• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THOR 4: LOVE AND THUNDER directed by Taika Waititi (11/5/21)
9 9

960 posts in this topic

On 9/12/2022 at 1:49 PM, Wall-Crawler said:

The one thing that really bothered me was a plot point...

Hide contents

Why didn't Thor, if he could give a bunch of kids the power of Thor, just not give, you know, adult Asgardians from New Asgard his powers, some of whom would presumably be from a warrior class of Asgardians to go fight Gorr? Why would he even need other God's? Why not just do that in the first place? Oh, I know,we wouldn't have had the cool teddy bear shooting electricity out of its eyes scene...Sigh...

Spoiler

Ok, so not having seen the movie yet (and no I don't mind reading spoilers), so they seriously gave a bunch of kids "god like powers" and sent them against someone called "Gorr the God Butcher"?  WTF?

On 9/12/2022 at 4:38 PM, media_junkie said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Ok, so not having seen the movie yet (and no I don't mind reading spoilers), so they seriously gave a bunch of kids "god like powers" and sent them against someone called "Gorr the God Butcher"?  WTF?

Spoiler

Saw it on Disney+

It was not as terrible as some made it out to be but there are definitely flaws.  I think I would best describe as if Taika Waititi was allowed to suddenly stop taking his ADHD meds and then given control over a Thor movie. 

There were definitely some spots that were absolutely great and then quite a few that made me cringe. 

It was watchable but it was a standalone movie and did not seem to lead into anything so I do not see the need to revisit it unless they link it to something.

Anyone else have some shades of influence of Star Trek V ?

On 9/12/2022 at 4:47 PM, Buzzetta said:

Saw it on Disney+

It was not as terrible as some made it out to be but there are definitely flaws.  I think I would best describe as if Taika Waititi was allowed to suddenly stop taking his ADHD meds and then given control over a Thor movie. 

There were definitely some spots that were absolutely great and then quite a few that made me cringe. 

It was watchable but it was a standalone movie and did not seem to lead into anything so I do not see the need to revisit it unless they link it to something.

Anyone else have some shades of influence of Star Trek V ?

I must know, what parts were "absolutely great" ?  You would be helping me tremendously.

Edited by Artboy99

I just watched this garbage again with my daughter and wife thinking it couldn't have been as bad as I thought it was when I saw it at the movies with my friends :facepalm: it was worse

I don't have a clue what Marvel thought they were doing with phase 4 but it's awful

phase 5 has got to get better, right :whistle:

when I watch most of the movies that were in the first 3 phases they seem like masterpieces compared to what we're getting now

On 9/12/2022 at 6:34 PM, Azkaban said:

I just watched this garbage again with my daughter and wife thinking it couldn't have been as bad as I thought it was when I saw it at the movies with my friends :facepalm: it was worse

I don't have a clue what Marvel thought they were doing with phase 4 but it's awful

when I watch most of the movies that were in the first 3 phases they seem like masterpieces compared to what we're getting now

Can it get any worse? No where to go but up

I’m with @Buzzetta.  Not great, but nowhere near as bad as some are making it out to be.  The main problem in my mind is that Waititi was not the one to make a Gorr the god butcher film, and now was not the time for it.  Had they had someone else do a Gorr film now it would have been too much.  Every Thor film so far has had tragedy after tragedy befall Thor.  Doing Gorr right now would have been way too much.  Just rename him Job at that point.  I’m sure they could have found another lighter arc they could have done now with Waititi directing.  Then do a more serious Gorr arc later.

Not great, not terrible. Felt like there was a decent --script in there somewhere.

The bad: Way too many dumb jokes, felt like a watered down sequel to the last one. Not enough serious moments. 

Ever seen Scooby Doo when it was just Scrappy, Shaggy, and Scooby...This!

The good: Christian Bale actually was a good villain. Goats were funny. I liked some of the serious moments when they had them.

Edited by Rip

On 9/12/2022 at 8:34 PM, Azkaban said:

Quantumania kicks off Phase 5, with Kang, so I'm hoping/guessing that things may turn back around. I very highly doubt that I will ever be a "must see every movie in theaters" kinda guy for Marvel ever again. I'm going to be picky about what I see beyond Phase Bore.

On 9/12/2022 at 9:12 PM, paqart said:

I'm tired of the old, "surprise! the new Thor is a girl and she's stronger than the original Thor! And smarter, prettier, and nicer!" I'm not surprised any longer because it happens every single time. They even do it with original female characters. They are always better than the men around them. There are no exceptions to this.

Gonna have to disagree to some degree: I'm glad that The Wasp has not done this with Ant-Man (yet).

My mom texted me last night that she watched this on Sunday. I'll quote her word-for-word:

Watched Love and Thunder yesterday. 2 hours of my life I won't get back. Really disappointed. Maybe some things I just didn't get, but meh.

It was rough and confusing. Comedy? No! Marvel movie? No! Just all over the place.

If I say it was a bit of a s**t show, I think that says a lot. I'm not a comic person. Just give me solid characters with a good story that makes sense.

I have mentioned before that my parents don't really dislike many movies. They grew up with comic books but are not tied to the way characters are written the same way that I am.