• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WandaVision (2020)
6 6

3,184 posts in this topic

I think that the :D emoji went over someone's head. After the first couple of episodes, this show has been somewhat entertaining, at least. I'm not sure how conveying disappointment is being conflated with "hatred". (shrug)

With a $225 million budget, and these great actors/actresses, the writing has been a colossal failure. Is Marvel immune to criticism, or something...?

7 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

I think that the :D emoji went over someone's head. After the first couple of episodes, this show has been somewhat entertaining, at least. I'm not sure how conveying disappointment is being conflated with "hatred". (shrug)

With a $225 million budget, and these great actors/actresses, the writing has been a colossal failure. Is Marvel immune to criticism, or something...?

I think the show has been amazing from the start, and have enjoyed each moment immensely.  It's the perfect segue into the next phase of movies!

I have no dog in this fight.

I have never even heard of this show, but all the hubbub and kerfuffle has me intrigued. I want to see it now, out of sheer curiosity.

You guys should work for an ad agency. Publicity doesn't get much better than this.  :smile:

52 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

There's a gaping hole the size of the Grand Canyon's worth of difference.  

I used to think JoeCollector and RMA were bad about doing this, but since the ignore function doesn't affect quoted text I know from this thread and half a dozen others there's a new forum champion.

Opinions = Opinions

Sometimes I post here just to 'talk out loud.'

Nobody else I know is watching this show, for a variety of reasons (not Marvel fans, not Disney fans, don't have/want streaming, don't care, whatever...)
Sorry - but Mrs. Voltage ain't watching this show. Superhero movies are not her thing.

I also post things to legitimately hear what you all think and get your opinions.
I think there have been some very good ideas and reactions to the show in here.
Some folks are a little more aggressive in their opinions than others. Some more logical.
I may or may not agree with it/them, but if I didn't want to be here, I wouldn't be.

Looking forward to the finale.
It will be tough to meet expectations/guesses/what-ifs...
It would be awesome if there is some cool intrigue left out there to bridge us to Dr. Strange or Spidey or whatever show comes next.
I'm prepared to be a little disappointed, but hopeful Marvel can give us a good ending here.

I'm still pretty shocked Marvel chose these two characters to make a show about!

2 hours ago, jcjames said:

Grief schmief!

It's a perfect peak into the mind of someone losing their mind, like a truly organic mental disease, dementia, psychosis, schizophenia. Nothing makes sense. Everything is connected to nothing, yet to everything. Just spirals of unanswered questions, pointless disconnected comments and aimless actions. A picture of insanity, not grief. 

I'm going to say WandaVision is not about mental illness. What would be Wanda's exact clinical diagnosis? Bipolar Disorder? PTSD? The former a person is born with. The latter a person acquires after a brain injury or perhaps extreme psychological trauma. To chalk up the Maximoff Anomoly to just a psychotic breakdown by Wanda perhaps doesn't do justice to the difficulty people with actual disorders deal with their illness and kind of generalizes mental illness.

I do think the theme of WandaVision is grief. Wanda is so overcome with grief in her life that it unleashes the goddess of Chaos Magic Energy hidden within her, to which Wanda herself becomes a kind of a slave to, just like the other residents of Westview.

One thing I'm having trouble connecting, though, is the clear lucidity Wanda displayed when she went outside the Hex to confront Heyward and the dream state submission she seems to display in WandaVision's TV Land.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I'm going to say WandaVision is not about mental illness. What would be Wanda's exact clinical diagnosis? Bipolar Disorder? PTSD? The former a person is born with. The latter a person acquires after a brain injury or perhaps extreme psychological trauma. To chalk up the Maximoff Anomoly to just a psychotic breakdown by Wanda perhaps doesn't do justice to the difficulty people with actual disorders deal with their illness and kind of generalizes mental illness.

I do think the theme of WandaVision is grief. Wanda is so overcome with grief in her life that it unleashes the goddess of Chaos Magic Energy hidden within her, to which Wanda herself becomes a kind of a slave to, just like the other residents of Westview.

One thing I'm having trouble connecting, though, is the clear lucidity Wanda displayed when she went outside the Hex to confront Heyward and the dream state submission she seems to display in WandaVision's TV Land.

That is an excellent point.

