• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mask Comics actual pricing
10 10

812 posts in this topic

On 7/17/2022 at 1:28 AM, lou_fine said:

In talking about Blue Bolt 105 and CGC 9.8 copies, I wonder how much this copy here would go for in today's heightened marketplace, especially considering that it sold for $37,500 on CL back in the summer of 2018 before the collectibles world went absolutely crazy town during the pandemic driven locked down craze of the past two years:  hm

RADF0375201881_113351.jpg

Slightly off topic, but I really don't like how they grade golden age to different standards than other eras. I can clearly see blunted corners, edge wear, and a color breaking crease near the bottom staple. This book is clearly in incredible condition for it's age, but 9.8 should mean that it looks like it just rolled out of the printing press. If this were a modern book it would probably be an 8

On 7/17/2022 at 8:20 AM, Nic8612 said:

Slightly off topic, but I really don't like how they grade golden age to different standards than other eras. I can clearly see blunted corners, edge wear, and a color breaking crease near the bottom staple. This book is clearly in incredible condition for it's age, but 9.8 should mean that it looks like it just rolled out of the printing press. If this were a modern book it would probably be an 8

Respectfully disagree. Comparing a 70 year old book to a 20 minute old book is apples and oranges 

But back to topic. This Mask 1 signals a bit of weakness. It sold for the exact same price recently that it sold for 3 years ago. I wouldn’t be too happy if I were the 2019 owner. After the sellers commission, he got a haircut. But that’s not such a bad rental fee for the privilege of owning this cool book for 3 years, I guess.

6DE1F848-9EC3-4A88-940E-A6E4849F7D62.jpeg

C6ED70A8-0DE9-474B-A057-80E26B3321E3.png

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 7/17/2022 at 10:39 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Respectfully disagree. Comparing a 70 year old book to a 20 minute old book is apples and oranges 

How so? "Mint condition" means basically perfect, brand new, right off the press. That definition shouldn't change just because the book is older. That mentality doesn't extend to any other collectible that I know of. You don't say an antique car is in mint condition if it has a little rust on the undercarriage, simply because it's an old car. Thats counted as damaged and factored into the value. And its not like the book was made in the stone ages with hand tools. They still had machine presses and it would have looked better than this 70 years ago when it was brand new. If the book has ANY wear at all, then it is not a 9.8 mint condition book. 

On 7/17/2022 at 9:18 AM, Nic8612 said:

If the book has ANY wear at all, then it is not a 9.8 mint condition book. 

Ummmm......................I believe if a book doesn't have ANY wear or defect at all, it is considered to be a 10.0 Gem Mint book, not a 9.8 NM/M book which is really nearly perfect, but NOT QUITE as they do have very minor imperfections.  :gossip:

BTW:  Those two corners on the right hand side of the BB 105 looks pretty sharp to me and the ones on the spine appears to be a minor bindery issue which IS allowed in a 9.8 grade.  And I have clearly seen some Modern books with the same small subtle color breaking creases encased in a CGC 9.8 slab. Then again, no idea if that's a 9.8 worthy book or not since you really do need to have the actual book in hand as opposed to just looking at a scan of a book when it comes to grading.  (shrug)

Are you also thinking more in terms of the squashed pancaked look that most Modern Age CGC 9.8 books tend to have after getting the living dickens pressed out of them?  lol  :p

Seriously though, not sure about the Blue Bolt 105, but when it comes to the earlier GA books with their much larger 68-page size, I believe there are indeed printing issues such as bindery chips that tends to be more of an issue as opposed to the thinner MA books.  As such, I also believe that CGC is gnerally supposed to take production related issues into account when grading a book.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 7/16/2022 at 11:42 AM, MrBedrock said:
On 7/16/2022 at 11:01 AM, lou_fine said:

With your experience and insight, out of these two Blue Bolt books, would it be BB 105 or BB 115 that is worth more in today's hyper classic cover driven marketplace from your POV?  Although I would have to say you definitely can't go wrong with either one of these two beauties here?  :luhv:

I don't have a 105 but I would value it higher. I certainly like 105 better.

Well, it looks like even old slow conservative Bob would agree with you as he took your sage advice and rocketed the BB 105 up by 186% from a mere $3,500 all the way up to $10K in top of guide, while bumping up BB 115 by a not so modest 100% as it went from $3K up to $6K in this year's edition of the guide.  (thumbsu

On 7/21/2022 at 7:42 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, it looks like even old slow conservative Bob would agree with you as he took your sage advice and rocketed the BB 105 up by 186% from a mere $3,500 all the way up to $10K in top of guide, while bumping up BB 115 by a not so modest 100% as it went from $3K up to $6K in this year's edition of the guide.  (thumbsu

BB #105 is out of control.  I doubt I'll ever get one at this point.  However I'm sending in my BB #115 to get graded next week.  I'll try to get a pic or 12 - I'm sending in 40 books, mostly Cole stuff. 

On 7/22/2022 at 6:56 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

It appears the 2 covers elevated to LB Cole avatar status are BB105 and Mask 1. This ignores a lot of other great candidates, but Bob has spoken 

I've never given any thought to comparing BB 105 with Mask 1, as I've always tended to compare the Mask 1 with the Suspense 8 myself.  hm

I guess only time will tell though, as from the Guide's POV right now, there is now a whopping 5-fold difference between BB 105 at only $10K in top of guide, as compared to Mask 1 at $50K in top of guide.  Then again, I guess it was only a very short few years ago (i.e. 2019 as a matter of fact) that Mask 1 was guiding at only a "piddly" $8K and even well behind Suspense 8 before it and Mask 2 started to take off like a rocket ship.  No need accelerated by the fact that what was once thought of as a scarce or rare book all of a sudden started to pop out of the woodwork and appeared in almost every other auction throughout the ensuring two years to help propel the prices upwards. :Rocket:

I imagine we will have to wait and see if these seemingly strong prices for BB 105 even in mid-grade are tempting enough to bring more copies out into the marketplace and like the Mask Comics, help to ramp the prices even further upwards.  Although the Mask 1 is clearly at or approaching a high peak, the BB 105 might just be getting itself off the launch pad right now.  As for the now almost seemingly forgotten Suspense 8, this book would probably be viewed as idling by in the on-deck circle awaiting its turn for now.  hm  (shrug)  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

On 9/10/2022 at 6:35 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Seems like a pretty strong price to me

And all aboard as the L.B. Cole Mask express train just keeps on rolling along at full steam ahead.  (thumbsu

Sadly, without poor old me on board though as I did not jump on board when it was stuck in the station for the longest while back in the day.  doh!

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/11/2022 at 12:50 AM, lou_fine said:

And all aboard as the L.B. Cole Mask express train just keeps on rolling along at full steam ahead.  (thumbsu

Sadly, without poor old me on board though as I did not jump on board when it was stuck in the station for the longest while back in the day.  doh!

That’s how I feel about many books. I’m right there with you brother