• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comiclink, Comic Connect, Heritage, etcetera... Wins...
33 33

2,483 posts in this topic

On 11/7/2023 at 10:10 PM, VintageComics said:

This is very common (for a driver to just sign and drop a package).

These aren't exaggerated isolated incidences. It is REALLY, REALLY bad out there. 

It's literally impossible to have customer service that's bare-minimum reliable. Everything is a crapshoot these days. 

And it's going to get worse. More and more parents are being removed from children's lives, less and less kids grow up knowing how to communicate or understanding how to be a good employee and the lack of a reasonable expectation of customer service is causing society to slowly collapse in so many ways. 

And it won't turn around until people start changing, which will likely be never. 

The world is turning into one big ghetto. 

End rant. 

I do not think it has anything to do with that in particular.  There have been plenty of people that grew up in single parent households that grew up with a sense of accountability and responsibility that has been forced upon them due to certain circumstances. 

How, does it have to do with the household and how they are raised?  Sure.  I could see that but I would not blame the aspect of having both or one parent in the home. 

I have often said that the best job I ever had that I learned from was McDonalds.   If you do not make the hash browns then there will be no hash browns.  

Personally, I feel that it more a feeling of entitlement.  They feel they are owed something in their job that their job may not offer or even be able to provide.  Therefore they feel the job and its requirements to fulfill their role are beneath them.. so why bother? 

Again that is just a theory. 

On 11/8/2023 at 7:37 PM, Buzzetta said:

Personally, I feel that it more a feeling of entitlement. 

Where does that feeling of entitlement come from?

Genuine question.

On 11/8/2023 at 7:51 PM, VintageComics said:

Where does that feeling of entitlement come from?

Genuine question.

It's a hard question to answer.  There are various places it originates from but I believe it quickly breeds from keeping up with the Jones' or as the kiddies say, FOMO and amplified through things like social media.

In some cases it is a result from very real mistreatment in the workplace. I have personally witnessed bosses tell employees, "I have a business to run, I need you here today, your father's wake will be for a few days.   You can leave early if it dies down."

Then the boss looks at them incredulously as they just flat out quit. That attitude is then carried forward to the next job of ensuring that no one treats them like that again. 

It is a combination of all things.  

At the time, I remember feeling that retail was beneath me after multiple instances of abusive managers that quite literally conducted themselves in a manner that should have resulted in a lawsuit.   I am better than that.  I should not have to put up with that mistreatment.  I do not need to put myself in that position.   And, to this day, I consider retail to be the toughest job just based on the abuse. 

Back in April I witnessed someone in a drive through scream at the teenager at the window and throw food at them.  So, yeah, there are factors all around that come from that. 

The attitude is fostered from many factors.

Edited by Buzzetta

On 11/8/2023 at 7:54 PM, Buzzetta said:

In some cases it is a result from very real mistreatment in the workplace. I have personally witnessed bosses tell employees, "I have a business to run, I need you here today, your father's wake will be for a few days.   You can leave early if it dies down."

Then the boss looks at them incredulously as they just flat out quit. That attitude is then carried forward to the next job of ensuring that no one treats them like that again.

In this case, it's the boss that's self entitled and his behavior perpetuates the problem, kind of like poor parenting does right? People might get hurt and lash out, or they're taught to act a certain why by poor example and perpetuate that...but I don't think that happens in adulthood. 

Why is the boss so self entitled is the real question?

By the time we're adults, our reactions and decision making ideologies are already formed. 

I believe the root cause is a child's upbringing for these reasons:

I fully believe that nature and nurtures' influences are roughly 50/50 in the general population but putting aside the discussion about genetic behavioral traits (nature), learned behavior pre adulthood are the greatest influence a person will have in their lives.

Don't believe me?

Those middle and high school years create the feelings you have about yourself and others for the rest of your life. You'll never forget your high school crush, your highschool traumas and your high school achievements. 

How about the music you bonded to in your adolescent years? Bonded for life. 

The habits you build in those years either become your habits for life or you struggle to break them for the rest of your life. 

I have one more for you that NOBODY thinks about unless you have a history if immigration in your family: Most people who come from another country before adulthood adapt to their bew country and either forget what life was like in their former country, OR they have almost no attachment to their motherland but if they come AFTER they've reached adulthood they long for their motherland for the rest of their lives. 

To me, it's unequivocal: your formative years are called that for a reason. They form who you are whether you like it or not and self-entitlement, while genetic (I see it more in some of my kids than others - and I have a huge sample to study from lol) us very much learned based on how you're brought up.

If kids are brought up believing everyone needs a trophy then they will grow up to think this way as adults. And yes, SM is perpetuating that. At the behest of those that run social media. It's probably the most destructive force in society right now. 

Anyway, I really enjoy this discussion but I don't want to derail the convo so I think I've made some solid points. You're free to rebut but I'll stop. :smile:

Edited by VintageComics

On 11/6/2023 at 1:16 PM, Microchip said:
On 8/27/2023 at 11:12 AM, Microchip said:

The old label, and the bottom right corner wasn't stained too badly with the usual yellow tinge, I had to have a shot at it.   The last two copies (9.6's) of these books I saw for sale was on Worldwide, both going for $10k each, last year IIRC.   So I'm happy with the outcome.

image.png

Expand  

This book is M.I.A at Comiconnect.  

I've been fully refunded, and given priority at the same price, to buy the book as and when they manage to locate it.

The book is on its way to me.   Shout out to Rob for tracking it down (thumbsu

On 11/15/2023 at 11:11 AM, batmiesta said:

What the hell is this? And who came up with it? And what's the point? 

