• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,947 posts in this topic

On 3/4/2022 at 3:15 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Sometimes sarcasm includes a grain of truth. 

But it hasn't been established that Heritage concocted the story. 

The story is still unverified, however.

Personally, I hope it's true. It is a good story.

Personally I hope its not - then it wouldn't just be good, it would be funny.

On 3/3/2022 at 10:47 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

I’m going to say $130K for the coverless Tec 27. I think it sells for close to $200K if it was a perfect/nice page coverless copy. This one is missing a small piece out of page 2-7, which slightly affects story. Think that will affect the potential sale, despite being complete.

I’m also super interested to see what this beautiful Tec 33 goes for.

8D8A09CF-A363-4F40-9388-A9852675C98C.jpeg

130 would be great.  150 would better.....

On 3/4/2022 at 12:20 PM, Mr. Lady Luck said:

They stuck a generic Spiderman head in the UPC code box and changed the box with the price and issue number into an awkward shaped diamond. Both look tacky... like they were afterthoughts... because they were... it's just ugly... :sick:

ugly?  Sure. Like most comics graphics. Created in-house by bullpen “designers”. 

but the assignment em was just to differentiate the two distribution copies. I think it worked fine. And depending on where you lived, you really only ever bought one or the other by shipping in candy stores and newsstands, or the ne exciting direct market Comicbook stores. 

I always thought newsstand was rarer in grade because convenience store owners din't give a care about spine nicks and blunted corners, they tossed them across the room, whereas the comic store worshipped and revered their copies, thus resulting in more hg.

On 3/4/2022 at 3:23 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, from all of their junk email message that I've been receiving every other day, it looks like the fastest way to get your books back is to send them through a private signing process as these books get sent to the front of the pressing and grading queue.  hm

:idea:  No need to worry about Economy or Walkthrough using this method.  Just pack up all my copies of GA books and and look for the cheapest no name creator to sign the books and you'll get them all back within a couple of monthswith one of those nice bright yellow labels, and all at a guaranteed price of only $50 for grading and an additional $20 for pressing.  lol  :takeit:

Hence, no longer any need to worry about some egregious uncapped 3% of current market value to get your book pressed and then another 3% to get them graded.  :censored:  

Seriously.  That’s all misdirection. Fact is valuable books zip through CGC and CCS pretty well, even with all the other stuff that comes in by the truckload. If they’re worth more, you pay more, but wait less. 

On 3/4/2022 at 6:06 PM, comicnoir said:

I always thought newsstand was rarer in grade because convenience store owners din't give a care about spine nicks and blunted corners, they tossed them across the room, whereas the comic store worshipped and revered their copies, thus resulting in more hg.

Others here can speak to the various reasons one or the other is now considered scarcer or scarcer in grade.  What I remember from the advent of Direct sales copies is that before then, all copies were newsstand. Then came a period where Direct sales was the scarcer new thing.  At a point after that, as many more stores preferred the advantages of nonreturnable copies, tables had turned. By the 90s, with one or more comic shops hear by, newsstand copies were scarcer as most comic collectors bought direct copies.  

For many years afterwards, we were all aware that newsstands were much scarcer, but so were collectors who cared!  I would guess now, there’s momentum toward seeking out the scarcer of the two copies especially for the biggest Copper key books:  direct sale for early issues and newsstand for later ones. It’s all part of the fun of collecting 

On 3/4/2022 at 11:11 AM, Mr. Lady Luck said:

I have always hated the direct sales editions because 1) they are different, and 2) they are ugly.

I don't collect modern books, but if I did, I would avoid direct sales editions completely.

And yes, I have OCD.

That huge, attractive UPC on newsstand editions really does it for you, huh? 🙄  This is the first time I’ve ever heard that from anyone.  When they put a diagonal line through the box to differentiate editions collectors and dealers at the time said nothing.  Nobody cared.  When Marvel started putting character heads in the box everyone was happy - because it wasn’t so ugly.  

On 3/4/2022 at 3:36 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

That white spine would really bother me - in 9.4 let alone this grade.

See I disagree there personally. I love these kinda of spines. Beautifully centered with the black line from top to the bottom, perfect edges. Yeah I have no problem with it. But to each there own of course. Doesn’t bother me at the least though in a 9.9.

On 3/5/2022 at 8:58 AM, LDarkseid1 said:
On 3/4/2022 at 7:36 PM, Flex Mentallo said:

That white spine would really bother me - in 9.4 let alone this grade.

