• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WandaVision (2020)
6 6

3,184 posts in this topic

re: Nightmare theories.

Nightmare just isn't a major enough villain to cross over multiple MCU properties the way Thanos or Loki do. Mephisto is major enough. If there is an outside inter-dimensional being influencing Wanda or maybe augmenting her powers (she could never transmutate matter in the MCU before), it's gotta be Mephisto.

40 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

If there is an outside inter-dimensional being influencing Wanda or maybe augmenting her powers (she could never transmutate matter in the MCU before), it's gotta be Mephisto.

She could in the comics though, and Feige has been explicitly saying for years how inexperienced at using her powers she is in the MCU and how they would be pulling more of them in from the comics.

4 hours ago, piper said:

I have no idea where this show goes over the last three episodes.

It has to be Mephisto? Perhaps, we haven’t seen him yet...

I really believe now that it 100% is NOT Mephisto.  First of all, from a purely storytelling perspective, they've been planting the seeds for him SO obviously for us Marvel fans from the beginning that if it IS him... it's not some big reveal.  And for casual/MCU-only fans? If the big bad shows up and it's the devil? It will be a real WTF moment.

Also from a storytelling perspective, whomever the big bad is, if you wait this long to reveal it, it normally means it's someone KNOWN.  In other words, you don't wait and in the last episode reveal the villain to be.... TAH DAH! "this person no one has ever heard of".  There's no drama in that.  Thanos was such a great villain because they teased him for like 5 years. So even people who'd never heard of him, by the time he showed up for real, they had a sense of who and what he was.

So that's why, just for the purposes of serving the story, I don't think it will be Mephisto.

And now, for a purely financial reason? I forget where I read this... but I feel fairly certain I did at some point read that one big issue Marvel (or anyone) would have with using the Devil as the main villian in a story, is there are large parts of the world that will NOT promote/broadcast your movie/show if you use the devil as a character.  No way Marvel purposely shrinks their market that way.  I believe that is why, in the books, he's called Mephisto rather than "the Devil" but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't fly for TV/movies.

So I think that's a second strike against him.

Believe me, I've been seeing all the same "it's got to be Mephisto" stuff all season long... it's just that now my "Peter Tingle" is telling me it's not.  LOL sorry, just watched Spider-Man: Far From Home again today.

46 minutes ago, fmaz said:

I really believe now that it 100% is NOT Mephisto.  First of all, from a purely storytelling perspective, they've been planting the seeds for him SO obviously for us Marvel fans from the beginning that if it IS him... it's not some big reveal.  And for casual/MCU-only fans? If the big bad shows up and it's the devil? It will be a real WTF moment.

Also from a storytelling perspective, whomever the big bad is, if you wait this long to reveal it, it normally means it's someone KNOWN.  In other words, you don't wait and in the last episode reveal the villain to be.... TAH DAH! "this person no one has ever heard of".  There's no drama in that.  Thanos was such a great villain because they teased him for like 5 years. So even people who'd never heard of him, by the time he showed up for real, they had a sense of who and what he was.

So that's why, just for the purposes of serving the story, I don't think it will be Mephisto.

And now, for a purely financial reason? I forget where I read this... but I feel fairly certain I did at some point read that one big issue Marvel (or anyone) would have with using the Devil as the main villian in a story, is there are large parts of the world that will NOT promote/broadcast your movie/show if you use the devil as a character.  No way Marvel purposely shrinks their market that way.  I believe that is why, in the books, he's called Mephisto rather than "the Devil" but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't fly for TV/movies.

So I think that's a second strike against him.

Believe me, I've been seeing all the same "it's got to be Mephisto" stuff all season long... it's just that now my "Peter Tingle" is telling me it's not.  LOL sorry, just watched Spider-Man: Far From Home again today.

I feel like they can get away with calling Mephisto master of his own dimension, and have him be a great magic wielding pseudo deity or some other nonsense and just give him a devilish vibe. They literally have Norse gods and no one bats an eye, demons like Surtur and fire demons or Hela and what they represent. I don't think any of those hurt Disney/Marvel's bottom line.

No average Joe had heard of Thanos before his tease at the end of Avengers as the villain behind the curtain just like the average viewer has no idea who Mephisto is. If they tease Mephistos ulterior motives here, then he comes back in Multiverse of Madness, and then he shows back up for something darker like Blade or Ghost Rider they build up his character properly for a larger role. Certainly if the endgame, no pun intended, is to do something akin to Midnight Sons, now would be the time to start planting seeds. 

I think they'd run into trouble tieing the horror oriented characters like Blade, Moon Knight and Ghost Rider to the other more "heroic" heroes like Captain Marvel, and Black Panther or the cosmic oriented Guardians, so if you take those spooky guys and give them their own big bad to build up to then you can have a reason why they're not involved in fighting Kang like the Avengers/Young Avengers will be going forward. 

Just some thoughts that spilled out of my head I honestly have no idea where this going I just like to play the guessing game.

32 minutes ago, jcjames said:

If WandaVision leads into DS2, that would be a big-screen for Meph to start wreaking havoc across the mulitiverseses.

But they've put enough veiled and obvious hints at several possible baddies, all enough for anyone to say "Called it!".

There's WAY too many "hell" "devil" "demon spawn" references at this point for it not to be Mephisto.  I mean seriously, they're beating us over the head with those references.

4 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Yikes.  I prefer the original 

It's just a scarecrow-type Halloween decoration, but it's still a crimson-ish demon that seems to be watching Wanda. And then there's the bright red door behind the demon. Might be a stretch to say it's another point towards the demon Mephisto, but I found it creepy.

Edited by @therealsilvermane