• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,077 posts in this topic

On 1/13/2022 at 11:54 AM, Chicago Boy said:

I don't think any OA has gone over 1 million before ?  An 80's page to boot !  Different generation buying this piece I would venture

That’s honestly what I thought. I don’t recall ever seeing anything sell for over a mil. Just pure insanity!

On 1/13/2022 at 11:57 AM, Chicago Boy said:

I was disappointed in the TEc 27 sale actually.  Besides the PQ. very nice looking book.  MC 1 is neck in neck with Bats 1.  Used to be a day when it was with Cap 1.  That More Fun Comics 76 went for 200k --3ok a point but the Super 1 ).5 for 100k wish was awesome !  Basically SUpes, Bats, and Spidey are KING.  MC 1 might be #5 now out of top 5

Yeah I mean I wouldn’t have been the least bit surprised had it went for more. Breaking a mil just ain’t special anymore, that’s for sure lol.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 1/13/2022 at 3:09 PM, szav said:

CDNP 24 joins the 100k club.

I was more surprised by the Amaz Ghost Stories selling for $25k.  Admittedly, it's getting harder to be surprised, with records falling left and right these days.

On 1/13/2022 at 2:59 PM, adamstrange said:

I was more surprised by the Amaz Ghost Stories selling for $25k.  Admittedly, it's getting harder to be surprised, with records falling left and right these days.

A killer CPR result for those who play that game.  Wasn’t that long ago we were wowed by the sale of that book for $7,200 in its 8.5 holder.

Edited by szav

On 1/13/2022 at 2:57 PM, Chicago Boy said:

I was disappointed in the TEc 27 sale actually.  Besides the PQ. very nice looking book.

Same.

After the $1.6 million sale of the 3.0 Action 1, how could a 4.5 Tec 27 not reach that same number?  I guess this will at least temporarily silence all the people who constantly claim that Tec27 is closing the gap on Action1

On 1/13/2022 at 4:02 PM, Crowzilla said:

Same.

After the $1.6 million sale of the 3.0 Action 1, how could a 4.5 Tec 27 not reach that same number?  I guess this will at least temporarily silence all the people who constantly claim that Tec27 is closing the gap on Action1

Can’t disregard PQ just because it’s a big book can we?  Tan pages, not just light tan.  It looked more like a 3.0/3.5 than a 4.5 to me anyway.

Grader Notes

HEAVY RUST TO BOTTOM staple
flexible pgs/no corner chiping whole book
light, multiple creases don'tbreak color along full left of spine
moderate staple recessed bottom of staple
small scuff top of back cover breaks color
small, multiple stain full right of whole book
staple detached bottom of spine

The “heavy rust” was already capitalized in the notes… I didn’t add that for emphasis.

Edited by szav

On 1/13/2022 at 6:14 PM, szav said:

Can’t disregard PQ just because it’s a big book can we?  Tan pages, not just light tan.  It looked more like a 3.0/3.5 than a 4.5 to me anyway.

Grader Notes

HEAVY RUST TO BOTTOM staple
flexible pgs/no corner chiping whole book
light, multiple creases don'tbreak color along full left of spine
moderate staple recessed bottom of staple
small scuff top of back cover breaks color
small, multiple stain full right of whole book
staple detached bottom of spine

The “heavy rust” was already capitalized in the notes… I didn’t add that for emphasis.

Action 1 was Cream, so I assume it was discounted also, right?

Plus it had some of the same grader's notes including: Left Bottom Back Cover Chews, Left Center Back Cover Piece Out,  Staple Multiple Rusted, Staple Multiple Tear, Top Spine Large Spine Split, and
Top Staple Cover Detached.

On 1/13/2022 at 4:32 PM, Crowzilla said:

Action 1 was Cream, so I assume it was discounted also, right?

Dunno, my impression is that many collectors, at least younger ones, draw the line at cream and won't go any worse than that.  You don't see straight up Tan pages often.  Lt tan and Tan would definitely get a bigger discount than cream I think.

Action 1 is still king anyway, not disagreeing there.  But this Tec was a kind of ugly 4.5 imo with those ckunks out at the staples, and I think that impacted price.  With how few buyers/bidders there are too for books like this you can't read too much into one data point.  Could have just been a matter of timing.

On 1/13/2022 at 8:16 PM, I am not Glenda said:

It's funny how we can all look at the same results and get a 100% different interpretation of them. I think both Action and Detective sold pretty much where a lot of us thought they would/should land or even a bit higher then expected. The June Tec 27 5.0 WP! sale made think there was a chance the book might come in a under a million & it ends up going over the 5.0 sale! The Secret Wars Zeck Page was just f#ckin insane and I don't care who bought it or how much money they have imho they got caught up in the " I gotta have it auction hype" & paid to much............................. but damn it was fun to watch.

