• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,503 posts in this topic

On 9/14/2023 at 9:49 AM, F For Fake said:

Can't believe this sucker is actually here. Years and years of solicits, cancellations, re-solicits, rinse and repeat. And even once it was released, it took him two weeks to ship and get to me, which is very odd for IST these days. In recent months I've been getting my shipments in a matter of days. Should have known that Phantom Stranger would keep taking his time. Looking forward to digging into it. 

IMG_5166.JPG

IMG_5167.JPG

IMG_5168.JPG

I might need to sell off my floppies!  My copy is waiting for me at my LCS!

On 9/14/2023 at 11:49 AM, F For Fake said:

Can't believe this sucker is actually here. Years and years of solicits, cancellations, re-solicits, rinse and repeat. And even once it was released, it took him two weeks to ship and get to me, which is very odd for IST these days. In recent months I've been getting my shipments in a matter of days. Should have known that Phantom Stranger would keep taking his time. Looking forward to digging into it. 

IMG_5166.JPG

IMG_5167.JPG

IMG_5168.JPG

just received mine today and its freaking huge!!

On 9/18/2023 at 10:33 PM, bronze_rules said:

Sorry guys, no letters pages. It very much resembles HOS,HOM and other bronze omnis in quality and structure. A lot to digest though!

A lot to digest indeed!  The Stranger went through several distinctive stylistic changes throughout the stories contained in this book.  Since they elected not to include the letters pages, I thought it might be interesting to share this page from PS #30, panning the unlucky duo tapped to follow the preceding classic Wein/Aparo run: :tonofbricks:

ps30loc.thumb.jpeg.16b8dc3af21fb7cb18cb64bee39c60ce.jpeg

And editor Joe Orlando's follow-up in the letters page of #33. Respect! (worship)

ps33loc.thumb.jpeg.7247ea0a7defdcb9943873c110300bff.jpeg

On 9/22/2023 at 2:29 PM, Zonker said:

A lot to digest indeed!  The Stranger went through several distinctive stylistic changes throughout the stories contained in this book.  Since they elected not to include the letters pages, I thought it might be interesting to share this page from PS #30, panning the unlucky duo tapped to follow the preceding classic Wein/Aparo run: :tonofbricks:

ps30loc.thumb.jpeg.16b8dc3af21fb7cb18cb64bee39c60ce.jpeg

And editor Joe Orlando's follow-up in the letters page of #33. Respect! (worship)

ps33loc.thumb.jpeg.7247ea0a7defdcb9943873c110300bff.jpeg

Really funny you should point that out! I never truly got into the Phantom Stranger's history. But I started reading this tome from his first appearance. My first thought on the first few issues was, this guy is Dr. Thirteen! The guy that disproves ghosts and the supernatural. Several years later, I see him teamed up with Dr. Thirteen, and Dr. Thirteen is calling him the parlor tricks guy!

Not only did he kind of start out as this mortal Dr. Thirteen, but evolved into someone/thing that to me was like a huge plot twist (fated to walk the earth for his misdeed).

Edited by bronze_rules

Those 1950s PS scripts could be recycled as Scooby Doo episodes!  I used to wonder why as a pre-Code book, they didn't take better advantage of the occult storytelling possibilities back then.  But then I learned that Julius Schwartz was the actual editor of the original PS run.  I suspect as a founding member of SF fandom, Julie just couldn't bring himself to go for an out-and-out mystical interpretation.  Had to be science, baby!  :Rocket:

On 9/22/2023 at 5:44 PM, bronze_rules said:

Really funny you should point that out! I never truly got into the Phantom Stranger's history. But I started reading this tome from his first appearance. My first thought on the first few issues was, this guy is Dr. Thirteen! The guy that disproves ghosts and the supernatural. Several years later, I see him teamed up with Dr. Thirteen, and Dr. Thirteen is calling him the parlor tricks guy!

Not only did he kind of start out as this mortal Dr. Thirteen, but evolved into someone/thing that to me was like a huge plot twist (fated to walk the earth for his misdeed).

We need a Doctor Thirteen: The Ghost Breaker collection, and we need it now! I'd think there would be at least enough material from those old back-ups to fill a deluxe hc, surely.

Recent IST arrivals. The Secret Warriors was something I'd considered for a while, so when it hit sale price, I snagged it. I love love love these chunky little Mignolaverse Omnis, so I'll buy all of those that they want to release. And the Under the Read Hood Deluxe HC is surprisingly substantial as well. We're getting ever closer to filling in the Batman Knightfall-present run in OHC. Hopefully, once the last Dark Knight Detective/Caped Crusader trades is published (can't remember which one is up next) they'll give us all of that sweet post-Crisis Bat material in omni form. Those trades are pretty much all OOP and sell strongly, so it seems like a no-brainer to me. If I could get every Batman comic from Year One through Rebirth in OHC, I'll be very happy.

IMG_5321.JPG

IMG_5320.JPG

IST has been quietly putting some stuff on sale at 60% off. I picked these up:

Defenders omni Vol 2 - I'm glad I held off on this one, I've had it on my wishlist for a while, but $40 was the incentive to grab it now!

https://www.instocktrades.com/products/dec220918/defenders-omnibus-hc-vol-02-milgrom-cvr

https://www.instocktrades.com/products/dec220919/defenders-omnibus-hc-vol-02-kane-dm-var

Absolute Dark Knights Death Metal for $40 

https://www.instocktrades.com/products/nov227135/absolute-dark-nights-death-metal-hc

X-Men Avengers Onslaught Omni $50

https://www.instocktrades.com/products/jun210825/x-men-avengers-onslaught-omnibus-hc-new-ptg

Absolute Three Jokers just came out, but is already at 60%/$40

https://www.instocktrades.com/products/oct227167/absolute-batman-three-jokers-hc-(mr)

Happy hunting! This time of year they tend to start clearancing stuff out, I guess in preparation for holidays, so it's worth it to me to check the site every day, search "HC", and then sort the results by discount. The best deals pop up that way.