• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THOR 4: LOVE AND THUNDER directed by Taika Waititi (11/5/21)
9 9

960 posts in this topic

On 9/13/2022 at 7:01 AM, media_junkie said:

That was awful.  Like seriously WTF awful.

When I saw the kids with those flashlight eyes, all I could think about was "Chuckie"...it was creepy and not very well done. Even if they used the concept, surely there was a better way to film it.

On 9/13/2022 at 8:38 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Gonna have to disagree to some degree: I'm glad that The Wasp has not done this with Ant-Man (yet).

Forgot about Wasp. Still, she was knocking Ant-Man around like he was a cat toy in boxing practice, was better at controlling the ants, clearly is more mature, and always knows more than he does about everything. When a joke is made, it is at Scott Lang's expense, never Janet van Dyne.

was not impressed with this movie at all... trying to force the humor... the music was a wink at the audience (pretty certain I saw the rat monster they were fighting throw up the :headbang: to the GNR soundtrack before they attacked Thor and company... ugh) as someone here stated probably a good story in there somewhere... Gorr was good... Zeus was cringeworthy... too bad they had to rush through the Mighty Thor story line... it might have worked better spread out some... and the trying to find a catch phrase carp wasn't funny...  I'll go back and re-watch in the near future to see if my take on it is being too critical... I didn't hate the movie... more just disappointed in how it turned out...

On 9/13/2022 at 9:59 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

To be fair, she grew up as the daughter of the original Ant-Man, so I think it's believable that she would be better at most of these things. I also think that Paul Rudd plays perfectly into self-deprecation, much like Will Farrel.

More believable, yes, but still a continuation of the pattern. If I had to pick any of the female characters as "better" than the male counterpart, it might be Wasp over Lang, though not over Pym. In that case, remember the MCU's original Wasp did best Pym by making the sacrifice of diving into the missile without her regulator. I do not understand how She-Hulk can be stronger than Bruce Banner's Hulk, or She-Thor over Thor, Potts over Stark, etc. I would also appreciate it if the film makers would stop cutting to close-up shots of various smug grins on the faces of female superheroes after they have just predictably (and unbelievably) bested their male counterpart. It is insulting.
The way this looks to me is like a one-player chess game. One player makes all of the moves for both sides, then gives a smug grin at the end after besting an imaginary and defenseless opponent, and is showered with praise for the achievement. I'm watching all this thinking, "did anyone else see what I just saw? Because that person did not just win a legitimate game."

On 9/13/2022 at 11:31 AM, paqart said:

More believable, yes, but still a continuation of the pattern. If I had to pick any of the female characters as "better" than the male counterpart, it might be Wasp over Lang, though not over Pym. In that case, remember the MCU's original Wasp did best Pym by making the sacrifice of diving into the missile without her regulator. I do not understand how She-Hulk can be stronger than Bruce Banner's Hulk, or She-Thor over Thor, Potts over Stark, etc. I would also appreciate it if the film makers would stop cutting to close-up shots of various smug grins on the faces of female superheroes after they have just predictably (and unbelievably) bested their male counterpart. It is insulting.
The way this looks to me is like a one-player chess game. One player makes all of the moves for both sides, then gives a smug grin at the end after besting an imaginary and defenseless opponent, and is showered with praise for the achievement. I'm watching all this thinking, "did anyone else see what I just saw? Because that person did not just win a legitimate game."

lol

women-overrated.gif

image.jpeg.ac1acea6719439aa0af60a889b94511d.jpeg

On 9/13/2022 at 10:31 AM, paqart said:

On 9/13/2022 at 7:43 PM, thunsicker said:

image.jpeg.ac1acea6719439aa0af60a889b94511d.jpeg

Keep in mind, I am not saying "boys are better than girls" as your image response implies. I am saying that always making female characters better than all of the male characters, particularly when combined with arrogant depictions of the same, is both unrealistic and offensive. It's similar to the old expression, "All your bases are belong to us". It is haughty and wrong.

Decided might as well watch it now that it was on streaming.

It was...pretty bad. I get the tone being a joke because it is all from Korgs perspective and narration, but if they wanted to make it a narrated story they really should have stuck with it and had more interjections by Korg during the movie (much like the Princess Bridge, stopping and starting the tale mid telling). As it is, the humour doesn't work and felt forced (heck 99% of any attempt at any sort of emotion felt forced in the first 90% of the film). Jane could have been the focus of this movie far more and it would have been better for it.

I did feel the movie got decent towards the end, only there we got something that resembled actual connections and real rapport between the characters (once they were on the boat and Jane revealed her illness to Thor, kids with Thor, Thor and Love). Loved the scene with the kids getting empowered was great and perhaps the only exciting and energetic/uplifting scene in the movie. Bale was great in the role, so no fault with Gorr other than perhaps would have liked even more of him (though I am unsure of exactly what that would have looked like in the movie since I can't point at anything I feel was missing with his scenes).

