had , and sometimes didn’t . It seemed to promise us resolutions and hidden gems . By the end it delivered none of those . It was blatantly obvious in the middle of the political movements we are presently in the midst of that episode 5 just happened to be longer than the rest of the episodes . Although looking back... episode 5 was probably the penultimate episode in regards to importance regarding the series because episode 6 , the finale - felt incredibly rushed .In short , I felt they tried , at least initially to follow the path of one of Marvel’s best solo films - CA: TWS and in the end just ended up making an opinion , and one that couldn’t be more trendy if they tried .