• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 1/27/2022 at 9:47 PM, William-James88 said:

@Buzzetta While Starfox showed up in Eternals and had similar garb, he was never said to be an eternal. He is just a totally different entity, unrelated to them who just happened to show up. So he is not an android and neither is thanos. Now, how he and Thanos look completely different and are brothers, well can't help you there.

He does.

I opened Disney+ to get the exact words and times for anyone that wants to check it out. 

2:26.59 - Pip - "Behold the brother of Thanos."

2:27.21 - Starfox - "What a pleasure it is to make your acquaintance, (slight pause) my fellow Eternals."

I took that as if Starfox is an Eternal.  If I say, "My fellow board members", or "My fellow Americans." I am talking to those that I share that same designation as.  

That's why I took it that he is an Eternal.

On 1/28/2022 at 5:04 AM, Gatsby77 said:

If Starfox says he is a "fellow Eternal," does that not make the MCU Thanos an Eternal as well?

If so, then it makes absolutely no sense that they didn't interfere with his plans in the last two Avengers films.

Exactly.  That was my point a few posts ago.  If Ikaris was willing to kill all of the other Eternals to accomplish Arishem's plans and orders then why not stop Thanos.  The birth of a Celestial is dependent on the life force of a growing population.  If Thanos snapped half of the universe's population out of existence then that would hinder the plans of Arishem.  Therefore Thanos needed to be stopped. 

Ikaris demonstrates that he will not interfere with humans but apparently that rule does not apply to other Eternals that go rogue.  Thanos, if he IS an Eternal, went rogue. 

The premise of the movie is flawed in so far as its ability to fit into the greater narrative of the Marvel Universe. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 1/28/2022 at 6:52 AM, Bosco685 said:

harry-styles-starfox.gif.d118e18f81e7cb135da3ffd1a659686a.gif

Guys - I think we're missing the big picture here.

Starfox appeared on-screen - there's only one direction for his first appearance to go -- to the moon!

Start stockpiling those Iron Man 55s now!

They had to shoehorn this movie into the MCU after 20 years of continuity. it wasn't gonna be pretty and it was never gonna fit perfectly. Plus the Starfox stuff wasn't until the after credits scene, so it might make you think afterwards but it is just a teaser, popcorn. Why not ask how Blade knows where Dane is and what he is about to do since he suddenly appears in the same room with him. It is just to excite, which I guess it did!

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. I don't rewatch too many movies on purpose (what, My Cousin Vinnie is on? Be there in a minute, let me get my drink.) There was more wrong than right on reflection, but it was well filmed and held my attention. It suffers under its' own weight and desire but at least it tried. There weren't shadowy fight scenes, good dialogue and light humor, Eternals looked great and I liked a few, Arishem looked great and was great to see. I enjoyed it.

On 1/26/2022 at 8:59 PM, CGC Mike said:

I am locking this for now or forever.  I haven't decided yet.  DO NOT start another thread about this topic.

I tried to get you to come clean this mess up last week. :baiting:

I also never took it that they were machines...the word is used once but I thought it was a metaphor. Or a simile perhaps.

They were created by Celestials...godlike beings. They are creations, but machine is a human word/concept. A biological machine is what...a human. They worship Arishem and he is their Creator. They are not human but I do not take it literally that they are "machines".

• Administrator
On 1/28/2022 at 7:58 AM, Bird said:

I tried to get you to come clean this mess up last week. :baiting:

Future cleanings will result in people being banned from this topic, and/or warning points added to their account.  I expect people to stay on topic and the conversations to remain civil.  Not too much to ask.  Especially in a movie thread,  

On 1/28/2022 at 8:04 AM, CGC Mike said:

Future cleanings will result in people being banned from this topic, and/or warning points added to their account.  I expect people to stay on topic and the conversations to remain civil.  Not too much to ask.  Especially in a movie thread,  

A very reasonable expectation and standard.

It's just crazy how someone has taken it on as their personal mission for well over a year now to detract from other member's character and opinions over MCU movies. Like a personal mission to drive down any other topic in order to make their point only Marvel Studios and MCU films matter. And he has clearly made this statement in many threads. Behavior like that drives extreme reactions at times, though we all should work to be adults in these threads.

:foryou:

On 1/28/2022 at 3:09 AM, Buzzetta said:

He does.

I opened Disney+ to get the exact words and times for anyone that wants to check it out. 

2:26.59 - Pip - "Behold the brother of Thanos."

2:27.21 - Starfox - "What a pleasure it is to make your acquaintance, (slight pause) my fellow Eternals."

I took that as if Starfox is an Eternal.  If I say, "My fellow board members", or "My fellow Americans." I am talking to those that I share that same designation as.  

That's why I took it that he is an Eternal.

Wow, must have blocked the My Fellow bit due to it being incredulous. 

Forget what I said then, I have 0 answers to give now.

On 1/27/2022 at 5:42 PM, Buzzetta said:

And @Bosco685

Let's take it a step further...

Starfox is an Eternal.

Pip introduces Starfox as the brother of Thanos.

The Eternals will not interfere with humans but WILL interfere with the efforts of OTHER Eternals deviating from the plans of the Celestials as seen in this very movie.

So now I am confused as to why they did not try and stop Thanos from wiping out half of the population around the Universe which would have slowed down the birthing energy required to launch new baby Celestials. 

I'm not even going to try and answer this, but I will say that I believe that the questions you are asking are the questions the Marvel people want you to be asking.  The entire point of that end credit teaser is to make people go "wait, what?  Who?  How?"  And then....build anticipation for when we get our answers later.

I have to believe, naive person that I am, that the Marvel people have some explanation in mind already.  Because on paper it makes no sense.  Will it be a good explanation?  No idea, and frankly, I have doubts.  But there will be some kind of explanation forthcoming.  

If I was a guessing man, it's going to be something like, well, you see, there's this whole other branch of Eternals that the Celestials created for some other purpose.  I mean, they like experiments, yes?  And maybe the Marvel people will hew somewhat closer to the actual Eternals comic origins and say these particular Eternals were genetically modified beings who evolved independently afterwards (as opposed to being "constructs" designed for a singular purpose).  Maybe they were the early experiments?  And Thanos had some Deviant genes mixed in with his other genes which kinda sorta explains his difference there?   

Just spitballing here.

On 1/28/2022 at 8:29 AM, Axelrod said:

I'm not even going to try and answer this, but I will say that I believe that the questions you are asking are the questions the Marvel people want you to be asking.  The entire point of that end credit teaser is to make people go "wait, what?  Who?  How?"  And then....build anticipation for when we get our answers later.

I have to believe, naive person that I am, that the Marvel people have some explanation in mind already.  Because on paper it makes no sense.  Will it be a good explanation?  No idea, and frankly, I have doubts.  But there will be some kind of explanation forthcoming.  

If I was a guessing man, it's going to be something like, well, you see, there's this whole other branch of Eternals that the Celestials created for some other purpose.  I mean, they like experiments, yes?  And maybe the Marvel people will hew somewhat closer to the actual Eternals comic origins and say these particular Eternals were genetically modified beings who evolved independently afterwards (as opposed to being "constructs" designed for a singular purpose).  Maybe they were the early experiments?  And Thanos had some Deviant genes mixed in with his other genes which kinda sorta explains his difference there?   

Just spitballing here.

With the three Spider-Men and a Multiverse of Madness coming, it seems likely that Marvel will just "other Earth" any storylines that are impossible to align with the MCU.  Existing X-Men movies are just another Earth, problem solved.  Eternals are just Celestial wind-up toys? Who took the head off the Celestial in Knowhere? (and where did the body go?) It's all a problem until it's solved by the multiverse solution.  Except that nothing matters, when there's some other universe where that bad thing didn't happen.  So, yeah, apart from nothing ever mattering anywhere... problem solved. :whistle:

On 1/28/2022 at 8:23 AM, valiantman said:

Except that nothing matters, when there's some other universe where that bad thing didn't happen.  So, yeah, apart from nothing ever mattering anywhere... problem solved. :whistle:

Isn't this exactly what they setup in Loki with Kang? Massive plot holes and sloppy writing all tied up in a bow cause Kang decided that was what was going down. :roflmao:

On 1/28/2022 at 11:05 AM, Finhead said:

Isn't this exactly what they setup in Loki with Kang? Massive plot holes and sloppy writing all tied up in a bow cause Kang decided that was what was going down. :roflmao:

I think the tv shows are different than the movies, tv shows are designed to circle back to where they started by and large and leave major stories to the movies. The tv shows will be explained by one or two lines in a movie.

The massive plots holes in Eternals are mostly about fitting in the bigger MCU or reconciling it with things we know from other movies (Ego gonna plant a seed in the earth anyone?). It has its' own problems as well of course and they are significant but didn't bother me too much in the end. (Seriously though, they don't understand Sersi's powers after all these years of fighting?)

Arishem was groovy. Tiamut too. It was like a big dinner where you see what they were trying to do, it was good but not as good as it should be, but in the end you question if it was all worth it.

On 1/28/2022 at 11:36 AM, Bird said:

I think the tv shows are different than the movies, tv shows are designed to circle back to where they started by and large and leave major stories to the movies. The tv shows will be explained by one or two lines in a movie.

The TV shows were designed to be homework for understanding the movies, which I have been against since Day 1.