AVENGERS, THE (1963-96; 2004) #71

Marvel CGC NM+: 9.6

white pages
1st app of the Invaders; Eiffel Tower battle cvr (12/69); COMIC BOOK IMPACT rating of 8 (CBI)

https://www.comicconnect.com/article/grading_criteria?tzf=1

On 11/15/2023 at 6:04 PM, Telegan said:

CBI

"The CBI Scale or the Comic Book Impact scale is a rating system that evaluates a comic book based on the following criteria: historical impact, cultural impact, artistic importance, popularity, and longevity of title and/or character."

Nothin' subjective 'bout that :canofworms:

-bc

On 11/15/2023 at 5:55 PM, bc said:

CBI

"The CBI Scale or the Comic Book Impact scale is a rating system that evaluates a comic book based on the following criteria: historical impact, cultural impact, artistic importance, popularity, and longevity of title and/or character."

-bc

How was it determined? The scale I mean, was it open to the public to vote?

It's also on the Metropolis website:

https://www.metropoliscomics.com/article/grading-guide-1?tzf=1

CBI

The CBI Scale or the Comic Book Impact scale is a rating system that evaluates a comic book based on the following criteria: historical impact, cultural impact, artistic importance, popularity, and longevity of title and/or character.

-bc

On 11/15/2023 at 7:03 PM, bc said:

CBI

The CBI Scale or the Comic Book Impact scale is a rating system that evaluates a comic book based on the following criteria: historical impact, cultural impact, artistic importance, popularity, and longevity of title and/or character.

-bc

hmmmm I want to say that I too ran into the scale posted somewhere....

But this is relatively new for websites promoting auctions I assume.... ??? 

On 11/7/2023 at 5:49 PM, Buzzetta said:

Heritage confirmed that they do not like things being delivered at Walgreens because if something goes missing then Heritage or Walgreens or Fed Ex is accountable. However, if Fed Ex signs for your package and dumps it on the wrong doorstep, then it still counts as signed for, it still counts as delivered and received and the argument of loss is moot (because it was signed for) so therefore the buyer is accountable. 

I will roll the dice with Walgreens when it comes to my comiclink packages.  If something goes south I know I am protected especially as we approach the holiday season.   

I live in a small town in ID and I have to give them my ID and sign for it to get the package . I of course always make sure I am home to do this but how does the driver do this when they need ID for the item it seems pretty crazy a driver could just sign and leave it at another place with no ID  .

On 11/15/2023 at 5:55 PM, bc said:

CBI

-bc

I think most grading is subjective. lol.

On 11/15/2023 at 7:03 PM, bc said:

CBI

-bc

Probably because they're basically the same "company".

On 11/15/2023 at 7:49 PM, davidking623 said:

I live in a small town in ID and I have to give them my ID and sign for it to get the package . I of course always make sure I am home to do this but how does the driver do this when they need ID for the item it seems pretty crazy a driver could just sign and leave it at another place with no ID  .

It happens to me with one specific FedEx driver but not another one or two that sometimes drops packages off for me.  One just signs for me and leaves the package.  Another 2 wait and ask for ID.  Even if I catch the guy that usually just leaves the packages and signs for me in time, I don't have to show him my ID.

On 11/15/2023 at 8:56 PM, Telegan said:

I think most grading is subjective. lol.

Probably because they're basically the same "company".

It happens to me with one specific FedEx driver but not another one or two that sometimes drops packages off for me.  One just signs for me and leaves the package.  Another 2 wait and ask for ID.  Even if I catch the guy that usually just leaves the packages and signs for me in time, I don't have to show him my ID.

So when the driver gets your ID he scans my ID does he scan yours ? From Comiclink it requires a individual 21 or older to sign because they pay for it . Weird !

On 11/15/2023 at 11:17 PM, davidking623 said:

So when the driver gets your ID he scans my ID does he scan yours ? From Comiclink it requires a individual 21 or older to sign because they pay for it . Weird !

I think one or two drivers have asked me for my id.  I recall one of them maybe scanning it.  Then there's the driver that just signs for it himself and leaves it on the porch who doesn't require an ID or a human even be present.  I sometimes can catch him, if I get to the door within 20 seconds.  One time he just asked me for my name as he got back on his truck.  Another time, it was signed for by somebody who doesn't even live here.  Maybe it was his name - I don't know. lol.  As a matter of fact, he'll probably leave it on the porch if he sees a squirrel in the tree.  "Signed for by - Mr. Squirrel". :D  If you go on Reddit or Google, you'll see this happens a lot with "signature required" packages  Technically, he's an adult over 21, so ... maybe it's allowed? lol.

On anothe note, I had a USPS package delivered today.  Initially, it was to be delivered Friday, then after a day it was to be delivered Wednesday, then it was back to Friday.  It was delivered today (Thursday), but status shows it's still out for delivery even though it was delivered 3 or 4 hours ago. So now I know I can't rely on those updates.

It's crazy out there. :D

Edited by Telegan

On 11/16/2023 at 8:36 PM, Bayowolf said:

Where can you find the CBI rating for a comic? Sometimes I see the CBI for a comic offered at auction,but mostly not.

Is there anywhere I can put in a specific comic and get its CBI?

It's partly why I asked too lol

I'd be interested in what's available and or if I could participate like a vote. I'm sure if it were public nothing would be perfect, but who would just go to vote up drek? I know they would, but it's unfortunate.  Tangent. 

Would be nice to see recommendations of what people read and like, rather than just googling "good read comics"  :roflmao: