• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THOR 4: LOVE AND THUNDER directed by Taika Waititi (11/5/21)
9 9

957 posts in this topic

On 4/18/2022 at 11:53 AM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

***That Jane Thor was the money shot^^

I already knew she was in it as Thor so that prior comic knowledge may have spoiled that moment a bit for me.

Question about other people wielding Mjolnir.  Originally all of the power of Thor was contained within Mjolnir, but starting with the Ultimate version of Thor they changed him so that he was a god with the innate power and Mjolnir was just to focus it.  What did the comics establish as the powers granted to Mjolnir to others now that Thor has his powers separately from Mjolnir?

In the MCU when we saw Cap with Mjolnir it looked as if it mostly just granted him the ability to use it as a weapon, the ability for it to return to him like some sort of boomerang, and the ability to project lightning.  But the power level of the lightning was far below what we've seen from Thor himself in the MCU.  I'm wondering if it will work the same way with Jane.  I know in the comic it also made her physically stronger and tougher, but I have no idea how Jane as Thor's abilities compare to Thor Odinson himself.

Thor in mythology is ridiculously strong and can command the storms. Thor is the only one strong enough to wield Mjolnr. Stan and Jack added the inscription putting the power of Thor in the hammer so that Don Blake "becomes Thor" in a superhero kind of way. Later Stan and Jack retconned that when they knew Thor was really going to be around and Jack clearly wanted to draw more Asgard. Nobody could lift Mjolnr until Uncle Walt introduced us to Beta Ray Bill. If fact, no one ever mentioned that inscription since JIM 83. The explanation was that Odin's magic in the inscription gave the power to Bill. In a way, that makes the Cap scene in Endgame work. Thor is the God of Thunder, but Cap was able to wield Thor-like power because he is worthy. 

On 4/18/2022 at 1:07 PM, Muno42 said:

Stan and Jack added the inscription putting the power of Thor in the hammer so that Don Blake "becomes Thor" in a superhero kind of way. Later Stan and Jack retconned that when they knew Thor was really going to be around and Jack clearly wanted to draw more Asgard.

That I haven't heard.  Any idea when they did that, or how the ret-con worked?  The Ultimate version fixed it because it was just a re-telling of everyone's origin so they just left Donald Blake out, but I never figured out how the main 616 would resolve Donald Blake and Thor co-existing.

Edited by fantastic_four

On 4/18/2022 at 2:20 PM, fantastic_four said:

That I haven't heard.  Any idea when they did that, or how the ret-con worked?  The Ultimate version fixed it because it was just a re-telling of everyone's origin so they just left Donald Blake out, but I never figured out how the main 616 would resolve Donald Blake and Thor co-existing.

I did some wikipedia'ing to try to get up to speed - I think it lists 10 people who have wielded the hammer in the comics -- err, a hammer, as I believe both Beta Ray Bill and Erik Masterson had different ones.

But I immediately thought of this Fantastic Four cover from Civil War. One of my absolute favorites. In the story in question, Dr. Doom uses Mjolnir to escape from hell.

Fantastic_Four_Vol_1_536.webp

Edited by Gatsby77

I'm not a fan of the MCU running joke that has become Thor compared to the comic book powerful being with a vast world to protect from Asgard and beyond.

Although initially I had a decent time with Thor: Ragnarok once I reflected what they had done to Thor and how supporting characters for the sake of gags I felt letdown. But let's see where the MCU takes this one.

On 4/18/2022 at 2:46 PM, Bosco685 said:

I'm not a fan of the MCU running joke that has become Thor compared to the comic book powerful being with a vast world to protect from Asgard and beyond.

Although initially I had a decent time with Thor: Ragnarok once I reflected what they had done to Thor and how supporting characters for the sake of gags I felt letdown. But let's see where the MCU takes this one.

I know people like Ragnarok, but I thought it was hugely disrespectful to the characters. 

I thought the Trailer was underwhelming.  I did really like Ragnarok but that doesn't mean all the Thor movies now have to have him as comedic 100% of the time now. That being said, Thor is a hard character to get right in the MCU I think without looking cheesy.