• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THOR 4: LOVE AND THUNDER directed by Taika Waititi (11/5/21)
9 9

959 posts in this topic

On 4/18/2022 at 2:20 PM, fantastic_four said:

That I haven't heard.  Any idea when they did that, or how the ret-con worked?  The Ultimate version fixed it because it was just a re-telling of everyone's origin so they just left Donald Blake out, but I never figured out how the main 616 would resolve Donald Blake and Thor co-existing.

Wikipedia sums it up. The Donald Blake "entity" was transferred into Stormbringer for Beta Ray Bill to change into a normal version of his race. Thor's father Odin decides his son needed to be taught humility and consequently incarnates Thor (without memories of godhood) on Earth as a mortal, partially disabled human medical student, Donald Blake.[55] After becoming a doctor, Blake witnesses the arrival of an alien scouting party while he is on vacation in Norway. Blake flees from the aliens into a cave. After discovering Thor's hammer Mjolnir (disguised as a walking stick) and striking it against a rock, he transforms into the thunder god.[56] Later, in Thor #159, Blake is revealed to have always been Thor, Odin's enchantment having caused him to forget his history as The Thunder God and believe himself mortal.[57]

In recent years I believe Don Blake has returned and I am sure is actually something different all together in a modern Marvel "Let me explain how Stan and Jack were wrong" way.

I loved Ragnarok. I know people thought it was too comedic, but the comedy worked for me and the whole movie looked like a Jack Kirby comic book come to life. This doesn't look as great. Except for Jane. That last shot may have sold the movie.

On 4/19/2022 at 7:36 AM, Xenosmilus said:

I thought the Trailer was underwhelming.  I did really like Ragnarok but that doesn't mean all the Thor movies now have to have him as comedic 100% of the time now. That being said, Thor is a hard character to get right in the MCU I think without looking cheesy.

Taika has you right where he wants you then (thumbsu

On 4/20/2022 at 9:50 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Idk, I didn't see any mention of that giant marble hand/head in No Way Home. :devil:

I grant you that.  lol

I'm sure the eyeball thing is a detail they can always play with between now and the final release.  Seems the kind of little thing they usually do try to get right.

On 4/20/2022 at 10:23 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I grant you that.  lol

I'm sure the eyeball thing is a detail they can always play with between now and the final release.  Seems the kind of little thing they usually do try to get right.

Could just be incomplete VFX (I doubt that he's wearing a contact). I do think that a lot of continuity is going to be ignored or missed going forward, though.

On 4/20/2022 at 3:27 PM, RickSp said:

'Infinity War' Thor is my favourite Thor interpretation. But it's clear that comedy Thor is the winner for the MCU.

To be fair Hemsworth does it well, and he seems to be around for the long haul so I can see plenty more Thor centric stories to come.

Not really. It just so happens that the most well-received movie titled "Thor" was the one with the most jokes. I actually think that Waititi's representation of the title character is really awful. I'm sick of Marvel turning everyone into Deadpool, with constant self-deprecating gags and non-stop pop culture winks.