• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,854 posts in this topic

On 1/19/2022 at 2:03 AM, lou_fine said:

Never mind as it look like I got the answer to my above question right here:  :screwy:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324596257762?hash=item4b9371d3e2:g:ZrkAAOSwG8dgofbf

Image 1 - Famous Funnies Comics  #214 - Off-White to White pages - FRANK FRAZETTA

Love the high res quality of the photo here, especially since he's asking a piddly $105K for this copy of Famous Funnies 214 here.  :roflmao:

Don’t get me wrong; I wish this book were mine. But I’d put a fork in my eye before I’d pay $105k for it

If you sell something that was posted on eBay and then sell it offline, then take the listing down, eBay will investigate as to why you took it down, they can read eBay messages. So if you take the listing down and they find out someone wanted to buy it offline and you did, they issue warnings/strikes to both parties involved. Only way to prevent it is to leave the listing up but put an insane price on the item no one will ever pay. Don't be surprised if the FF 214 is already sold. 

On 1/16/2022 at 10:17 AM, sagii said:

This used to be highest graded, I paid what I thought may have been overpaying maybe two years ago on C'Link, but the results of the new highest graded only a half point higher yesterday on HA (getting almost 3x what i got this for) make me very happy I did pay what I did . 

Ship has sailed on #18 for me though, yesterday confirmed that lol, time to adjust the ol remaining want list. 

RADAD03520181112_16530.jpg

I bid on this book and walked away because the price just got insane. Someone was clearly after rare and esoteric GA books this auction and although books like this were never cheap, they were never this absurdly priced. Super cool cover and I love the Prize run up to issue 26. Every one hard to find and they've gotten even harder to own.

On 1/19/2022 at 4:33 PM, bodhee11 said:

I bid on this book and walked away because the price just got insane. Someone was clearly after rare and esoteric GA books this auction and although books like this were never cheap, they were never this absurdly priced. Super cool cover and I love the Prize run up to issue 26. Every one hard to find and they've gotten even harder to own.

Couldn't have said it better myself. 

On 1/19/2022 at 4:47 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Don’t get me wrong; I wish this book were mine. But I’d put a fork in my eye before I’d pay $105k for it

On 1/19/2022 at 7:01 AM, Kevin76 said:

Don't be surprised if the FF 214 is already sold. 

There's not a snowball's chance in hell that they would be able to sell the book at this price, as didn't we see the same listing back about a year ago?  Now, if they took one of the zero's out from the right hand side, they would stand a much better chance of selling this book.  (thumbsu

I guess I must be showing my age here, but I know exactly how Clark feels here as I would have felt like putting a fork in my eye before I'd pay this amount for the book, even if there had been two zero's taken out from the right hand side of this amount at the time.  :bigsmile:  :takeit:  

On 1/19/2022 at 3:03 AM, lou_fine said:

Never mind as it look like I got the answer to my above question right here:  :screwy:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324596257762?hash=item4b9371d3e2:g:ZrkAAOSwG8dgofbf

Image 1 - Famous Funnies Comics  #214 - Off-White to White pages - FRANK FRAZETTA

Love the high res quality of the photo here, especially since he's asking a piddly $105K for this copy of Famous Funnies 214 here.  :roflmao:

This is one of the best cover ever… however, I’d hate to be in the cockpit of this spaceship.  Alan Shepard had more leg room etc!

On 1/15/2022 at 3:37 PM, RareHighGrade said:

It appears New Adventures are enjoying a resurgence, with the mid-grade nos. 30 and 31 going for 4-5X Overstreet Guide.  @lou_fine, I know you've been waiting for this to finally happen.   

Yes, I've always loved the pre-hero DC books since that was my first foray into vintage collectible comic books when I decided to expand my collecting horizons beyond buying books off the shelves of the LCS's back in the latter part of the 80's.  Unfortunately, I was never able to get more than a very small handful of them because they were just so tough to find, and with my limited budget allocated for vintage comic books at the time, as most others probably also have done, shifted over to the regular GA which were a lot easier to acquire.  (thumbsu

From your post here, I assume you must be referring to both of these New Adventures which sold in the Heritage Auction last week:  :luhv:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, New Adventure Comics #30 (DC, 1938) CGC FN- 5.5 Off-white to white pages....

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, New Adventure Comics #31 (DC, 1938) CGC FN 6.0 Cream to off-white pages....

Yes, looks like both of these copies here sold at pretty strong prices of $4,800 and $4,560 respectively, although they both do present nicely relative to their assigned grades.  Very tough to beat these outstanding Flessel pre-hero covers and the reason why I just couldn't resist picking up a low-grade raw copy of the New Adventure 30 for about $500 when I came across one at a local comic con a few years ago, especially since I've always loved this partocular cover. :cloud9: :takeit:  :banana:

On 1/19/2022 at 9:28 PM, Aman619 said:

This is one of the best cover ever… however, I’d hate to be in the cockpit of this spaceship.  Alan Shepard had more leg room etc!

Not to mention some dude randomly dropping in on the back in outer space.  It's a beautiful image, but absolutely ridiculous in content.  

On 1/20/2022 at 11:49 AM, szav said:

There’s a weird charm to the absurdity now and its reflection of the general public’s lack of understanding off space related concepts back then …like zero gravity, absence of sound waves, extreme temperature swings in space right outside the earths atmosphere, etc.  Science fiction had a lot more fiction than science in it in the 50s for sure.

Any yet in 1931, sci fi pulps recognized the possibility of superluminal travel via warping of space.  Go figure!   Love the quirky/absurd sci fi stuff in comics.  

On 1/20/2022 at 10:36 AM, buttock said:

Not to mention some dude randomly dropping in on the back in outer space.  It's a beautiful image, but absolutely ridiculous in content.  

Haha. Yup.  I love how this guy is hanging on unsteadily. That’s a nice touch by Frazetta.  Like an outer space pirate!   Where’s Buck Rogers though?  Or was he not on every cover in the run?. 

On 1/20/2022 at 10:36 AM, buttock said:

The dude jumped from his spaceship that is just out of view.  The bigger question is why he has wind-blown hair.  In space.

On 1/21/2022 at 8:06 AM, tth2 said:

This discussion reminds me of a similar discussion years ago when some Boardies were complaining that they couldn't get into "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" because they found Wire Fu to be unrealistic.

Then they went back to their conversation as to whether Superman could pick up Mjolnir.

CTHD was the first movie of this type widely shown in the West.  There's a Chinese superhero tradition, but it's not labeled "superhero" so confuses people the first time they see such movies, even though they've been around for decades. 

On 1/21/2022 at 4:14 PM, adamstrange said:

CTHD was the first movie of this type widely shown in the West.  There's a Chinese superhero tradition, but it's not labeled "superhero" so confuses people the first time they see such movies, even though they've been around for decades. 

MV5BYjk5N2JhZDItYTQ1MS00YjQ2LWI1ZTQtZGNkODcwY2VmZGRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTM3MDMyMDQ@._V1_-1.jpg

Edited by Flex Mentallo