• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

I was looking forward to watching Eternals, but, inevitably with the delay, you encounter key plot points online which spoil the experience.  Very disappointed that the film changes the Eternals into space robots and as a result trashes Kirby’s original and much more interesting concept, when there’s really nothing much wrong with it.  Wasn’t broken, nothing to fix, hardly me being a purist.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 1/31/2022 at 6:25 AM, Ken Aldred said:

I was looking forward to watching Eternals, but, inevitably with the delay, you encounter key plot points online which spoil the experience.  Very disappointed that the film changes the Eternals into space robots and as a result trashes Kirby’s original and much more interesting concept, when there’s really nothing much wrong with it.  Wasn’t broken, nothing to fix, hardly me being a purist.

hear_hear.gif.8aa7b39f279babfe8dc6d2030fcfc253.gif

And where was the Stark Industries influence? There had to be something about a robotic widget that went back in time and struck a Deviant in the head, leading to a desire to destroy everything.

:tonofbricks:

On 1/31/2022 at 11:40 AM, Bosco685 said:

hear_hear.gif.8aa7b39f279babfe8dc6d2030fcfc253.gif

And where was the Stark Industries influence? There had to be something about a robotic widget that went back in time and struck a Deviant in the head, leading to a desire to destroy everything.

:tonofbricks:

I haven’t watched the film yet, but it’s already spoiled for me, so more detail doesn’t matter too much at this stage.

I had intended to watch it on Blu-Ray.

Edited by Ken Aldred

It's a good movie.  I like that the plot twist was never spoiled for me (depending on your definition of plot twist).  Gorgeous looking scenes.  Not the perfect movie but definitely one I'd watch again if it shows up for free on TV.

Other movies I always watch when they show up for free on TV...Shawshank, Bridesmaids, Infinity/Endgame, John Wick, and No Country.

***70/100

Edited by AnthonyTheAbyss
spacing mistake

On 1/31/2022 at 8:19 AM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

It's a good movie.  I like that the plot twist was never spoiled for me (depending on your definition of plot twist).  Gorgeous looking scenes.  Not the perfect movie but definitely one I'd watch again if it shows up for free on TV.

Other movies I always watch when they show up for free on TV...Shawshank, Bridesmaids, Infinity/Endgame, John Wick, and No Country.

***70/100

When I hear 'gorgeous scenery' in a movie review for me anyway thats code for dumb movie.  People do not watch movies to view gorgeous scenery.  

On 1/31/2022 at 11:25 AM, Bosco685 said:

Added a few thousand over the past few days internationally. But still at 2.0X production budget, which is far below the 2.5X to 2.8X required on a $200M film to break even.

Marvel_BO220131.thumb.PNG.967ebd223cf85323ed5d6405a8ed4d18.PNG

maybe making money on the film was a metaphor for something the director didnt care for-

On 1/31/2022 at 1:24 PM, kav said:

When I hear 'gorgeous scenery' in a movie review for me anyway thats code for dumb movie.  People do not watch movies to view gorgeous scenery.  

I do.

The Revenant...gorgeous scenery.

March Of The Penguins...gorgeous scenery.

***No code in my comment...I made it pretty clear so no need to read into something that isn't there

On 1/31/2022 at 1:54 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

I do.

The Revenant...gorgeous scenery.

March Of The Penguins...gorgeous scenery.

***No code in my comment...I made it pretty clear so no need to read into something that isn't there

I'm just making the point that scenery is irrelevant-story is why people watch movies.  otherwise they can just watch travelogues.  As far as I know no travelogue has ever won an Oscar Meyer Weiner.
If reviewer says 'the scenery is gorgeous'-then there's usually not much story-theyre trying to find something good to say about a movie.

I don’t think that anyone has gone to see a film of viewed a series for the sake of the scenery alone outside of something like Planet Earth or those Nat Geo series but they don’t count. 

However the scenery of a movie has played an important character in of itself as a vehicle to a film.  For example in the movie Last of the Mohicans with Daniel Day Lewis, the scenery couple with Edelman’s soundtrack is a character upon itself amplifying the director’s vision.  

The scenery is not the draw but a key component of what makes the movie work. 

@Bosco685we are talking of Ozak in another thread… does Ozark work in a setting like NYC?  I dunno.  You could have the same -script and base it out of Suffolk county… when you place it in the Ozarks there is this feeling of beauty combined with the deadliness of the isolation.  In many scenes they show that lake and there is this sense of foreboding as you wonder how many bodies are at the bottom of it every time Marty Byrd looks out at it.

Never discount the impact of a good location and scenery. 

On 1/31/2022 at 4:03 PM, kav said:

I'm just making the point that scenery is irrelevant-story is why people watch movies.  otherwise they can just watch travelogues.  As far as I know no travelogue has ever won an Oscar Meyer Weiner.
If reviewer says 'the scenery is gorgeous'-then there's usually not much story-theyre trying to find something good to say about a movie.

March Of The Penguins!!!  March Of The Penguins man!!!

Free Solo!!!

***I like watching BBC Earth channel lol

On 1/31/2022 at 2:29 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

March Of The Penguins!!!  March Of The Penguins man!!!

Free Solo!!!

***I like watching BBC Earth channel lol

ya got me.

On 1/31/2022 at 5:11 PM, Buzzetta said:

I don’t think that anyone has gone to see a film of viewed a series for the sake of the scenery alone outside of something like Planet Earth or those Nat Geo series but they don’t count. 

However the scenery of a movie has played an important character in of itself as a vehicle to a film.  For example in the movie Last of the Mohicans with Daniel Day Lewis, the scenery couple with Edelman’s soundtrack is a character upon itself amplifying the director’s vision.  

The scenery is not the draw but a key component of what makes the movie work. 

@Bosco685we are talking of Ozak in another thread… does Ozark work in a setting like NYC?  I dunno.  You could have the same --script and base it out of Suffolk county… when you place it in the Ozarks there is this feeling of beauty combined with the deadliness of the isolation.  In many scenes they show that lake and there is this sense of foreboding as you wonder how many bodies are at the bottom of it every time Marty Byrd looks out at it.

Never discount the impact of a good location and scenery. 

I've been rewatching SYFY Channel's The Magicians series again, as I thoroughly enjoyed it from beginning to the end.

But now I watched the special features videos as well. Which the co-creator of the show explained the scenery of the shots played a part of conveying when you were dealing with less magical areas. When the characters were in New York City walking around it was dark and overcast to convey normal living and all the challenges faced. But when they were in magical locations everything was bright and shot from above the characters to convey a big, beautiful environment.

The same with Ozark. Having the show take place in what is assumed to be the peaceful countryside that turns out to be just as seedy as any city setting is the beauty of the show. If it was the other way around where it was already in a major city I think the show would lose that fun atmosphere. Especially with the locals that bring their own country atmosphere to the scenes like Darlene (R.I.P).