• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,226 posts in this topic

On 3/18/2022 at 3:49 PM, LearnedHand said:

Aman619:  this post has zero to do with your very informative post; it’s about the topic generally.

Sorry, but I’ve found this whole newsstand vs. direct sale thang to be yet another marketing scheme to create a distinction without any real difference simply to jack up prices.  

Ironically, in speaking to several store owners I know who sold “newsstand“ copies, the resounding message was that it was often more trouble than it was worth to do anything with unsold copies other than stack them up in a basement or sell them in bulk at a discount to kids like me who just wanted back issues no longer on the stand. Conversely, some direct sales store owners in my old neighborhood would tell you the reason they were very often sold out on any number of books was that they would order very conservatively, as unsold copies posed financial risk.  

I find the new interest in newsstand copies just another indication of where ew collector's heads are at.  If they are collecting modern books, its a given to need to buy 9.8s.  So presented with a scarcer subset of 9.8s, its natural for a collector to seek out the scarcer versions.  To me this is similar to us decades ago seeking out the scarcer high grade copies...Fines and VGs, or  just any copy was easy. So seems they are doing it for the same basic reasoning: scarcer may ensure higher values.

and you point out a forgotten aspect of direct sales being nn returnable and caused store owners to buy conservatively.  Then again, in the heyday, Im not sure they didn't really see the advantage the other way, that owning them outright at 50% off would be a gold mine in the long run!  Only later did they worry about cash flow and over PRE-ordering too many copies of future "hot" books after struggling to sell them and facing  reduced demand for last months hot books! etc etc. before the true glut arrived in the 90s.

On 3/4/2022 at 6:24 PM, Aman619 said:

Others here can speak to the various reasons one or the other is now considered scarcer or scarcer in grade.  What I remember from the advent of Direct sales copies is that before then, all copies were newsstand. Then came a period where Direct sales was the scarcer new thing.  At a point after that, as many more stores preferred the advantages of nonreturnable copies, tables had turned. By the 90s, with one or more comic shops hear by, newsstand copies were scarcer as most comic collectors bought direct copies. 

Lou Bank, who originally worked for Glennwood and then directly for Carol Kalish stated: "When I started in 1987, the Direct Market was 25% of Marvel's comic sales; the newsstand 75%. When I left in 1992, those numbers were exactly reversed."

That’s a great data point about the sales flow and the actual dates to use as markers.  To those of us who lived through it, we experience the switchover, but it happened in real time and we were all localized without an insiders actual data.  Though I’m sure the data was available in the trade pubs etc.  

On 3/22/2022 at 3:12 AM, lou_fine said:

Besides the big boys like Cap 1, Bat 1, and the likes, it's also certainly nice to see less popular books like this Porky Pig here go for big dollars:  (thumbsu

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/four-color-48-porky-pig-dell-1944-cgc-nm-92-off-white-pages/a/122212-15413.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Cartoon Character, Four Color #48 Porky Pig (Dell, 1944) CGC NM- 9.2 Off-white pages....

Especially when they are in out of favor genres like funny animals, so good to see this copy here being able to hit 5-figures with a price of $10,800 in this past weekend's Heritage Sunday auction.  :whatthe:  :applause:

It only sold for that price because it's a single-highest-graded Four-Color, so the price doesn't mean anything with respect to the value of funny animal books in general or even other copies of this issue.

Are you still collecting. Lou? I noticed that I never see you post any recent purchases.

On 3/22/2022 at 3:12 AM, lou_fine said:

Besides the big boys like Cap 1, Bat 1, and the likes, it's also certainly nice to see less popular books like this Porky Pig here go for big dollars:  (thumbsu

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/four-color-48-porky-pig-dell-1944-cgc-nm-92-off-white-pages/a/122212-15413.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Cartoon Character, Four Color #48 Porky Pig (Dell, 1944) CGC NM- 9.2 Off-white pages....