My thoughts as well. The most recent 27 last June (5.0) kind of set a bar for what today's 4.5 would reach. Plus that 5.0 looked sooo nice. But the last Action 1 Blue was a few years ago. People in the financial situation to be able to buy today's book might have been thinking it's either now or who knows when they'll have another chance in that grade range. But yeah Action i is still king, we all know that I believe.

On 1/13/2022 at 5:22 PM, Primetime said:

The Marvel 1 in 4.5 at $80k a point was strong.  

What are you bringing me Sat Ben? I have buyers for some spiderman numbers 16 to 30 but I want something BIG Ben :baiting: I am not 100% sure I be there I want to be at my brother's house for the 1:30 Oakland game.

Edited by woowoo

On 1/13/2022 at 6:41 PM, szav said:

Dunno, my impression is that many collectors, at least younger ones, draw the line at cream and won't go any worse than that.  You don't see straight up Tan pages often.  Lt tan and Tan would definitely get a bigger discount than cream I think.

Action 1 is still king anyway, not disagreeing there.  But this Tec was a kind of ugly 4.5 imo with those ckunks out at the staples, and I think that impacted price.  With how few buyers/bidders there are too for books like this you can't read too much into one data point.  Could have just been a matter of timing.

I agree about  many drawing the limit at cream but to me the HEAVY RUST TO BOTTOM staple probably hurt it just as much, maybe more. 

On 1/13/2022 at 7:16 PM, I am not Glenda said:

It's funny how we can all look at the same results and get a 100% different interpretation of them. I think both Action and Detective sold pretty much where a lot of us thought they would/should land or even a bit higher then expected. The June Tec 27 5.0 WP ( good looking book)! sale made think there was a chance the book might come in a under a million ( it was not a good looking book imho and the page quality at this level has to be considered to have had some impact) & it ends up going over the 5.0 sale, it's just crazy times. The Secret Wars Zeck Page was just f#ckin insane and I don't care who bought it or how much money they have imho they got caught up in the " I gotta have it auction hype" & paid to much............................. but damn it was fun to watch.

When you putting up your TEc again on the Bay ??  C'mon you know you want to :)   !!!!!!

On 1/9/2022 at 11:52 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Since most of the books I'm interested in are about a week away from completion I decided to go through them all and review the grader notes for each in order to narrow down my spending.

This All-Star Comics #4 jumped out at me, which on the surface looked to be a great entry level copy for me to buy (I absolutely love this cover - my favourite of all Golden Age team covers. I have a very low grade copy that has a panel cut out, and I have dreamt of upgrading it) but now with these notes there is no way it won't be overpriced for what it really is!

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/all-star-comics-4-dc-1941-cgc-vg-40-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7266-97070.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

lf-8.thumb.jpeg.c20a3020d4a8f42e1ca08245c2d73dbe.jpeg

Nice, right? Label looks good, right? PLOT TWIST...incomplete, at best a 2.0/2.5 on a good day.

Grader Notes
centerfold missing
chews full top of cover
front cover detached
piece out left top of front cover

Lot has been withdrawn by heritage now - so looks like CGC did find an issue with it (hopefully it will be re-graded and listed in the future). When it was pulled the price was already around $1,100usd.

Edited by Sauce Dog

I found this Comic Link :: The Online Vintage Comic Book and Comic Art Auction and Exchange :baiting:RADC89FC20211230_1556.jpg

I will say that My copy I bought in 1981 from E. Gerber that I had restored in 1981 as a now PGX 4.5 E could be redone to a nicer copy and few grade points up. 

Edited by woowoo

On 1/14/2022 at 3:03 AM, goldust40 said:

The Mile Zeck page featuring Venom’s first appearance just went for $3.36 million. :whatthe:

Seriously, who is paying these prices?!

And who was the underbidder, who just dodged a freight train?

On 1/14/2022 at 3:08 AM, goldust40 said:

You wonder what the Hulk 181 cover would go for now. 

What would the Secret Wars 8 cover go for now?

What does the Hulk 180 1st Wolverine panel go for now?  Unless we're now in a world in which the 1st Venom is considered more valuable than the 1st Wolverine.

And what would the 1st real Spider-Man in costume page in AF 15 (which exists, but not for sale) now be worth? 

This changes all the benchmarks unless it's some kind of crazy one-off.