• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comiclink, Comic Connect, Heritage, etcetera... Wins...
33 33

2,483 posts in this topic

On 12/2/2023 at 11:35 PM, Telegan said:

Ok, maybe I'm missing something (I don't follow Conan too closely), but GPA lists the last CGC sale back in June of a 9.6 at $360.  From looking at the prices over the past few years, it looks like it's correcting back to "normal" prices before the COVID bump.  It looks like a couple of sales during that period caused the chart to go bonkers :

image.thumb.png.12fada65a80606306a688c882a26d771.png

Well, it could be one of several factors, or more than one combined. 

A cursory look tells me that there are only 2 copies in 9.8 for that book. That is really unusual for a Bronze book, so it's really tough in 9.8 (as the two boardies who you quoted must already know).

Meanwhile, there are over 20 copies of #10 in 9.8 and 4 copies of #12 in 9.8, making it (much) tougher than surrounding issues. 

It has always sold for more in 9.6 than #10 and #12.

The 2021 prices are probably anomalies. It could have just taken one person to think it may have had a shot at 9.8, or a bidder needed to burn some crypto money to get one for their collection, to make a few other collectors itch for a copy and make them willing to pay more. 

I always say to slow down, pull back the microscope and try to get a broader view of the market when buying. You can't make a judgement based on one data point and many seem to continue to do just that. 

On 12/4/2023 at 5:24 PM, greggy said:

image.thumb.png.b8b83d395dc42269d4a81c70d5b7f77f.png

I figured that was you as well.

I wonder who could possibly be the opposition in these auctions? 

On 12/2/2023 at 9:49 PM, ChiSoxFan said:

Since I referenced it in the "Are prices still climbing ..." thread, I figure I might as well post it. :tonofbricks:

Yes, I overpaid,  Yes, I know it.  Why I did it ... I can only attest to the moment of irrationality that occasionally overtakes even the most rational-thinking people.

I had been eyeing the book all auction. It's an old label beauty of a classic ASM issue, and for a while, it looked like I might be able to snag it at a reasonable price.  Then, between 30 minutes to an hour before the end, the bidding shot up, and what I had planned to bid was exceeded.  My rational side said, "Wait until the next one comes along."  The irrational side of me that was aggravated said, "#%$& this ... I'm getting this, and whoever else is bidding, you're not getting it". 

All in all, happiness is not all about snagging a deal.  Sometimes, it's about the rush of the item itself.  I have always loved this issue, and I'll be happy to own this copy when it arrives.

asm40.jpg

You outbid me.   I thought you got it at a nice price as it appears better than the assigned grade.  Nice pickup and congratulations. 

Just picked up my ASM 92 from Walgreens.

Fed Ex did it again.  They did not bother to handle the item according to their protocol so it appeared on the truck.  I had already had the book diverted to Walgreens so a few minutes ago, I figured I would just take a ride over there to see if they had anything for me.  It was locked up in their Fed Ex room.  The driver never scanned that they dropped it off. 

Fed Ex around me sucks.  At least it was safer than being on a porch all day especially this time of year with porch pirates. 

On 12/5/2023 at 8:34 PM, ChiSoxFan said:

Thanks. :foryou:  I've always wondered in any auction I've bid on if I was going up against someone I knew from here. hm  Hope you can snag a copy that you like soon. :wishluck:

On a different note, this is likely my last purchase of the year, from anywhere. :wavingwhiteflag: Maybe. :tonofbricks: Don't know about the price, but I never really see the book up for sale, and I've always wanted to own one, so this was another "Whatever" moment.

SSWS.jpg

Congrats I think this is a super cool book as well!

On 12/5/2023 at 8:47 PM, Buzzetta said:

Just picked up my ASM 92 from Walgreens.

Fed Ex did it again.  They did not bother to handle the item according to their protocol so it appeared on the truck.  I had already had the book diverted to Walgreens so a few minutes ago, I figured I would just take a ride over there to see if they had anything for me.  It was locked up in their Fed Ex room.  The driver never scanned that they dropped it off. 

Fed Ex around me sucks.  At least it was safer than being on a porch all day especially this time of year with porch pirates. 

This happened to me just last week. Had two large packages coming that I didn't trust my driver to actually deliver, had them dropped at my regular Walgreens. Waited and waited for notification that they'd been dropped off, but after three days they still sthowed that they were "out for delivery." Called FedEx, and they said to check the store, and sure enough, the packages were there waiting for me. The Walgreens employees had their own gripes about FedEx. Everyone seems to agree, they blow goats.

I picked up a Tec 880 CGC 9.8 at the CL auction that just ended. I sold my copies during the comic boom and told myself that I can replace them when the prices leveled out again (i.e., I can re-buy at 2/3 or less of the price I sold them for). This was one of the few cases where that process worked as planned. 

On 2/10/2024 at 7:24 PM, bluehorseshoe said:

1 of 7 (1 is a SS book).  I had not seen one for sale ever since I started buying on Comiclink in 2010.  Just need to second print to round it out, but that will be a breeze compared to this one. I would have paid 3 times what I ended up winning it for.

CFD 1 third print 575 on January 31, 2024.jpg

Wow congrats! when did that pop up? was it an auction? and more importantly how did I miss it? The 9.8's never show up but that one was graded recently! it was over 500 right?

On 2/12/2024 at 9:54 AM, Pontoon said:

I remembered to bid and won a few books as I close in on finishing my TTA run. :banana:

Unfortunately, I also won a small lot of raw books so on top of the $25 to ship the slabs I'm getting zapped another $20 for 10 raws. I realize there's overhead and supply costs and don't expect to pay exact postage, but $45 for Ground shipping is outrageous.

Try living in Canada. I pay $125 USD shipping from CL for a dozen slabs, although that is not ground. The cost of a CGC submission which is ground both ways is over 80 CAD to get the books there, plus 150-ish return, give or take. 45 bucks in shipping charges sounds really good to me.