Especially when they are in out of favor genres like funny animals, so good to see this copy here being able to hit 5-figures with a price of $10,800 in this past weekend's Heritage Sunday auction.  :whatthe:  :applause:

:golfclap:Atta boy Porky ! 

On 3/22/2022 at 2:00 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

It only sold for that price because it's a single-highest-graded Four-Color, so the price doesn't mean anything with respect to the value of funny animal books in general or even other copies of this issue.

Nah...........with the current mounting crisis in terms of the supply chain issues, it's really all about that delicious and rather appetizing looking little porker himself. lol

On 3/22/2022 at 2:00 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Are you still collecting. Lou? I noticed that I never see you post any recent purchases.

Yes, but definitely less so than the old days as my preference is more towards HTF books at reasonable prices which seldom comes around nowadays. :(

Although I did pick up a raw copy of More Fun 127 (probably in the G/VG range or thereabouts) at a local con a couple weekends ago.  Figured it was a reasonable price at the equivalent of $110 USD or something like 1.5X condition guide for the scarcer HTF last issue of More Fun, with a total of still only 4 copies graded and slabbed to date so far.  So, I guess it's either rare or possibly a book that most collectors don't figure it's even worth the cost of grading.  :luhv:  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/22/2022 at 1:06 PM, lou_fine said:

the scarcer HTF last issue of More Fun, with a total of still only 4 copies graded and slabbed to date so far.  

MF 122 and 123 each have only two CGC graded copies, despite having in-demand Howie Post covers.

Lou, we would love to see some of the HTF books you picked up in the old days.  :wishluck:

On 3/22/2022 at 3:14 PM, RareHighGrade said:

Lou, we would love to see some of the HTF books you picked up in the old days.  :wishluck:

Sadly for me at least, arrived too late and left way too early after the big GA rush in the mid-90's when I thought books had already pretty much gone past my budget by that point in time. :(  

Hence, didn't really get too many truly HTF books in the old days except for a few early pre-hero DC books when I first started before I made the typical move into much more common DC and other mundane GA super hero books. 

Needless to say, nowhere even close to some of the truly HTF books (eg. New Adventure 26, 27, etc. :luhv:) which you and some of the other boardies have been posting here, but at least I get to enjoy them through various posts from other boardies here.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/22/2022 at 7:35 PM, lou_fine said:

Sadly for me at least, arrived too late and left way too early after the big GA rush in the mid-90's when I thought books had already pretty much gone past my budget by that point in time. :(  

Hence, didn't really get too many truly HTF books in the old days except for a few early pre-hero DC books when I first started before I made the typical move into much more common DC and other mundane GA super hero books. 

Needless to say, nowhere even close to some of the truly HTF books (eg. New Adventure 26, 27, etc. :luhv:) which you and some of the other boardies have been posting here, but at least I get to enjoy them through various posts from ther boardies here.  (thumbsu

@lou_fine Hey you can still afford a Nova 1 in 3.5 :bigsmile: You just have to wake up New Adventure 26 or 27 go back to sleep man :makepoint:

Edited by woowoo

On 3/22/2022 at 7:48 PM, woowoo said:

@lou_fine Hey you can still afford a Nova 1 in 3.5 :bigsmile:

No thanks as I already have 2 copies of that book which I had cherry picked off the shelves of the LCS back in the day, which is probably 2 copies too many considering how common that book is in grade.  :p

Then again, I just might have to take you up on your offer considering that a Werewolf by Night 32 sold for something ridiculous like $70,500 on CC last week:  :whatthe:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/947977

wer1.1345.jpg

What's even more crazy is that their auction listing description stated that a copy in equivalent grade had recently sold for an even more ridiculous $80K.  :screwy:

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/23/2022 at 7:07 AM, lou_fine said:

Was that $70,499 higher than your max bid for the book?  lol

No actually I went wild this time a bid a whopping $5 on the book. I really thought I'd win it. ???

Those filthy snipers again. :frustrated:

Edited by Gotham Kid