• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,503 posts in this topic

Wow, Omar announced that Marvel is finally doing a Godzilla Omni! This is pretty amazing. I thought the announcements of ROM and Micronauts were surprising, and it gave me some hope that this one may come to be, but it's still very exciting and unexpected.

Finished Invincible Compendium volume 2 hardcover. What a great read. Now I've got to wait a few weeks for my copy of volume 3. What a bummer! I honestly haven't enjoyed a book this much in years. 

On 11/10/2023 at 12:18 PM, Cat said:

Finished Invincible Compendium volume 2 hardcover. What a great read. Now I've got to wait a few weeks for my copy of volume 3. What a bummer! I honestly haven't enjoyed a book this much in years. 

You are really barreling through these. I started the Road to No Man's Land Omnibus a few weeks ago and been reading through that. It is an excellent story, but there is so much to the entire No Man's Land reading that it feels like it takes forever to get through. LOL!

I don't have an ETA on my Invincible Compendium at the moment, since I ordered it from OrganicPricedBooks since they have a nice sale going on right now for Invincible books.

On 11/11/2023 at 4:29 AM, captainzombie said:

You are really barreling through these. I started the Road to No Man's Land Omnibus a few weeks ago and been reading through that. It is an excellent story, but there is so much to the entire No Man's Land reading that it feels like it takes forever to get through. LOL!

I don't have an ETA on my Invincible Compendium at the moment, since I ordered it from OrganicPricedBooks since they have a nice sale going on right now for Invincible books.

I promised myself I was going to space this one out too, but once I got it, I couldn't stop myself. And I restricted myself to only bedtime reading too. 

I really hope you enjoy it even half as much as I have. 

On 11/10/2023 at 1:29 PM, captainzombie said:

That long stretch of stories in Batman, from the Moench/Jones run, into Legacy, Contagion, Cataclysm, etc and then No Man's Land, is absolutely one of my favorite eras. Just one great story after another, and NML was so sprawling and epic. Felt like real editorial cohesion between the various Bat-titles. Great stuff. I've got all of the recent omnis, but am holding off on my reread, as I am hoping they eventually collect all of the post-Crisis stuff that they published in the Caped Crusader/Dark Knight Detective tpbs, into a set of omnis. I'd like to reread the entire post-Crisis run, from Year One through Morrison, all in one go, like I did month to month over the years.

On 11/13/2023 at 4:20 PM, F For Fake said:

Bah, I just paid full price for that Marvel Age omni. $50 is a steal.

On 11/13/2023 at 5:04 PM, Dave2739 said:

Bah, I just paid full price for that Marvel Age omni. $50 is a steal.

Yeah I hedged my bets on that one maybe getting discounted further, paid off this time, but it doesn’t always! At least you’ve got it in hand and don’t have to worry about it selling out!

On 11/13/2023 at 7:25 AM, F For Fake said:

That long stretch of stories in Batman, from the Moench/Jones run, into Legacy, Contagion, Cataclysm, etc and then No Man's Land, is absolutely one of my favorite eras. Just one great story after another, and NML was so sprawling and epic. Felt like real editorial cohesion between the various Bat-titles. Great stuff. I've got all of the recent omnis, but am holding off on my reread, as I am hoping they eventually collect all of the post-Crisis stuff that they published in the Caped Crusader/Dark Knight Detective tpbs, into a set of omnis. I'd like to reread the entire post-Crisis run, from Year One through Morrison, all in one go, like I did month to month over the years.

So far it has been one great story after another with this. It was like all of the writers and artists were told exactly what they needed to write on and they worked on a cohesive story. It doesn't feel like that at all these days with the stories being told. While I am still getting Batman each month, I'm just planning to go back and read these awesome stories. The Hush Omnibus also just released which is a perfect read after I am done with No Man's Land. I never did read Infinite Crisis and I hear that it is also a good read. 

On 11/13/2023 at 7:42 PM, captainzombie said:

So far it has been one great story after another with this. It was like all of the writers and artists were told exactly what they needed to write on and they worked on a cohesive story. It doesn't feel like that at all these days with the stories being told. While I am still getting Batman each month, I'm just planning to go back and read these awesome stories. The Hush Omnibus also just released which is a perfect read after I am done with No Man's Land. I never did read Infinite Crisis and I hear that it is also a good read. 

I was a hardcore Bat guy most of my life, and had a complete run of all of the titles, including one-shots and minis, from Year One through Rebirth. I eventually realized that I just didn't care anymore, and stopped buying new books, and sold the collection in favor of hardcovers, as most of that material has been collected, with a few notable exceptions. Still love the character and have great nostalgia for big chunks of the run, but there's just too much content to keep up with these days, and I no longer care to chase it all down.

On 11/14/2023 at 9:14 AM, F For Fake said:

I was a hardcore Bat guy most of my life, and had a complete run of all of the titles, including one-shots and minis, from Year One through Rebirth. I eventually realized that I just didn't care anymore, and stopped buying new books, and sold the collection in favor of hardcovers, as most of that material has been collected, with a few notable exceptions. Still love the character and have great nostalgia for big chunks of the run, but there's just too much content to keep up with these days, and I no longer care to chase it all down.

