• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Where did it go, then? Wanda tortured a town and then flew away. That's not much happening for a 9-episode series IMO.

If that's all you got out of it, I can't help you.

That's like saying Titanic was garbage because all that happened was the ship sunk and some people died.

Anyone who'd read House of M knew that to do this show right, all they had to do was show two things:

1) Wanda's one of the most powerful people in the MCU (esp. vs. say...Dr. Strange); and

2) She's totally bat-sh*t f--kn' nuts.

It did exactly that, and did it beautifully.

2 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

If that's all you got out of it, I can't help you.

That's like saying Titanic was garbage because all that happened was the ship sunk and some people died.

Anyone who'd read House of M knew that to do this show right, all they had to do was show two things:

1) Wanda's one of the most powerful people in the MCU (esp. vs. say...Dr. Strange); and

2) She's totally bat-sh*t f--kn' nuts.

It did exactly that, and did it beautifully.

Stretch. GIF | Gfycat

5 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

You first.

The modern comic book industry is collapsing.  DC comics is down to about 20 monthly books, and with all the moves by ATT recently it is unsure if it will survive in its current form.  A best selling comic book is now around 100k copies, with vast majority being far below that.  Jim Lee's X-Men 1 sold over 1 million copies, before the MCU. The last Demon Slayer book outsold the entire US comic book industry last month.  If comics were so cool, the success of the movies and TV shows should have had some positive impact on book sales.

Edited by drotto

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

The absence of evidence is the evidence of absence.

No.  The statement "they made comics cool to the general public" is more of a tongue-n-cheek statement.  Nothing that can be proven or unproven.  Just something fun to say.  You seem to take everything literally.

***We're on a comic book forum...not discussing the cure for cancer

1 minute ago, drotto said:

The modern comic book industry is collapsing.  DC comics is down to about 20 monthly books, and with all the moves by ATT recently it is unsure if it will survive in its current form.  A best selling comic book is now around 100k copies, with vast majority being far below that.  The last Demon Slayer book outsold the entire US comic book industry last month.  If comics were so cool, the success of the movies and TV shows should have had some positive impact on book sales.

I do not think any successful movie or tv show has ever resulted in a bump in actual comic sales. Comics may survive if only to feed the movie market.

14 minutes ago, drotto said:

The modern comic book industry is collapsing.  DC comics is down to about 20 monthly books, and with all the moves by ATT recently it is unsure if it will survive in its current form.  A best selling comic book is now around 100k copies, with vast majority being far below that.  Jim Lee's X-Men 1 sold over 1 million copies, before the MCU. The last Demon Slayer book outsold the entire US comic book industry last month.  If comics were so cool, the success of the movies and TV shows should have had some positive impact on book sales.

Comics sales have no bearing on the success of comic book movies.

None of the Spider-Man movies appreciably sales of the monthly Spider-Man sales - and those too, are far down from their 1990-1992 levels.

The Christopher Nolan films didn't appreciably impact monthly Batman titles.

Literally the only exceptions to this I can think of are:

1) the 1989 Batman movie - which not only increased Batman sales across-the-board but led to a dramatic increase in comic book collectors, period; and

2) The Walking Dead TV show - which dramatically increased the sales of - and interest in - the monthly book.

7 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Comics sales have no bearing on the success of comic book movies.

None of the Spider-Man movies appreciably sales of the monthly Spider-Man sales - and those too, are far down from their 1990-1992 levels.

The Christopher Nolan films didn't appreciably impact monthly Batman titles.

Literally the only exceptions to this I can think of are:

1) the 1989 Batman movie - which not only increased Batman sales across-the-board but led to a dramatic increase in comic book collectors, period; and

2) The Walking Dead TV show - which dramatically increased the sales of - and interest in - the monthly book.

Agreed.  But a successful show or movie making comics cool should help comic book sales.  The comic industry failing capitalize on those trends is a massive failure for the industry. Comic books have not been made cool despite the overall success of some of the properties.  If they had print media for these properties would also be soaring.

Look and Anime becoming popular, the Manga sales have taken off in the US as a result.

Edited by drotto

1 hour ago, Muno42 said:

I do not think any successful movie or tv show has ever resulted in a bump in actual comic sales. Comics may survive if only to feed the movie market.

I'm not of the opinion the sky is falling around Marvel Studios. Though this Phase IV is going to be interesting in the end how it all turns out.

But as far as a movie or TV show extensively impacting the comic book industry, Batman (1989) was noted by DC Comics and even Stan Lee at the time for driving a tremendous response from new collectors. Stan Lee is even included in the Batman anniversary bluray/DVD where he noted it was so big, the industry couldn't keep up with demand. People just showed up at local stores asking what they should buy as long as it had Batman in it.

I don’t know how anyone could predict box office totals at the moment. There could be apprehension to return to the theatre or there could unbridled demand.

I plan to see Black Widow in theatre if they open in time. 

11 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Yes really.

The MCU made comic book CHARACTERS cool to the general public, not the comic book medium itself. People didn't start picking up floppies because of this en masse, rather that money went towards other pop culture items. Comic books might have a better overall positive position in the eyes of the general public, but they certainly are not now viewed as 'cool' to read.

25 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

The MCU made comic book CHARACTERS cool to the general public, not the comic book medium itself. People didn't start picking up floppies because of this en masse, rather that money went towards other pop culture items. Comic books might have a better overall positive position in the eyes of the general public, but they certainly are not now viewed as 'cool' to read.

Thank you for reading my post.  But you should keep reading the posts that followed afterwards.

***Or not

11 hours ago, drotto said:

It is not hard evidence, just like you can not give me hard viewing numbers for how many people really watch any streaming show. But we can use internet trends and YouTube views as a rough measure of interest compared to past shows and movies.  Those numbers seem to show interest has dropped off.  

Again the MCU is not dead, by any stretch, but it will be extremely difficult to reach Endgame levels.

I'm not so sure. hm

10 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I'm not of the opinion the sky is falling around Marvel Studios. Though this Phase IV is going to be interesting in the end how it all turns out.

But as far as a movie or TV show extensively impacting the comic book industry, Batman (1989) was noted by DC Comics and even Stan Lee at the time for driving a tremendous response from new collectors. Stan Lee is even included in the Batman anniversary bluray/DVD where he noted it was so big, the industry couldn't keep up with demand. People just showed up at local stores asking what they should buy as long as it had Batman in it.

I remember the lines extending out of the theater doors when that landed in my area. lol