But this is much more than grief to me. I'm not trying to minimize mental illness, but there is great overlap with the reactions she has inside the hex to things she doesn't understand, or remember, or want to tolerate. It's resembles a mix of many illnesses, possibly all brought on by the intense grief, but the consequences of what she does (blowing Monica out of the hex, or rewinding the tape, or being befuddled by the question of "where are you from?", etc.) I think her mind is being warped from within and without - and we are just watching the purely random, pointless, unconnected things in her world just as someone who has mentally broken from reality observes a broken reality. Yes, chaos would describe it well.

Edited by jcjames

20 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

Let’s slow down on the Olsens the greatest actress in the world

let’s not forget the MCU has another actress 

Truth be told,  I’m a little disappointed this bait was not taken. Nice effort tho (thumbsu

https://slate.com/culture/2021/03/wandavision-trauma-recovery-i-may-destroy-you-flight-attendant.html

"A TRAUMA THERAPIST ON WHAT WANDAVISION GETS RIGHT

We all cope with trauma differently. Some of us drink, some of us doomscroll, and some of us imprison the residents of an entire New Jersey suburb in a hexagonal force field and make them enact decades of sitcom history against their will. OK, maybe that last one’s a special case.

WandaVision is replete with magical goings-on, but, stripped down to its core, the show is about a woman trying, and failing, to cope with the aftermath of an unthinkable loss. Even though Wanda can do extraordinary things, she still struggles with the nebulous and thorny concepts of grief and sorrow. And in the COVID era, in which living with constant trauma has become a painful reality for almost everyone on Earth, Wanda—a costumed superhero, married to an android, with the possibly unlimited power to shape reality to her will—has quickly become one of the most relatable characters on television."

20 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

Let’s slow down on the Olsens the greatest actress in the world

let’s not forget the MCU has another actress 

Brie Larson is still the only Avenger (or Guardian even) to have won an Oscar for Best Acting. Her film is also one of only three solo MCU films to break a billion at the box office. She's also still the strongest Avenger (let's see Thor beat Thanos at cosmic peaknuckle).

So much winning.

3 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

She's also still the strongest Avenger (let's see Thor beat Thanos at cosmic peaknuckle).

Like Monica said, Wanda also would've beaten Thanos in a head to head fight. (Just getting things back on track to Wanda.)

38 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Brie Larson is still the only Avenger (or Guardian even) to have won an Oscar for Best Acting. Her film is also one of only three solo MCU films to break a billion at the box office. She's also still the strongest Avenger (let's see Thor beat Thanos at cosmic peaknuckle).

So much winning.

winning01.gif.b4e00ebb02f719dc72b02bccc67ae1bb.gif

Close your robe! :baiting:

38 minutes ago, bpc3qh said:

Like Monica said, Wanda also would've beaten Thanos in a head to head fight. (Just getting things back on track to Wanda.)

Throne_Of_Lies01.gif.670f8b048f6f3d7242e02fc4137d3eec.gif

(:

Wanda was really beating Thanos down to the point even he was shocked.

In Episode 8's 1693 scene, when the witches collectively blast Agatha with blue magic energy, you see bits of red sparks flutter initially around her. Are these remnants of Chaos energy? What if, like in Star Wars, always two there are, a master and an apprentice? What if a dark master of chaos energy showed Agatha the way to dark magic way back then which is why we see those red sparkles? And what if Agatha has been used by said dark master to one day find the Scarlet Witch and help unleash her on Earth? What if this same dark master has influenced many other people over history and has helped shape civilization as we know it? Just another theory for there possibly being another character behind the scenes we haven't seen yet. I mean, it's the MCU where we've seen Surter and Hela and Thanos and Ego. I don't think it diminishes from Wanda's power-up to see another big bad villain who isn't necessarily pulling Wanda's strings but seeks to exploit her just like Heyward and Agatha are.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

55 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

So much winning.

It certainly wasn't for her CM performance! :gossip:

:ohnoez:

22 minutes ago, bpc3qh said:

I think that proves I'm not sitting on a throne of lies, right?

:roflmao:

No_Guy.gif.b24f3d25002bab02ebc19fa3a75ef06e.gif

Wanda is the MCU powerhouse that can work across the multiverse beyond anyone else's capabilities (other than The One Above All when they show up). But don't take my word for it. Let's ask Kevin Feige.

While participating in a Q&A with the New York Film Academy, Feige is asked as of Endgame who would be the strongest Marvel hero.

"Well, I think it is interesting if you look at Endgame, Wanda Maximoff was going to kill Thanos. If he hadn't desperately - that's as scared as I've ever seen Thanos - and if he hadn't said 'decimate my entire team to get her off of me,' I think she would have done it," Feige confirms.

38:08 by the way :banana:

Edited by Bosco685