• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,891 posts in this topic

On 1/15/2022 at 5:05 AM, Vince G said:

I wonder how many of the fractional share companies are all piling in for these auctions, particularly on Heritage, just bidding on and buying up everything?  The 5.5 AF 15 realized a ridiculous price.  I'm still trying to figure out where all the money is coming from so this is simply another guess on my part.  Also, I'm wondering if the crypto money is still flowing in or are those guys trying to get out?  All highly confusing, and complete speculation on my part.

was crypto money flowing in at some point?  From almost everyone I know and follow in the crypto space, I've never seen anyone mention anything other than NFTs or the latest Bored Ape meme or equivalent.  Maybe they are cashing out of NFTs and getting into traditional collectibles such as comics, but again, no one I know or follow. They are obsessed with NFTs.

On 1/15/2022 at 4:46 PM, atomised said:

was crypto money flowing in at some point?  From almost everyone I know and follow in the crypto space, I've never seen anyone mention anything other than NFTs or the latest Bored Ape meme or equivalent.  Maybe they are cashing out of NFTs and getting into traditional collectibles such as comics, but again, no one I know or follow. They are obsessed with NFTs.

Yes, that was on another thread (I forget exactly where) a while back.  One or two mentioned using crypto profits to buy books.  I'm just wondering if we're now at the point where the fractional shares companies are the ones who are going after these books, and are driving the prices?  

Besides the TOD #10 losing $20K from last sale, The Shang-Chi fared just as badly.

I winced when someone paid over $20,000 for 1st Brother Voodoo in 9.8 - Strange Tales #169 - Great Cover, but a D lister if ever there was one. And it's $7,000 under the last sale :whatthe:

I get movie books, but the character has to have a solid foundation.

Blade has been and gone - anyone who thinks a new film will somehow make a solid, collectable book like TOD #10 be $20,000 more valuable after 3 great movies has poor judgement - sure enough , right back to its 'normal' price - 50% loss since September.  Plus there is a 9.9 out there.

Shang-Chi - did anyone care?  $18,000 down to $9600 - 50% loss again in 9.8 since December

Crazy times,as amongst the huge increases - are some frightening losses.

Buyer Beware!

On 1/15/2022 at 6:04 PM, szav said:

Is it just me or did all the big boys/new money go home today? or did some people become convinced there was no need to watch on Saturday?  I wouldn't say things were going cheap, and there was no shortage of strong prices, but there were also a lot of non-insane prices.  This one sure sticks out a few weeks after an 8.5 went for 38k...

Census indicates quite a few nice copies.  Might be we hit the saturation point on this issue, as cool as it is.

On 1/15/2022 at 6:04 PM, szav said:

Is it just me or did all the big boys/new money go home today? or did some people become convinced there was no need to watch on Saturday?  I wouldn't say things were going cheap, and there was no shortage of strong prices, but there were also a lot of non-insane prices.  This one sure sticks out a few weeks after an 8.5 went for 38k...

image.png.32a97f60a53fbb7afd67e666e0f8a333.png

image.png.25e8c52f5bc6c86be428797750258ee9.png

I was also surprised at how low it went. If I didn’t already have one…. The real outlier is probably the $38k sale.

I was wondering about the Batman #49, too.   I thought the 8.5 result was due in part to rumors that Mad Hatter might make his movie debut in the Pattinson flick, but then what happened here?  Sometimes it just depends on who shows up to auction. 

Any thoughts on the Batman #18 5.5 W which sold for $5040 today?  Good?  Strong?  Something else?    

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/batman-18-dc-1943-cgc-fn-55-white-pages/a/7266-97077.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

363807335_Screenshot(544).thumb.png.8098ddb486a3159d17f3d9e810437f82.png

On 1/15/2022 at 5:04 PM, szav said:

The underbidder on the 8.5 was lucky.

Edited by Ltpink2002

On 1/15/2022 at 12:57 PM, Timely said:

Is there anything you guys won’t say, make up or exaggerate about when it comes to the competition? It’s not the competition that looks bad, it’s you!

Hey West;

Don't sweat it as I believe Tim and I already put this rather far-fetched conspiracy theory about Magik's Suspense 3 sale to bed and stand ready to defend you.  (thumbsu

BTW:  I also don't think that you as the competition can hold a candle to some of the shall we say negative (but hopefully humorous from a constructive POV) chatter that some boardies here  :hi: put out about our rather tolerant hosts here and also about Heritage. :bigsmile:

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/14/2022 at 12:17 AM, tth2 said:
On 1/13/2022 at 9:10 PM, Aman619 said:

but yeah three point what for WHAT?  I zoomed in on the art… lousy especially the Prof X panel  even Venom is just average   But it is what it is, a totem for a new generation 

The quality of the art is and always has been irrelevant in the most valuable OA pieces.  It's all about comic book significance.

Well, if that's the case, then somebody in NYC must be absolutely ecstatic about this $3.3M+ sale for the Mike Zeck Venom interior page, especially since they have the absolutely gorgeous OA for the covers to both Spidey 129 and Wrightson's classic HOS 92 which I saw when I was there a couple of years ago.  :cloud9:  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/15/2022 at 3:04 PM, szav said:

On 1/15/2022 at 3:40 PM, ThothAmon said:

I was also surprised at how low it went. If I didn’t already have one…. The real outlier is probably the $38k sale.

Well, for the Bat 49 from my own personal POV, I simply just call it a return to sanity for a relatively common GA book.  (thumbsu

In addition, if the $38K sale was an outlier, then it certainly stood in good company as it probably simply rode in on the coattails of the CGC 9.6 graded Promise Collection copy of Bat 49 that had sold for an almost equally outrageous $132K just one day before the $38K sale.  hm

There was definitely no need to go above and beyond to pay those kinds of stratospheric prices :Rocket:for the book, especially with a total of 5 copies in the same CGC 9.6 grade as the Promise Collection copy, and also a total 11 copies in the same CGC 8.5 grade with another 11 higher graded copies (for a whopping total of 22 copies) as the one that sold for $38K+.  Especially when another CGC 9.6 graded copy had just sold for only $28,800 a year earlier and another CGC 8.5 graded copy had sold for only $10,800 a few months prior to the $38,400 sale.  (shrug)

With a book as seemingly common as Bat 49 and a book that seems to show up in every other major auction, sometimes it's just a case of biding your time and waiting for the right copy to come along at a much more reasonable price point before pulling the trigger.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/16/2022 at 7:29 AM, adamstrange said:
On 1/16/2022 at 7:04 AM, szav said:

Census indicates quite a few nice copies.  Might be we hit the saturation point on this issue, as cool as it is.

:wishluck:

On 1/16/2022 at 11:12 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, if that's the case, then somebody in NYC must be absolutely ecstatic about this $3.3M+ sale for the Mike Zeck Venom interior page, especially since they have theabsolutely gorgeous OA for the covers to both Spidey 129 and Wrightson's classic HOS 92 which I saw when I was there a couple of years ago.  :cloud9:  :applause:

Unfortunately, when you mention Punisher and Swamp Thing to a Millennial Crypto Kid on Meth, he just stares blankly.

On 1/15/2022 at 7:55 PM, tth2 said:

Unfortunately, when you mention Punisher and Swamp Thing to a Millennial Crypto Kid on Meth, he just stares blankly.

Yeah, you are 110% correct as who cares about that no-name Swampy and all washed up Punisher guy.  lol

Being the old fart that I am, I would definitely have gone for his stunning and super rare OA for the cover to Detective Comics 28.  :cloud9:   :takeit: