• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,906 posts in this topic

This lady is soooo annoying.

I'm priced out of collecting I reckon - these prices, especially for common books are insane. 

After seeing this result here, it makes me wonder if Halperin has the fingers on both of his hands working overtime on this book here:  :devil:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/superhero/daredevil-168-marvel-1981-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7266-95130.s

Modern Age (1980-Present):Superhero, Daredevil #168 (Marvel, 1981) CGC NM/MT 9.8 White pages....

To each their own, but why in the world would anybody in their right or wrong mind pay $13,200 for this book when there's already a total of 260 copies slabbed to date in this equivalent CGC highest grade.  Especially since this is a relatively common as dirt book in grade as it was pretty much hoarded by all of the collectors back in the day when it first came out. :screwy:

Any bets that there's going to be a ton of copies of this book being sent into CGC for grading after this result, which will go a long way to stuffing their coffers to overflowing.  Which reminds me that I really really do need to get around to fnding my copies so that I can send in at least a couple of them to get the fresh looking inks squished squashed right out of the pages before they get moved over to the next room for grading.  :wishluck:  :banana:  :whee:

On 1/14/2022 at 10:58 PM, lou_fine said:

To each their own, but why in the world would anybody in their right or wrong mind pay $13,200 for this book when there's already a total of 260 copies slabbed to date in this equivalent CGC highest grade.

Given that hammer price, I'm forecasting 260 9.8s will be graded next week alone.

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 1/15/2022 at 9:58 AM, lou_fine said:

After seeing this result here, it makes me wonder if Halperin has the fingers on both of his hands working overtime on this book here:  :devil:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/superhero/daredevil-168-marvel-1981-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7266-95130.s

Modern Age (1980-Present):Superhero, Daredevil #168 (Marvel, 1981) CGC NM/MT 9.8 White pages....

To each their own, but why in the world would anybody in their right or wrong mind pay $13,200 for this book when there's already a total of 260 copies slabbed to date in this equivalent CGC highest grade.  Especially since this is a relatively common as dirt book in grade as it was pretty much hoarded by all of the collectors back in the day when it first came out. :screwy:

Any bets that there's going to be a ton of copies of this book being sent into CGC for grading after this result, which will go a long way to stuffing their coffers to overflowing.  Which reminds me that I really really do need to get around to fnding my copies so that I can send in at least a couple of them to get the fresh looking inks squished squashed right out of the pages before they get moved over to the next room for grading.  :wishluck:  :banana:  :whee:

I saw that - then I just saw TOD #10 in 9.8 crash and burn........ a full $19,000 under last price ($48,000 down to $29,000) 

I'm guessing the 48K buyer is done with comics.

This was (is) one crazy auction.

On 1/14/2022 at 10:58 PM, lou_fine said:

To each their own, but why in the world would anybody in their right or wrong mind pay $13,200 for this book when there's already a total of 260 copies slabbed to date in this equivalent CGC highest grade. 

Elecktrafying

Edited by Flex Mentallo

On 1/14/2022 at 3:02 PM, Gotham Kid said:
On 1/14/2022 at 2:58 PM, lou_fine said:

Given that hammer price, I'm forecasting 260 9.8s will be graded next week alone.

More correctly, 260 copies will be sent in before the day is over with none of them being graded and slabbed until next year at the earliest by the time they make it through the CGC pressing and grading storage warehouse that is already bursting at the seams.  :censored:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Blackstone and CGC's business plan for 2022:  A little bit of well placed strategic bidding goes a long way to achieving your Corporate goals. hm  :devil:

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/14/2022 at 6:13 PM, lou_fine said:

More correctly, 260 copies will be sent in before the day is over with none of them being graded and slabbed until next year at the earliest by the time they make it through the CGC pressing and grading storage warehouse that is already bursting at the seams.  :censored:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Blackstone and CGC's business plan for 2022:  A little bit of well placed strategic bidding goes a long way to achieving your Corporate goals. hm  :devil:

I don't doubt it.

