• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Developing Winter Soldier-Falcon Limited Series for Disney’s Streaming Service
3 3

1,118 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

No they won't. Who are they going to recast Tony Stark with? Some dude who does an excellent Robert Downey Jr impersonation? Is that even possible? After X-Men and Fantastic Four is Disney going to just completely scrap the twenty years of stories that's built up and just start from scratch again? You might say so, but I say that's ludicrous. You can keep telling a story about a person flying around in high tech armor without it only being about Tony Stark. As long as the person wearing that Iron suit is interesting, then the movie will be interesting. That person could be Morgan Stark, Tony Stark Jr (Morgan's imaginary son I just made up), James Rhodes' nephew, Riri Williams, anybody. As long as it's a compelling story with a cool character, people will follow it.

I think it would be fun if Howard Stark had another brilliant, but illegitimate, child with some totally new MCU character (not based on the comics) played by Christina Hendricks.

THE ROMANOFFS Casts Isabelle Huppert, Christina Hendricks And John Slattery  | Birth.Movies.Death.

12 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Besides the Incredible Hulk, the MCU hasn't really had a single miss. Even Thor 2 was somewhat a hit. With a worldwide following that's only equaled by Star Wars fandom, yes, you could say that the MCU has been kind of perfect so far in its execution. And yes, once Marvel owns that character and debuts it in the MCU, that is the final version of that character. Yes, that's correct.  When Jennifer Walters debuts in She-Hulk, that will be the final version of Jen Walters in the movies. Yes. That's the way MCU is supposed to work.

Now, this is all assuming that Disney doesn't implode as a company and Marvel Studios has to sell its characters off again to Warner Brothers or whoever. Then you might see reboots. But I don't see that happening. If Disney dies, you can probably consider that a sign of the end times.

Think of the MCU like Star Trek. It's an ever growing universe with hundreds of characters and starships that's been non-stop since the 60's. Yes, you've got that JJ Abrams version with the young Enterprise crew, but it's still not a reboot. It's younger versions of the older characters.

I think everyone gets it anything the MCU does it's perfect in your eyes. Including with every Disney+ show episode each was amazing. Reality, it's been a fantastic run with more than a few bumps in the road.

With the situation of Ed Norton rewriting The Incredible Hulk ---script a month before shooting, Captain America: The First Avenger just breaking even (good on Feige pushing on), Iron Man 2 performing far below Iron Man (2008) and even Thor (2011) performing further below Iron Man II (yet it is in my Top 10 of MCU film), it has not been perfect.

It wasn't until Avengers (2012) that then everything was a large hit. Though then with Thor: The Dark World it went through four (4) directors - Kenneth Branagh to Brian Kirk to Patty Jenkins to finally (though they considered Daniel Minahan) Alan Taylor. In the end, the movie performed better than Thor (2011), but only 3.8X budget compared to Iron Man (2008) at 4.2X budget. Then we have the situation with Ant-Man where Edgar Wright's blowup with the MCC led to his departing the director's chair leading to Peyton Reed. Thank goodness the MCU kept the influences of the Wright ---script as the film ended up being a fun ride after all.

'Perfect' is something different than some of the reality of history. Yet anyone would agree it is a success story for the ages.

Edited by Bosco685

9 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

No they won't. Who are they going to recast Tony Stark with? Some dude who does an excellent Robert Downey Jr impersonation? Is that even possible? After X-Men and Fantastic Four is Disney going to just completely scrap the twenty years of stories that's built up and just start from scratch again? You might say so, but I say that's ludicrous. You can keep telling a story about a person flying around in high tech armor without it only being about Tony Stark. As long as the person wearing that Iron suit is interesting, then the movie will be interesting. That person could be Morgan Stark, Tony Stark Jr (Morgan's imaginary son I just made up), James Rhodes' nephew, Riri Williams, anybody. As long as it's a compelling story with a cool character, people will follow it.

I know you hate the comparison to the print industry, but it the only one we currently have.  If these new characters are so loved and amazing, then why is the US comic book industry circling the drain, when Manga sales are through the roof? This is proof kids and young adults are not embracing these characters, but are very happy to embrace different characters in print media. This proves print media is still viable, it is US comics that are failing.  

If the characters are as good as you claim, they should be saving the comic industry, but yet it is on life support. It seems foolish for the MCU to put their faith in new characters with no track record of success in other media.

27 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Yup cause after Michael Keaton Batman was never re-casted.  :eyeroll:

You're right you cant keep re-telling a story where a kid that walks on walls, man that fly's, and a vengeful kid whose parents were killed in an alley way.  It will never happen.  I stand corrected, thank you very much lol 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Does Incredible Hulk even count anymore anyway? For me, the MCU Hulk begins with Avengers.

Da Fuq? 

