• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

show us your Mile Highs (Edgar Church copies)
7 7

641 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Robot Man said:

McLaughlin was a big buyer's of the Church books. Back when he first found them, Chuck was informed by his tax person not to sell any more than $10K worth at a time. So he would invite in a buyer with $10K to spend at Chuck's prices once a year. John was one of those guys. He had money to burn and everyone knew it. One of my friends had a store in Orange County and knew John well. He took me over to his house once after one of John's buying trips. There were stacks and stacks of unbagged Church boxes all over the living room. One stack was mostly Chesslers. One of John's many cats had peed on them. If you ever bump into a Chessler with a "water stain" it is most likely cat pee... 

Some of the early $10K buyers were John, Verzyl and Redbeard. They had the foresight to buy as many of the cheaper Church books as possible. These were the ones not stored in the closet but on the floor in the basement. These were the later ones and probably included any of the Baker books in the collection. Many, Edgar had bought used and thusly, slightly lower grade. Here is a Whiz I picked up from Ron many years ago. Note the pencil marking in the cloud and the letter "D" above it.

comwhiz128milehigh1.jpg

comwhiz128milehigh2.jpg

thanks for sharing that story.... fascinating.

18 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I was at the Casual Con in Buena Park, CA when Chuck first brought out the Church books. I was into PCH, Crime and SOTI books at the time. Everyone was hitting the big super hero boxes but I was on the other ones. Lots of books in the $6-15 range. 

:whatthe:

Pays to be one of those “grumpy old guys” sometimes. 

2 regrets though. 1) wish I had more money and 2) wish I had kept all of them. 

I probably spent $125.-150. that day. Nothing by today’s standards but that was a lot of money at the time. It bought a lot of books. Like Chuck, I was a young hippie kid. Just moved out and making $3. An hour and that was probably a months rent. 

On 11/30/2019 at 8:50 PM, Timely said:

I used to own the Mile High copies of Action Comics #25, 28, 30, 34-36, 38, 41, 48, 50, 57, 59, 61, 63-66, 68-71, 74, 76-78, 81, 87, 96-99 & 102. Generally speaking over the years most are still the Highest Graded Copies!

So you had the 71 that Cpt Kirk now owns (the comment above ;) )?

That 71 is scarce, and so rarely being traded.

On 8/26/2021 at 7:43 PM, Adamster said:

So you had the 71 that Cpt Kirk now owns (the comment above ;) )?

That 71 is scarce, and so rarely being traded.

Wow... And I owned the Action 76 for about 15 years.  I sold it so I could buy a 21-foot Yamaha jet boat, which was a great trade.  But I always loved that Action 71 and have held onto it for more than 20 years now.