I remember when the Voldemort Magic Woo Suspense 3 sold for $100K right after Voldemort started slabbing books. I couldn't help but wonder whether that $100K came out of Voldemort's marketing budget.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 1/14/2022 at 3:35 PM, jimbo_7071 said:
On 1/14/2022 at 3:13 PM, lou_fine said:

A little bit of well placed strategic bidding goes a long way to achieving your Corporate goals. hm  :devil:

I don't doubt it.

I remember when the Voldemort Magic Woo Suspense 3 sold for $100K right after Voldemort started slabbing books. I couldn't help but wonder whether that $100K came out of Voldemort's marketing budget.

I very much highly doubt and virtually 100% positive this is NOT what took place with Magik's copy of Suspense Comics 3.  :gossip:

Especially since Magik's copy of Suspense 3 served as the frontispiece for Gerber's landmark PhotoJournal Guide and had long been recognized in the hobby place as a highly sought after book by a number of big dealers and deep pocketed collectors.  Especially since it had also been long recognized as the top condition copy out there since the existence of the Church copy did not come to light until almost a full 2 years after Magik's copy had already sold.  :cloud9:

According to Magik, even though he had paid 10X Mint condition guide for the book at the time, he had still received many very generous offers for the book over the years which he had always politely turned down.  So, I am quite sure the purchase of Magik's Suspense 3 did not come out from Voldemort's marketing budget and I am also quite sure whoever the lucky winner was is still ecstatic about their purchase to this day, especially in light of how strong the current market is for classic cover books. :applause:  :banana:

On 1/14/2022 at 2:02 PM, Professor K said:

Yes right, quite a few restored were sold the past few years. So was the last Blue Label Action 1 sold in public the 8.5 in 2018? 

On 1/14/2022 at 2:39 PM, Crowzilla said:

If by public you aren't counting the blue 3.0 that ComicConnect auctioned last month for $1.6 million (which was my basis for the comparison to the Tec27), or the resale of the 8.5 last April, then yes.

Ah haw haw haw, well alright. You have a better memory than me about this stuff. Were the most recent sales of a Blue label prior to the Space-Ship 6.0 :  a 3.0 on CC in Dec. 2021, a private sale of an 8.5 in early 2021, and the same 8.5 in auction on CC in 2018? Are they the past 3 sales of a Blue Label Action 1? Thanks.

On 1/14/2022 at 5:58 PM, lou_fine said:

I wonder how many of the fractional share companies are all piling in for these auctions, particularly on Heritage, just bidding on and buying up everything?  The 5.5 AF 15 realized a ridiculous price.  I'm still trying to figure out where all the money is coming from so this is simply another guess on my part.  Also, I'm wondering if the crypto money is still flowing in or are those guys trying to get out?  All highly confusing, and complete speculation on my part.

On 1/14/2022 at 5:58 PM, lou_fine said:

There's a copy on eBay right now for half that price. A steal!

On 1/15/2022 at 12:00 AM, tth2 said:
On 1/14/2022 at 3:35 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Of all the books to pick as evidence for your paranoid conspiracy delusions, that is the most bizarre choice.

Yes, I would tend to agree with Tim here and say that a Suspense 3 would be a very odd choice indeed. (thumbsu

Now, if it was a TMNT 1, that's a completely different story..........big huge demand from both within and outside the hobby coupled with a supposedly low supply, and yet high enough and available that if you was astute enough to have picked up several HG copies of this relatively recent book, it's quite possible to move the market significantly with a few strategic auction results.  hm

Definitely not saying this is what took place here by any stretch of the imagination, but interesting to note how CGC 9.8 graded copies jumped from the $30K's quagmire it was seemingly stuck at and right into the $50K to $70K price range after that big landmark public auction took place at $90K before this exact same copy resold at a substantially lower price in a private transaction a few months later, and now they've really jumped the shark all the way to a quarter of a million dollars.  And now, you got your CGC 9.6 graded copies about to crossed into 6-figures and even your CGC 9.2 graded copies touching onto $40K's, which needless to say, is an astounding return to all those hundreds of collectors lucky enough to be holding onto HG copies of this key CA book here.  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine