• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WandaVision (2020)
6 6

3,184 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Another of an infinity of problems with traveling back in time.  I can only assume the Russos read the wrong time-traveling stories.

I would have less trouble with hopping to alternate dimensions for each stone.

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

I just re-watched Infinity War last week.  It's one of Marvel's best, although a few rank above it.

I've been avoiding ranking Endgame among all superhero films.  I'm biased against time-travel stories because I'm well-familiar with the unavoidable problems with them from many I've seen in the past.  It's in the top 30 superhero films due to everything in that film that doesn't relate to the time travel idea--probably top 15 or 20--but I'm not sure where.  I really, really, REALLY wish the Russos had avoided time travel...that's a hard (read: logically and almost certainly PHYSICALLY impossible) road to go down.

I’m in the camp of ‘Endgame was enjoyable, but Infinity War was better’

The minute they started talking about time travel I rolled my eyes and thought “here we go” as I rank time travel just above ‘It was all a dream’ as  a way to resolve plot problems. 

8 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Another of an infinity of problems with traveling back in time.  I can only assume the Russos read the wrong time-traveling stories.

I think the basic understanding is that all reality exists in atomic records, which can be brought back to life through quantum entanglement. The atoms know where to place everything, it's not that Hulk had to think of where to place each individual. If you take the wrong turn following your GPS, it course corrects itself.

Edited by chezmtghut

37 minutes ago, Muno42 said:

I still need to know more about the Hulk Snap. When pilots got dusted, the plane went down half full so people died. Are those people back because the Thanos snap was "undone"? Did they all reappear in the air where the plane was and fall to their death? Not many time travel stories take into account the Earth having moved in orbit, so that bugs me...however!!! I really liked Endgame. Cap wielding Mjolnr and finally saying Avengers Assemble! was Cap fan Heaven!

It might be assumed that, regarding commercial airline jets, the Snap only disappeared half the flight crew, so if the main pilot ceased to exist, the co-pilot took over as flight captain and safely landed the plane. And as argued earlier, Professor Hulk was smart enough to know/think that "bring everybody home" means bring everybody back safely.

What would be an interesting story element for future MCU films is to address the sudden population explosion that Earth, and the Universe, may not have been ready for.

34 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I’m in the camp of ‘Endgame was enjoyable, but Infinity War was better’

The minute they started talking about time travel I rolled my eyes and thought “here we go” as I rank time travel just above ‘It was all a dream’ as  a way to resolve plot problems. 

Yeah, but I liked how our heroes tackled the "science" from a fresh perspective, using the Quantum Realm as opposed to traveling really fast or using a time machine. Science-fiction science aside, time travel stories have historically been some of the best science fiction stories. I believe the two best Star Trek stories happen to be time travel stories, The City on the Edge of Forever and Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. Back to the Future is an all-time sci-fi classic. And Die Hard also still ranks among the best.

What the MCU has done from a cinematic standpoint will never be done again . I concur that time travel can be a bit hokey at times ...but then again - we are all here under the premise of being comic book fans , where each new writer can and will retcon , re- write , glaze over and even forget events that have occurred in a timeline . Film and comic books . Not real , but hopefully enjoyable and entertaining nonetheless which in my opinion the MCU has in spades.

7 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Yeah, but I liked how our heroes tackled the "science" from a fresh perspective, using the Quantum Realm as opposed to traveling really fast or using a time machine. Science-fiction science aside, time travel stories have historically been some of the best science fiction stories. I believe the two best Star Trek stories happen to be time travel stories, The City on the Edge of Forever and Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. Back to the Future is an all-time sci-fi classic. And Die Hard also still ranks among the best.

I must be missing something. Die Hard?

O.o

15 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

It might be assumed that, regarding commercial airline jets, the Snap only disappeared half the flight crew, so if the main pilot ceased to exist, the co-pilot took over as flight captain and safely landed the plane. And as argued earlier, Professor Hulk was smart enough to know/think that "bring everybody home" means bring everybody back safely.

What would be an interesting story element for future MCU films is to address the sudden population explosion that Earth, and the Universe, may not have been ready for.

that's not how the snap works. hawkeye's wife and 45 kids all disappeared. fury and hill both disappeared. it doesn't save the person next to the dusted one.

59 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

Not thinking about it would be the easiest to grasp, but since we are, I'm trying to explain it scientifically.

Where did you get your doctorate in time travel? I am stuck in the house in a snowstorm, I might have extra time on my hands. stark figured out the mechanics of it in like 2 hours, right?

3 minutes ago, the blob said:

that's not how the snap works. hawkeye's wife and 45 kids all disappeared. fury and hill both disappeared. it doesn't save the person next to the dusted one.

Don't think too hard.  I think it's reasonable that some planes may have crashed.

4 minutes ago, the blob said:

A quick Google search says a standard flight crew contains a pilot/captain, a copilot/first officer, a navigator, and a flight engineer. All must have the same level of flight training. That's four experienced airline pilots onboard. Shirley at least one of those pilots would survive the Snap to safely land the plane.

7 minutes ago, the blob said:

Hawkeye had 45 kids?!?!?! 

Helicopters ... not so much , as we’ve seen 

but since we’re dwelling 

- train / subway conductors 

- surgeons 

-air traffic controllers 

- crane operators 

- bus drivers 

- boat /submarine captains 

it’s like watching “ the leftovers “ all over again 

11 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

A quick Google search says a standard flight crew contains a pilot/captain, a copilot/first officer, a navigator, and a flight engineer. All must have the same level of flight training. That's four experienced airline pilots onboard. Shirley at least one of those pilots would survive the Snap to safely land the plane.

My name is not Shirley.

Clearly you have never flown a prop plane to bumblephuck upstate New York. I'm not sure those have any licensed pilots, but they do know to space the fat guys far apart.

3 minutes ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

Helicopters ... not so much , as we’ve seen 

but since we’re dwelling 

- train / subway conductors 

- surgeons 

-air traffic controllers 

- crane operators 

- bus drivers 

- boat /submarine captains 

it’s like watching “ the leftovers “ all over again 

A quick Google search tells me that if a Subway operator takes full pressure off the throttle, emergency brakes kick in. We saw helicopters and automobiles crash at the end of Infinity War. On a submarine, there should have been enough trained sailors onboard to expertly surface a submarine during the Snap.

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

A quick Google search tells me that if a Subway operator takes full pressure off the throttle, emergency brakes kick in. We saw helicopters and automobiles crash at the end of Infinity War. On a submarine, there should have been enough trained sailors onboard to expertly surface a submarine during the Snap.

Trained sailors I’m not sure of , but plenty of seamen .