I have started taking your approach as I down size with single issues and runs. I'll keep the keys that I have not gotten graded yet and my graded books, but I am moving towards this direction now. I love the thought of Omnibus and being able to go back and read a run via a hardcover collection. There are only 2-3 titles where I will keep the entire run such as The Walking Dead for example, but I am slowly clearing out single issues and runs in favor of going this route. I even have started to cutdown on my weekly new books. So many of the stories being told now is not that good (especially with Marvel moving to $5 a book in January as standard price) and if something turns out to be good, I'd rather get it collected down the road.

I had a good 15+ year lapse from comic books, so getting back into it trying to catch up on the good stories I missed out on, I think the Omnibus route has been a good way.

This past weekend I ordered Thunderbolts Vol. 1 Omni which had just come back in stock at DCBS and some of the prices on eBay were a bit more than I wanted to pay for it.

On 11/14/2023 at 10:34 AM, captainzombie said:

I have started taking your approach as I down size with single issues and runs. I'll keep the keys that I have not gotten graded yet and my graded books, but I am moving towards this direction now. I love the thought of Omnibus and being able to go back and read a run via a hardcover collection. There are only 2-3 titles where I will keep the entire run such as The Walking Dead for example, but I am slowly clearing out single issues and runs in favor of going this route. I even have started to cutdown on my weekly new books. So many of the stories being told now is not that good (especially with Marvel moving to $5 a book in January as standard price) and if something turns out to be good, I'd rather get it collected down the road.

I had a good 15+ year lapse from comic books, so getting back into it trying to catch up on the good stories I missed out on, I think the Omnibus route has been a good way.

This past weekend I ordered Thunderbolts Vol. 1 Omni which had just come back in stock at DCBS and some of the prices on eBay were a bit more than I wanted to pay for it.

I still love comics and have a few boxes of them, but it eventually dawned on me that I was unlikely to ever return and reread all of those individual issues, which were stored away in boxes never to be looked upon again, in all likelihood. At least with a hardcover or trade, it's there sitting on the bookshelf where I can see it, and easily pull it down to leaf through if I want. There's no right or wrong way to collect, but these days I'm definitely a collected editions guy. And yes, the price was a big motivator as well. With Batman I was a completist, which meant grabbing every cover. There was a period where they were publishing the title twice a month, and each issue had (at least) two covers, so that was about $20 for two stories which would take me about 5 minutes to read, only to be stuck in a box and never looked at again. The math just didn't add up anymore. I still buy back issues here and there, some slabs, some raw, but the monthly floppy just isn't for me anymore. The one exception is my Alien collection, which I keep going even though I haven't cared for the Marvel books much at all.

On 11/14/2023 at 10:39 AM, F For Fake said:

I still love comics and have a few boxes of them, but it eventually dawned on me that I was unlikely to ever return and reread all of those individual issues, which were stored away in boxes never to be looked upon again, in all likelihood. At least with a hardcover or trade, it's there sitting on the bookshelf where I can see it, and easily pull it down to leaf through if I want. There's no right or wrong way to collect, but these days I'm definitely a collected editions guy. And yes, the price was a big motivator as well. With Batman I was a completist, which meant grabbing every cover. There was a period where they were publishing the title twice a month, and each issue had (at least) two covers, so that was about $20 for two stories which would take me about 5 minutes to read, only to be stuck in a box and never looked at again. The math just didn't add up anymore. I still buy back issues here and there, some slabs, some raw, but the monthly floppy just isn't for me anymore. The one exception is my Alien collection, which I keep going even though I haven't cared for the Marvel books much at all.

Quite a bit here that I agree with and can relate to. I just have to be careful to not go too crazy with the hardcovers as I downsize my raw collection.

On 11/14/2023 at 10:41 AM, Dave2739 said:

Quite a bit here that I agree with and can relate to. I just have to be careful to not go too crazy with the hardcovers as I downsize my raw collection.

Oh for sure, it's every bit as addictive as collecting individual books, and also takes up a lot more space as well! Even though I really love looking at my library, I sometimes think "Am I seriously ever going to read that book again in my lifetime?" In these instances I choose to believe I'm going to live an unnaturally long time, so it's sane to hold onto them!

On 11/14/2023 at 8:41 AM, Dave2739 said:

I'm out of shelf space!

On 11/14/2023 at 11:08 AM, piper said:

I'm out of shelf space!

The struggle is real! I have a couple of small stacks of omnis that need to be filed into the collection, and I'm thinking I may have to let go of a few things to make room, or else they may just have to stay in stacks!

On 11/14/2023 at 11:53 AM, captainzombie said:

I know how you guys feel. I've turned our bedroom walk-in closet into half of my comic book room. One day when my wife saw one side with a ton of BCW slab boxes overtake her area, she's like what is this....BLEEP. LOL!

My wife used to just walk into my office/library, look around the room, and then say "Sell this." I didn't ,so I guess she's given up.

On 11/14/2023 at 2:02 PM, F For Fake said:

My wife used to just walk into my office/library, look around the room, and then say "Sell this." I didn't ,so I guess she's given up.

I'm very fortunate. My wife isn't really into my comic collection but she understands that I'm into it and doesn't tell me what to do or not do. Even when I make big purchases (which I don't do too often), she's very cool about it.