Did you miss that Col. Ross and Tony Stark appear in the post-credits scene of Incredible Hulk? It's definitely in continuity...

Man...this reminds me of how bad I feel for all those folks who got Thomas Jane to sign their key Punisher books.

Hey @valiantman- any way to do a quick search on whether there are any Dolph Lundgren Signature Series Punisher books?

47 minutes ago, drotto said:

I humbly except my strike.  How many strikes would I have gotten for insisting the MCU is never wrong, will never recast, and has an endless supply of amazing replacement characters that will always be loved and embraced?

Too be honest the strike machine doesn’t go that high! At least yours was an honest mistake so let’s say strike-lite! 
:tink:

21 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Da Fuq? 

Did you miss that Col. Ross and Tony Stark appear in the post-credits scene of Incredible Hulk? It's definitely in continuity...

Man...this reminds me of how bad I feel for all those folks who got Thomas Jane to sign their key Punisher books.

Hey @valiantman- any way to do a quick search on whether there are any Dolph Lundgren Signature Series Punisher books?

I know Incredible Hulk is part of the MCU continuity, but I think Marvel Studios kind of likes to pretend the movie doesn't exist while having to kind of acknowledge that it does, sort of like a black sheep relative or something. I mean, according to that movie, Hulk's origin is tied to the Super Soldier program. Ugh. If Incredible Hulk never makes it to Disney+ I think they'd would be okay with it. It's a horrible movie. Like I said, for me, Hulk's start in the MCU starts with Avengers. That's just me.

As far as re-casting...Christopher Reeve was the living embodiment of Clark Kent/ Superman.  There will never be another like him and still I think Henry Cavill makes one heck of a Superman. True, they are not in the same cinematic universe and occupy  different eras but the level of character is unmatched and that absolutely counts in this argument.  It can be done. It’s not easy but I doubt very little is when making these films. 
2c

44 minutes ago, bentbryan said:

As far as re-casting...Christopher Reeve was the living embodiment of Clark Kent/ Superman.  There will never be another like him and still I think Henry Cavill makes one heck of a Superman. True, they are not in the same cinematic universe and occupy  different eras but the level of character is unmatched and that absolutely counts in this argument.  It can be done. It’s not easy but I doubt very little is when making these films. 
2c

1 hour ago, NewWorldOrder said:

Yup cause after Michael Keaton Batman was never re-casted.  :eyeroll:

You're right you cant keep re-telling a story where a kid that walks on walls, man that fly's, and a vengeful kid whose parents were killed in an alley way.  It will never happen.  I stand corrected, thank you very much lol 

Okay. Again, what Marvel Studios is doing is something completely different from what's happened before. For the past 12+ years, Marvel Studios has been creating and wants to continue to create a living breathing Cinematic Universe that has no ending. That's the goal. That's the dream. They want their Marvel Cinema Universe to span possibly hundreds of connected movies and Disney+ episodes that tell a (generally) single connected story and where you find its Chapter One in the first Iron Man movie. And if you want to tap into this story, you'll find the library on Disney+. To just scrap it all and reboot everything from scratch would destroy that continuous library that Disney/Marvel Studios wants to build.

Think of the MCU like America's story. Tony Stark is like George Washington, Steve Rogers is like Thomas Jefferson, Thor is maybe Ben Franklin. These guys are the Founding Fathers of the MCU, but it doesn't end with them. New talented individuals come along to add to the story.

The MCU wants to be that. A cinematic universe that continues to grow and doesn't start over.

The MCU will not reboot. That's the plan anyway.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

Also, remember, Tony Stark is only a cultural icon because Marvel Studios and Robert Downey Jr made him that. Before that, Tony Stark was just another comic book character and not even one of Marvel Comics' more interesting ones. Robert Downey Jr was lightning in a bottle. Marvel Studios just has to do it again. Thing is, they've done it over and over and over from Chris Hemsworth to Chadwick Boseman. I trust that Marvel Studios will continue to keep giving us memorable characters and stories without having to give us some reboot of Tony Stark and Steve Rogers.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

6 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Also, remember, Tony Stark is only a cultural icon because Marvel Studios and Robert Downey Jr made him that. Before that, Tony Stark was just another comic book character and not even one of Marvel Comics' more interesting ones. Robert Downey Jr was lightning in a bottle. Marvel Studios just has to do it again. Thing is, they've done it over and over and over from Chris Hemsworth to Chadwick Boseman. I trust that Marvel Studios will continue to keep giving us memorable characters and stories without having to give us some reboot of Tony Stark and Steve Rogers.

Nobody has said anything about rebooting, only recasting.  It is not the same thing.  If fans want more stories with these characters that you say their time has past,  and the company wants to make money, they will eventually do it.  The IP is far to valuable to permanently sideline valuable characters. 

