• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Developing Winter Soldier-Falcon Limited Series for Disney’s Streaming Service
3 3

1,118 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Yes, I believe that. Marvel Studios will not reboot the MCU and recast Tony Stark and Steve Rogers in the near or distant future. It's not going to happen. Their stories in the MCU are done. As far as the Iron Person legacy goes, James Rhodes and Riri Williams will take it up up for a little while. If there needs to be a continuing story to the Stark family, Marvel will give us Morgan Stark or her son or something. The only way Tony Stark/RDJ comes back is as an AI.

I don't see why that's hard to believe. Well I guess I do. Recasting and doing it all over again is how it was done in the old days. This isn't the old days. This is a new kind of cinema and it's not going away. The MCU has enough characters and story combinations to last 100 years if they want. They have the Mutants, the Fantastic Four, Moon Knight, more Avengers. And if you do the character legacy story method they are using with character titles like Iron Man, Captain America, Hawkeye, and Black Widow (all being replaced in Phase Four with new characters), to paraphrase Steve Rogers, "Marvel could do this all day." Even a character like Moon Knight can be handed down from Mark Spector to another character. It's so easy and way more interesting than just recasting the part so you have to watch Mark Spector as Moon Knight until the end of time. Once the Fantastic Four actors start getting old, you let the kids take over to keep the family theme going.

People can say Sam Wilson isn't their Captain America or Kate Bishop isn't their Hawkeye or Yelena Belova isn't their Black Widow until the cows come home, but the fact is these MCU mantles are being passed to a new generation of heroes and Disney is not going backwards with a reboot down the road. If you want to relive the glory days of Tony Stark as Iron Man or Steve Rogers as Cap, you have 10 years of stories in Phase 1-3 you can watch and enjoy on Disney+ where these stories will live.

Plus, reboots were usually done in the old days because the franchise eventually ran itself into the ground with progressively worse sequels to the point it was all scrapped and redone with a new creative team (ie Sony Spider-Man). The MCU has not run itself into the ground but only gotten stronger over time with its evolving and connected storylines. 

Wow, you are delusional.  I known plenty of kids, and what I see from the next generation was excitement through Endgame, and now growing apathy.  There are too many options out there, and the popularity of the MCU is down.  They are switching in droves to Anime and Manga, not Marvel.

The MCU reached its peak with Endgame.  Despite all the changes a ten year run is remarkable, it is record setting, it might never be equalled, but so many people viewed it as done with that movie.  It has nothing to do with these are not my characters, it has to do with those characters were already iconic and then were put in movies.  The new ones are not. 

You can not just rely on one age group an expect to get billion dollar films, you need the broadest possible base.  Getting that base requires characters with wide and lasting appeal.  Non of the new ones have proven that appeal, some may, but to say you can eliminate all the legacy characters and expect all the new ones to be just as loved, each one of them to be a grand slam is just unreasonable. 

10 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Yes, and that return of Luke Skywalker worked out real good, didn't it? No it didn't. It ended up angering everybody including Mark Hamill himself. We saw a perfect ending to Steve Rogers and Tony Stark's stories in Endgame. The kind of perfect ending Luke Skywalker should have had if Disney had just left the Skywalker family alone and let the galaxy have its victory at the end of Return of the Jedi.

On that we agree the Disney trilogy is junk .  That does not mean that tons of people loved the return of Luke in Mandalorian. That is the Luke people wanted and they responded to it, they loved it.. They hated the groumpy get off may lawn, green milk drinking deadbeat. He is a beloved character with a massive multigenerational fan base.

Edited by drotto

7 minutes ago, drotto said:

Wow, you are delusional.  I known plenty of kids, and what I see from the next generation was excitement through Endgame, and now growing apathy.  There are too many options out there, and the popularity of the MCU is down.  They are switching in droves to Anime and Manga, not Marvel.

The MCU reached its peak with Endgame.  Despite all the changes a ten year run is remarkable, it is record setting, it might never be equalled, but so many people viewed it as done with that movie.  It has nothing to do with these are not my characters, it has to do with those characters were already iconic and then were put in movies.  The new ones are not. 

You can not just rely on one age group an expect to get billion dollar films, you need the broadest possible base.  Getting that base requires characters with wide and lasting appeal.  Non of the new ones have proven that appeal, some may, but to say you can eliminate all the legacy characters and expect all the new ones to be just as loved, each one of them to be a grand slam is just unreasonable. 