See I disagree there personally. I love these kinda of spines. Beautifully centered with the black line from top to the bottom, perfect edges. Yeah I have no problem with it. But to each there own of course. Doesn’t bother me at the least though in a 9.9.

Life as a comic collector is certainly a lot easier if you like fat white stripes on the spine! 

On 3/4/2022 at 7:08 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

When did this trend of chasing newsstand editions start? I used to collect moderns back in the 80s—in fact, I had a copy of Thor #337—but I don't remember anyone back then expressing a preference for newsstand editions over direct market editions.

Well, didn't it start decades ago with Overstreet officially recognizing price variants in his guide and also pointing out the different logo variations for Newsstand and Direct, even though he stated that there were no differences in valuations for these variants at the time.  :gossip:

I think most collectors knew even back then that the differences in valuations would eventually also spread to Direct versus Newsstand, especially with these much more recent common books that collectors would look for some reason to satisfy their OCD need to determine that one would be harder to find and hence more desirable and valuable.  Needless to say, all of these current variant covers and reprint variations that they have in today's marketplace certainly made it obvious that collectors would also start to value Direct versus Newsstand based upon the perceived survivability rate for each version.  (thumbsu

On 3/4/2022 at 3:24 PM, Aman619 said:

What I remember from the advent of Direct sales copies is that before then, all copies were newsstand. Then came a period where Direct sales was the scarcer new thing.  At a point after that, as many more stores preferred the advantages of nonreturnable copies, tables had turned. By the 90s, with one or more comic shops hear by, newsstand copies were scarcer as most comic collectors bought direct copies.  

Now, this is it in a nutshell as it clearly shows that it is not just a simple case of one size fits all.  :applause:

It's really much more dependent upon the specific time period that you are talking about and possibly even the publisher.  (thumbsu

On 3/5/2022 at 10:54 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, didn't it start decades ago with Overstreet officially recognizing price variants in his guide and also pointing out the different logo variations for Newsstand and Direct, even though he stated that there were no differences in valuations for these variants at the time.  :gossip:

I think most collectors knew even back then that the differences in valuations would eventually also spread to Direct versus Newsstand, especially with these much more recent common books that collectors would look for some reason to satisfy their OCD need to determine that one would be harder to find and hence more desirable and valuable.  Needless to say, all of these current variant covers and reprint variations that they have in today's marketplace certainly made it obvious that collectors would also start to value Direct versus Newsstand based upon the perceived survivability rate for each version.  (thumbsu

It could be. I remember sorting through the books in the spinner racks until I found a copy of each book with no spine ticks; sometimes it was a challenge.

On 2/27/2022 at 10:08 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, I imagine it must have been the light multiple creases which knock the grade right back down all the way to a CGC 8.5 grade.  hm

I imagine CGC figured the submittor didn't pay his full dues yet because I can't see any creases from the scan no matter how much I blow it up. :devil:

And yet eye gouging rat chews and much larger and darker dust shadows on the Promise Collection books which can easily be seen with just the naked eye seemingly gets a free pass.  :censored:

Rat chew or "Bindery flaw"? Would I get a pass on this?

Ironic isn't it?   :roflmao:

muggsymouse.jpeg

On 3/4/2022 at 6:24 PM, Aman619 said:

Others here can speak to the various reasons one or the other is now considered scarcer or scarcer in grade.  What I remember from the advent of Direct sales copies is that before then, all copies were newsstand. Then came a period where Direct sales was the scarcer new thing.  At a point after that, as many more stores preferred the advantages of nonreturnable copies, tables had turned. By the 90s, with one or more comic shops hear by, newsstand copies were scarcer as most comic collectors bought direct copies.  

For many years afterwards, we were all aware that newsstands were much scarcer, but so were collectors who cared!  I would guess now, there’s momentum toward seeking out the scarcer of the two copies especially for the biggest Copper key books:  direct sale for early issues and newsstand for later ones. It’s all part of the fun of collecting 

Aman619:  this post has zero to do with your very informative post; it’s about the topic generally.

Sorry, but I’ve found this whole newsstand vs. direct sale thang to be yet another marketing scheme to create a distinction without any real difference simply to jack up prices.  

Ironically, in speaking to several store owners I know who sold “newsstand“ copies, the resounding message was that it was often more trouble than it was worth to do anything with unsold copies other than stack them up in a basement or sell them in bulk at a discount to kids like me who just wanted back issues no longer on the stand. Conversely, some direct sales store owners in my old neighborhood would tell you the reason they were very often sold out on any number of books was that they would order very conservatively, as unsold copies posed financial risk.