8 minutes ago, drotto said:

Nobody has said anything about rebooting, only recasting.  It is not the same thing.  If fans want more stories with these characters that you say their time has past,  and the company wants to make money, they will eventually do it.  The IP is far to valuable to permanently sideline valuable characters. 

Tony Stark died in Avengers Endgame. If Marvel Studios recasts the character to play Iron Man again, it means a reboot or start over of the current MCU.

43 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Tony Stark died in Avengers Endgame. If Marvel Studios recasts the character to play Iron Man again, it means a reboot or start over of the current MCU.

Wrong, the movie you have been saying will save all the theaters by its shear MCU awesomeness, called Black Widow, is about a dead character. Plus, there are rumors they are going to resurrect the character. So you can never say never, and bringing back a character does not necessitate a reboot. Plus, the least permanent thing in comic book worlds is death.

Edited by drotto

37 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

So you are saying Marvel and Disney are okay with never making any more future money with Tony Stark as Iron Man and Steve Rodgers as Captain America.  Is that what you are seriously in print telling everyone here? :popcorn:

Come on man lol 

I agree its not the plan right now, but rest assured at some point in the next 10 years you will be seeing them again. Prob not RDJ but I think its a 50/50 shot we see Chris Evans as Cap again since he is only 39 right now.  Chris will get the itch again to play him.

I think its a very high % Tony Stark and Steve Rodgers will be back at some point in the future with different actors.  Sorry, but why would Disney shelf two of the most popular Marvel characters of all time for C-Level characters.  Come on dude really?

This is comic books, no one is dead forever.......

26 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

So you are saying Marvel and Disney are okay with never making any more future money with Tony Stark as Iron Man and Steve Rodgers as Captain America.  Is that what you are seriously in print telling everyone here? :popcorn:

Come on man lol 

I agree its not the plan right now, but rest assured at some point in the next 10 years you will be seeing them again. Prob not RDJ but I think its a 50/50 shot we see Chris Evans as Cap again since he is only 39 right now.  Chris will get the itch again to play him.

I think its a very high % Tony Stark and Steve Rodgers will be back at some point in the future with different actors.  Sorry, but why would Disney shelf two of the most popular Marvel characters of all time for C-Level characters.  Come on dude really?

Because, Marvel has an endless reservoir of characters destined to become ultra popular and sustain the MCU for the next 100 years. Each will be better and more important, and more liked than the ones that came before. They can easily discard what came before, because it is really easy creating characters that reach icon status, the MCU is batting 100% so far.  :baiting:

Edited by drotto

12 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

how bad I feel for all those folks who got Thomas Jane to sign their key Punisher books.

lollollol 

10 hours ago, drotto said:

Wrong, the movie you have been saying will save all the theaters by its shear MCU awesomeness, called Black Widow, is about a dead character. Plus, there are rumors they are going to resurrect the character. So you can never say never, and bringing back a character does not necessitate a reboot. Plus, the least permanent thing in comic book worlds is death.

The Black Widow movie is going to introduce the MCU’s new Black Widow, Yelena Belova. ScarJo’s Natasha Romanoff is dead and is not being resurrected. The only reason she got a movie posthumously is because the character deserved it and to also pass the mantle to Florence Pugh’s character who is already slated for a feature role in the Hawkeye show. And years from now,  Yelena  will probably pass the mantle to another Black Widow, perhaps Ava Orlova or somebody else.

12 hours ago, NewWorldOrder said:

Come on man lol 

I say that Marvel and Disney are confident enough in their storytelling and hype abilities to continue to tell compelling tales within the MCU without having to resurrect Tony Stark or Steve Rogers somehow.

I'm not saying RDJ will never come back, but if he comes back, it's going to be as an AI, which would fit in with the continuing story of the MCU.

Regarding your theory that Tony Stark will be back with a different actor...first, the Tony Stark that the world loves is Robert Downey Jr's Tony Stark. In the MCU, Stark is indelibly tied to RDJ. The MCU Stark had RDJ's mannerisms, peculiar sense of humor, timing, everything. Do you think some guy like Ryan Gosling Jr or somebody is going to come in and just become Tony Stark? It won't be anything nearly the same and would really just destroy the incredible luck Disney had with RDJ and destroy the character's legacy. It would just be some dude named Tony Stark who wouldn't stand a chance of equaling what RDJ accomplished on screen. Why would Disney do that? They won't. There will most likely continue to be an Iron Person character in the MCU (as that's what sells on the lunch boxes and school backpacks merch, not Tony Stark's goateed face), but it will be a different character. Tony Stark will continue to live on in the MCU, but as a legacy and as a Founding Father of the MCU Avengers, and maybe an AI.

If Ryan Gosling Jr or whoever wants to come in and wear the Iron suit, fine, he can drive fancy cars, date fashion models, and be a genius jerk all day long, but he will have a different name. Maybe his last name will be Stark, but it won't be Tony Stark.