Well, obviously the narrative in your head is that the Marvel Cinematic Universe will eventually run itself into the ground with a slow death after Avengers Endgame. While in the real world, Spiderman FFH made over a billion and WandaVision and FWS streamed at the top of their class with many saying WandaVision was their favorite MCU story besides the Infinity War films. Theaters and fans worldwide are anticipating the release of Black Widow and the lady who directed Eternals just swept the Oscars. I'd say the MCU's future is quite bright without Tony Stark or Steve Rogers. As I said in a post a while back, at least I don't have to listen to their constant bickering anymore.

4 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Recasting was the obvious thing to do back in the old days of trilogies and such before the MCU was a thing. That's over as far as Marvel Studios movies go. From Iron Man on, the Marvel Movie Universe is a continuous evolving story where we grow with these heroes and this universe in real time. With that, the actors who embody these characters are as tied to them as Mark Hamill or Harrison Ford are to Luke Skywalker and Han Solo. While Chris Evans isn't really Steve Rogers, he IS Steve Rogers. There is no replacing Steve Rogers in this living breathing universe, just as they most likely won't recast T-Challa because Chadwick Boseman is T'Challa. 

1) Umm...surely mean "From The Avengers on," given that the actors who played both Jim Rhodes and Bruce Banner were replaced after Iron Man.

2) Chris Evans is absolutely replaceable as Steve Rogers. Just as Michael Keaton was infinitely replaceable as Bruce Wayne and we've already seen three different actors play Bruce Banner.

Do you *really* think it's going to be another decade before we see a live-action Wolverine again? It may not be Hugh Jackman, but to think we're going to see only X-23 or Dakken or whomever for the foreseeable future because eventually Hugh Jackman will retire is just crazy.

1 hour ago, drotto said:

On that we agree the Disney trilogy is junk .  That does not mean that tons of people loved the return of Luke in Mandalorian. That is the Luke people wanted and they responded to it, they loved it.. They hated the groumpy get off may lawn, green milk drinking deadbeat. He is a beloved character with a massive multigenerational fan base.

Either prove to us you are colorblind, or turn in your Star Wars fan card. :sumo:

42 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

1) Umm...surely mean "From The Avengers on," given that the actors who played both Jim Rhodes and Bruce Banner were replaced after Iron Man.

2) Chris Evans is absolutely replaceable as Steve Rogers. Just as Michael Keaton was infinitely replaceable as Bruce Wayne and we've already seen three different actors play Bruce Banner.

Do you *really* think it's going to be another decade before we see a live-action Wolverine again? It may not be Hugh Jackman, but to think we're going to see only X-23 or Dakken or whomever for the foreseeable future because eventually Hugh Jackman will retire is just crazy.

1. Besides those two hiccups, the continuity of the MCU has been pretty continuous. Does Incredible Hulk even count anymore anyway? For me, the MCU Hulk begins with Avengers.

2. But what I've been saying for the past 5 or 6 posts is that the Batman movies are different franchises not a continuous movie story universe like the MCU and I don't feel like explaining that again...

3. Again, Hugh Jackman was Wolverine in the Fox movies. I'm talking about the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Yes, there will be a new Wolverine in the Marvel Cinematic Universe because it's a different franchise. I guess I'm not explaining myself clearly enough maybe?

Just now, drotto said:
19 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Either prove to us you are colorblind, or turn in your Star Wars fan card. :sumo:

Sorry blue, I was typing at work when I should not have been.

I'll forgive you, but I don't know about the rest of these guys. (shrug)

:kidaround:

18 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

1. Besides those two hiccups, the continuity of the MCU has been pretty continuous. Does Incredible Hulk even count anymore anyway? For me, the MCU Hulk begins with Avengers.

2. But what I've been saying for the past 5 or 6 posts is that the Batman movies are different franchises not a continuous movie story universe like the MCU and I don't feel like explaining that again...

3. Again, Hugh Jackman was Wolverine in the Fox movies. I'm talking about the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Yes, there will be a new Wolverine in the Marvel Cinematic Universe because it's a different franchise. I guess I'm not explaining myself clearly enough maybe?

Because only the MCU is perfect and their casting will be the definitive version of the character.  Until Marvel cast a character, it does not count, but once done that will be the last version we ever see.

Am I getting this right now?

2 minutes ago, drotto said:

Because only the MCU is perfect and their casting will be the definitive version of the character.  Until Marvel cast a character, it does not count, but once done that will be the last version we ever see.

Am I getting this right now?

