• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mask Comics actual pricing
10 10

812 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, burntboy said:

Just saw this thread and took a quick gander at rue ongoing auction.

The #1 in 8.5 with OWW pgs is up to $46800 (with BP).

The #2 in 7.5 with OWW pgs is up to $10500 (with BP).

Both have 13 days to go.  Safe to say that as expected the #1 will shatter all records.

I’ve always wondered, are there actually 2 Church copies??

Lots more to come on both :smile:

9 hours ago, burntboy said:

Nice to see you here after such a very long absence from the board and you should definitely post more often if you are lurking here instead.  (thumbsu

Although too early to tell, but rather surprised to see such a big discrepancy between the 2 issues at this current point since I believe Mask 2 has been getting closer in price range to Mask 1 in equivalent grades during the past year or so.  (shrug)

5 hours ago, october said:
9 hours ago, burntboy said:

I own the Church #1. The Church #2 has never surfaced that I am aware of, but I have seen a copy that the owner suspects might be it.

Not sure what you mean by 2 copies, although it looks like Chuck's Mile High Catalogue lists only 1 copy each for Mask 1 and Mask 2 with both of them in NM+ condition at a price point of $30 for Mask 1 and either $25 or $23 for Mask 2.   :takeit:

BTW:  Congrats on having the smarts and patience to pick up your Church copy in a higher grade and at a much lower price point as well.  :applause:

On 6/4/2021 at 4:34 PM, burntboy said:

Just saw this thread and took a quick gander at rue ongoing auction.

Both have 13 days to go.  Safe to say that as expected the #1 will shatter all records.

A late night update;  the Mask #1 in 8.5 up to $79,000 with BP.   The #2 in 7.5 lagging far, far behind at $12,600 with BP.  Less than a week left...

3 hours ago, burntboy said:

A late night update;  the Mask #1 in 8.5 up to $79,000 with BP.   The #2 in 7.5 lagging far, far behind at $12,600 with BP.  Less than a week left...

Yes, totally shocked at how far behind the Mask 2 is in comparison to Mask 1, especially since some of the recent auctions indicate Mask 2 seemingly approaching (if not catching up) to Mask 1 in terms of pricing.  hm

Of course, the conditions for the Promise copies of both of these Mask books are different, but then again, that's still a huge huge pricing difference between the two of them for now.  :whatthe:

Edited by lou_fine

On 5/6/2019 at 7:28 PM, adamstrange said:

Mask is one of the best examples of LB Cole of designing a cover that would exploit its position on the newsstand to enhance the impact.  At the time that the Mask came out the other covers were printed with a light color palette.  Placed in the middle of these, the black becomes negative space out of from which peers the face of evil.  LB Cole wanted to punch a hole through the newsstand with covers like this.

To demonstrate the effect I created a grouping of Mask with some books from the mid-40s, though not the exact same month as the Mask.

Mask Newsstand.jpg

Would it be accurate to say that Mask 1 is the first horror cover in comics? It's more surrealistic than horror, but the candle does say "evil" on it...

5 hours ago, Sarg said:

Would it be accurate to say that Mask 1 is the first horror cover in comics?

That might be a stretch.  The Claw, who prominently loomed over-sized in the background of the front cover of SSC#1 (1939), was supposed to be Satan (a continuation of the Victorian Era's Yellow Peril) and star in its "thrilling feature" (as in thriller) per the front cover. (shrug)

Edited by Pantodude
Wut's a post w/o an emoji?

On 6/14/2021 at 3:21 AM, lou_fine said:

Yes, totally shocked at how far behind the Mask 2 is in comparison to Mask 1, especially since some of the recent auctions indicate Mask 2 seemingly approaching (if not catching up) to Mask 1 in terms of pricing.  hm

Of course, the conditions for the Promise copies of both of these Mask books are different, but then again, that's still a huge huge pricing difference between the two of them for now.  :whatthe:

The auction ends tomorrow.   Prices up to $84000 and $15000, respectively🙀.

As you correctly pointed out, the gap between the two books was slowly closing.   Guess the cachet of being the very best (#1 universal) accounts for much of the difference.

6 hours ago, burntboy said:

The auction ends tomorrow.   Prices up to $84000 and $15000, respectively🙀.

As you correctly pointed out, the gap between the two books was slowly closing.   Guess the cachet of being the very best (#1 universal) accounts for much of the difference.

It ain't over yet.  

On 3/24/2022 at 2:18 PM, pmpknface said:

This thread has dipped a bit, thought I'd give it a bump.  On Heritage (none of them mine, BTW):

Yeah, looks like this once former supposedly HTF book is actually not so HTF as it has not been only showing up on most auction platforms during the past few years, but now with even multiple copies available in either the same or back to back auctions.  

On 3/24/2022 at 5:44 PM, lou_fine said:

Yeah, looks like this once former supposedly HTF book is actually not so HTF as it has not been only showing up on most auction platforms during the past few years, but now with even multiple copies available in either the same or back to back auctions.  

Still getting $$$ tho.  I've been PM'd about a copy that I have.  Buyers are out there....

On 3/24/2022 at 10:33 PM, pmpknface said:

Still getting $$$ tho.  I've been PM'd about a copy that I have.  Buyers are out there....

Yeah, will be interesting to see where these all end up...quite the "hoard"! GPA doesn't show any sales in 2022 for either 1 or 2, I know the ComicLink books don't show up on GPA but don't think they've had a copy since last Spring.

On 3/24/2022 at 5:44 PM, lou_fine said:

It is usually HTF. As it can go, a good chunk of time can go by without a copy for sale anywhere. And then suddenly... several up at the same time.

I'd wager that at least one of the copies up on HA goes for a relatively "cheaper" price. In a year or two when there aren't 3-4 copies up for sale it will look like a bargain. Timing is everything.

I'd love to upgrade my 1.0 Universal to a 2.0, at least, but sort of tough to find someone willing to downgrade their copy. :frown:

Edited by Phill the Governor

On 3/25/2022 at 3:39 AM, drbanner said:

GPA doesn't show any sales in 2022 for either 1 or 2, I know the ComicLink books don't show up on GPA but don't think they've had a copy since last Spring.

Well, since we just started with the auctions for 2022, I am not that surprised. (thumbsu

Any idea how many copies of Mask 1 & 2 were sold in 2021 because I got the impression there were several of them, including a few on CL.  hm

On 4/1/2022 at 12:13 PM, comicjack said:

Glad to just have copies as the prices are all over the place :smile:

To an extent I agree (especially since I'm happy and fortunate to have my low grade copy already). But I don't think prices are all over the place. Definitely a 3.5-4k price floor for entry level copies.. with 3.0-4.0s going for 8-12k. 4.5 grades and above account for only 20 total copies.. so prices certainly seem to start climbing from there on up.

It can be easy to overlook that while there are (only) 60 total unrestored copies of #1 on the census, not all grades are created equal based on pg quality and more importantly defects. $11.4k for the 4.0 seemed pretty spot on to me.