Eternity was nice to see, so that was maybe the high point.

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 9/12/2022 at 9:12 PM, paqart said:

I pretty much hated the movie. This is partly because it took everything I liked about the first Thor movie and turned it into a cheap joke. Waititi did the same thing in Ragnarok, but that story was coherent, interesting, and had great production design. Love and Thunder had none of those compensating qualities. From my perspective, the 4 Thor movies started great and then got progressively worse, like a comic book left out in the rain for a few years.

And then there are the gratuitous SJW moments. Enough already! Would someone please get out the scissors and cut out all of these unnecessary nods to SJW pet projects? And why are there orgy jokes in a movie aimed at kids? Do we really want our eight year-olds coming home asking us, "Why is Thor completely naked for a really long time, everyone faints, and what is this 'orgy' that Zeus kept talking about?"

I'm tired of the old, "surprise! the new Thor is a girl and she's stronger than the original Thor! And smarter, prettier, and nicer!" I'm not surprised any longer because it happens every single time. They even do it with original female characters. They are always better than the men around them. There are no exceptions to this. It is almost like a whole bunch of people in Hollywood have no idea how to evaluate performance of job duties (or superhero duties) without adding an automatic 200% handicap to all female contenders. Maybe they could try balancing it a bit where it isn't always the case but sometimes. That way, there might be a tiny bit of suspense. The way it is now, She-Hulk is (apparently) better than Hulk, Pepper Potts is better as Iron Heart than Tony Stark is as Iron Man, and She-Thor or Ms. Thor, or whatever, is better than Thor. Never mind Ms. Marvel vs. the real (Marvel version of) Captain Marvel, Shuri, whose technical genius is apparently greater than Tony Stark and Reed Richards combined, and at a younger age, etc.

Bleah. I'm sick of it. If not for my fast fading hope that this garbage will eventually cease to appear in these movies, I would have already given up on them, like I gave up on Pixar movies after Inside Out (which I liked a lot). With Marvel, I stopped buying DVDs after Ant-Man and the Wasp, and stopped going to the theater more recently, skipping Eternals and Love and Thunder. Instead I saw maybe 40 minutes of the Eternals on Disney + (in about 10 separate 4 minute sections because it was so awful), and Love and Thunder, which I saw entirely on Disney+. Before long, I'll be dropping that subscription also.

Hey, before we begin, understand that you replied to me knowing what myself and a few others think of you. 

Looking over many of the examples that you provide and once again, it shows you don't "get it" and are just looking to justify your already delusional belief system.  I have nothing but disdain, disrespect, and contempt for your feeble attempts of relevancy after the "article" you wrote about the CGC Boards was published on that fringe website celebrated and gathered about by a few sad and broken individuals. 

But, carry on.  In reference to the post above, some parts of the narrative clearly demonstrate flaws in cohesive writing and plot progression. To that end you are correct if that is what you are trying to convey.  However, there are other aspects that you consistently write about or allude to in many of your posts that seem to demonstrate a few of your deep rooted personality flaws laced with a healthy dose of a closeted inferiority complex.

I don't have as much time for this place lately as there are many other things going on, so if you are too blind to read the room when it comes to you and I, and care to respond, I will get to you when I get to you. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 9/11/2022 at 11:42 PM, Wall-Crawler said:

The whole bit with Zeus was probably one of the dumbest things I have seen in a super hero movie or any movie.

Agreed. Reminded me of the Santa Clause 3 movie with all the mythical characters - Jack Frost, Tooth Fairy, Sandman, Mother Nature.....

It is the end of the Marvel Super Hero movies as we know it....

On 9/13/2022 at 6:29 AM, paqart said:

Forgot about Wasp. Still, she was knocking Ant-Man around like he was a cat toy in boxing practice, was better at controlling the ants, clearly is more mature, and always knows more than he does about everything.

I agree, but for me this isn't nearly as bad as other films. It's plausible she has training in hand-to-hand combat since her parents were super-heroes, and she certainly should be better at controlling the ants than Scott at that point of the film. It isn't even hard to believe she's more mature given ger upbringing and losing her mother the way she did. 

But yes, she just seemed to be better in every other way as well. But hey, she liked that when Scott is in just the right light, his 6-pack (of 8oz sodas) looks nice. 

On 9/13/2022 at 6:29 AM, paqart said:

When a joke is made, it is at Scott Lang's expense, never Janet van Dyne.

Hope Pym.

Not good but not terrible either. I had fun watching it. My problem with the film was that there was just too much stuff. The film would have been lot better if instead of that Zeus and god planet thing Thor and his crew would just have gone somewhere and borrow/steal that lighting weapon and then in the end credits you would have seen pissed off Zeus and Hercules. Also with that extra time they should have added more Thor and Jane Foster scenes and a scene where Gorr fights Sif.