Besides the Incredible Hulk, the MCU hasn't really had a single miss. Even Thor 2 was somewhat a hit. With a worldwide following that's only equaled by Star Wars fandom, yes, you could say that the MCU has been kind of perfect so far in its execution. And yes, once Marvel owns that character and debuts it in the MCU, that is the final version of that character. Yes, that's correct.  When Jennifer Walters debuts in She-Hulk, that will be the final version of Jen Walters in the movies. Yes. That's the way MCU is supposed to work.

Now, this is all assuming that Disney doesn't implode as a company and Marvel Studios has to sell its characters off again to Warner Brothers or whoever. Then you might see reboots. But I don't see that happening. If Disney dies, you can probably consider that a sign of the end times.

Think of the MCU like Star Trek. It's an ever growing universe with hundreds of characters and starships that's been non-stop since the 60's. Yes, you've got that JJ Abrams version with the young Enterprise crew, but it's still not a reboot. It's younger versions of the older characters.

2 hours ago, drotto said:

:whistle:

FB_IMG_1617140592584.jpg.19b90c69b2e50fec19516b25dd81f6ae.jpgAlso....20201219_221638.jpg.fb2fe2319b84510e2d791a799a2f2d68.jpg

Without quoting some of comments here I will just say Marvel will absolutely be re-casting Iron Man (Tony Stark) and Captain America (Steve Rogers) eventually after they are done with X-men and Fantastic Four.  

You think Falcon can take the place of the real CAP going forward? lollollollol 

They can barely pull off an ok but for the most part forgettable Disney+ TV show.  Part of me watched the show just to see if Chris Evans was going to make a cameo.  There is a reason why these C-Level characters won't get movies.  

Sidekicks don't sell enough movie tickets.

Miles Morals is very popular, but when Ultimate Fallout #4 goes up, AF 15 goes up with it.

Its a cool segment to see Falcon to become his version of Captain America, but honestly did anyone believe in him more than Steve Rogers?  Yeah prob not.

At the end of the day people and fans want the original Hero not his/her cheap sidekick knock-off. 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

2 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Think of the MCU like Star Trek. It's an ever growing universe with hundreds of characters and starships that's been non-stop since the 60's. Yes, you've got that JJ Abrams version with the young Enterprise crew, but it's still not a reboot. It's younger versions of the older characters.

Ancient One explained to Bruce Banner that any deviation of the timeline would change everything.

Steve Rogers lived out his life changing the timeline every minute for 70 years.  Loki picked up the infinity stone and disappeared.

Every possible version of the MCU would be canon, if you just say it's a result of either of those events (or any events that happened after those events).

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

Ancient One explained to Bruce Banner that any deviation of the timeline would change everything.

Steve Rogers lived out his life changing the timeline every minute for 70 years.  Loki picked up the infinity stone and disappeared.

Every possible version of the MCU would be canon, if you just say it's a result of either of those events (or any events that happened after those events).

Once they open the box that is the multiverse,  all bets are off. Recasting for everyone!!!!! It is OK because it is a new world, a fresh start.

4 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

Without quoting some of comments here I will just say Marvel will absolutely be re-casting Iron Man (Tony Stark) and Captain America (Steve Rogers) eventually after they are done with X-men and Fantastic Four.

No they won't. Who are they going to recast Tony Stark with? Some dude who does an excellent Robert Downey Jr impersonation? Is that even possible? After X-Men and Fantastic Four is Disney going to just completely scrap the twenty years of stories that's built up and just start from scratch again? You might say so, but I say that's ludicrous. You can keep telling a story about a person flying around in high tech armor without it only being about Tony Stark. As long as the person wearing that Iron suit is interesting, then the movie will be interesting. That person could be Morgan Stark, Tony Stark Jr (Morgan's imaginary son I just made up), James Rhodes' nephew, Riri Williams, anybody. As long as it's a compelling story with a cool character, people will follow it.

1 minute ago, bentbryan said:

Not you! I’m talking to Captain Color-Blind :hi:

I humbly except my strike.  How many strikes would I have gotten for insisting the MCU is never wrong, will never recast, and has an endless supply of amazing replacement characters that will always be loved and embraced?

2 hours ago, drotto said:

The George Lucas Prequel Trilogy is also junk. Junkier than the Disney Trilogy imo.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, IMO there's one Star Wars. It came out in 1977 and ended in 1983. After that, everything else is either a very expensive fan film or a re-release.

And Mandalorian is the only decent live action Star Wars fan film because Favreau and that Dave Fillion (sp) guy did such a great impression of the first two Star Wars movies. They understand the samurai roots of Star Wars and understand the importance of the slow burn style of filmmaking of those first movies to make it feel like we are watching a seamless continuous story of the real Star Wars.