• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
32 32

8,328 posts in this topic

Since this CGC 3.0 graded copy of Famous Funnies 213 with the cassic Frazetta cover managed to fetched $3,600 in last night's HA Auction:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/science-fiction/famous-funnies-213-eastern-color-1954-cgc-vg-35-off-white-pages/a/122311-13334.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ThisAuction-120115#

Golden Age (1938-1955):Science Fiction, Famous Funnies #213 (Eastern Color, 1954) CGC VG- 3.5 Off-white pages....

It makes me wonder what this slightly lower graded copy will fetch in CC's Event Auction this coming Wednersday:  :popcorn:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/989018

fam1.1447.jpg

Especially since it's been stuck at this same current hammer bid of only $2,150 for more than 2 weeks, but I imagine the fat lady hasn't even entered the building yet on many of these CC Event Auction lots from what I am seeing here.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap: 

On 3/13/2023 at 2:59 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

To me, an autographed book is a defaced book. I'd love to have a copy sans autograph, however.

Yeah I mean there’s 102 blue label copies out there and just 4 signature series. So they’re pretty rare. I’d be more than happy to own one of Frazetta’s books signed by the master himself. Especially when these guys are dead. Thunda 1’s are rare I’m sure, but you’ll always come across them at some point. You won’t come across a signed copy though, seemingly very often. As far as your feelings to signed items I totally get it and to each their own. It did always interest me though. I mean pieces of art when completed are a lot of times signed by their creators. I’m sure a lot of classically great works are signed, Davinci, Monet, Chagall, etc… and I’ve never heard anyone in the art world take issue with that. Despite comics not being original art and simply printed paper, they’re still art, and yet many like you despise a signature on it. I suspect the difference may be to a degree is the intent behind signatures and that people get them to profit off it, whereas it was once again a  normal practice with art and has always been. I don’t know if his signature is on it, but even if it was, I personally never looked at Starry Night and thought, damn that Van Gogh signature defaces that painting lol. For comics, as long as it isn’t obtrusive to the art I don’t mind. But once again not faulting you. I certainly don’t pursue signed books lol.

On 3/13/2023 at 8:46 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

So they’re pretty rare. I’d be more than happy to own one of Frazetta’s books signed by the master himself. Especially when these guys are dead.

It looks like you would be correct here as even this usually lower demand Frazetta Famous Funnies book relative to some of the other higher demand Frazetta FF issues was able to garner a rather astounding price of $19,800, most likely due to the fact that he had signed the front cover:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/famous-funnies-211-signature-series-frank-frazetta-eastern-color-1954-cgc-vf-nm-90-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7266-95049.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F5%2F2%2F4%2F8%2F25248832%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

On 3/13/2023 at 10:34 AM, lou_fine said:

It looks like you would be correct here as even this usually lower demand Frazetta Famous Funnies book relative to some of the other higher demand Frazetta FF issues was able to garner a rather astounding price of $19,800, most likely due to the fact that he had signed the front cover:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/famous-funnies-211-signature-series-frank-frazetta-eastern-color-1954-cgc-vf-nm-90-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7266-95049.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F5%2F2%2F4%2F8%2F25248832%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

The placement of Frazetta’s signature is about as perfect as it can get.

On 3/13/2023 at 12:14 PM, batman_fan said:

And the classic Frazetta stylized writing of his signature is also almost as perfect as it can get.  :applause:  :luhv:

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/13/2023 at 3:58 PM, lou_fine said:

And the classic Frazetta stylized writing of his signature is also almost as perfect as it can get.  :applause:  :luhv:

It’s a great cover and the signature is purdy but not for a near $15,000 premium over the last 9.0 they sold in 2021. 

On 3/13/2023 at 2:24 PM, ThothAmon said:

It’s a great cover and the signature is purdy but not for a near $15,000 premium over the last 9.0 they sold in 2021. 

Cost for comic - $3,000

Cost for signature on the comic - $15,000

The thrill of bragging to you friend who has never heard of Frazetta that you have a Frazetta autograph - priceless

On 3/13/2023 at 12:58 PM, lou_fine said:

You know looking at Frazetta's sig, I have to say it seems somewhat similar to Todd McFarlane. You think Todd would get mad at me if I took him a Famous Funnies 211 and asked him to sign it Frazetta? xD

No doubt it, and I have to say if you're going to buy a signed book definitely get good placement! I remember years ago this AF15 CGC 6.0 signed by Stan that sat on Ebay FORVEVER!!! Was priced to sell as I recall. His signature was over Spidey's face and in that case, really took away from the cover lol.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 3/13/2023 at 1:54 PM, batman_fan said:

Cost for comic - $3,000

Cost for signature on the comic - $15,000

The thrill of bragging to you friend who has never heard of Frazetta that you have a Frazetta autograph - priceless

Similar vibes when someone pays say $15k for a direct edition copy of ASM 300 vs $4k for a newsstand copy. The thrill of owning a "rare" modern book with a stupid barcode over Spidey's face - priceless

On 3/13/2023 at 3:07 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

No doubt it, and I have to say if you're going to buy a signed book definitely get good placement! I remember years ago this AF15 CGC 6.0 signed by Stan that sat on Ebay FORVEVER!!! Was priced to sell as I recall. His signature was over Spidey's face and in that case, really took away from the cover lol.

Stan Lee should never have been given a pen or marker

On 3/13/2023 at 2:07 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Or that cockroach or I meant spider he drew with marker on the cover of an ASM #129 - priceless!

On 3/13/2023 at 2:07 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

No doubt it, and I have to say if you're going to buy a signed book definitely get good placement!

Wasn't there a picture of a fugly signed copy of Hulk 181 with so many large scrawled signatures on the front cover that it looked a lot more like a veritable shopping list had been written on the cover?  :facepalm:  :p

Either that or there was a ton of color touch they was trying to cover up by not missing a single spot.  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/13/2023 at 2:27 PM, lou_fine said:

Wasn't there a picture of a fugly signed copy of Hulk 181 with so many large scrawled signatures on the front cover that it looked a lot more like a veritable shopping list had been written on the cover?  :facepalm:  :p

Either that or there was a ton of color touch they was trying to cover up by not missing a single spot.  lol

I think I know the one you’re talking about. On top of the usual suspects, Stan, Thomas, Wein, Trimpe, etc… I think it also had Claremont, Rubinstein and Hugh Jackman lol

I don't mind signatures if they're actually rare/from an artist I loved.  Nowadays, creators are churning out signatures so fast, it devalues it to me.  Was it Todd McFarlane that said something like the comics without his signature are rarer than the ones with?  lol.

But for your enjoyment - CGC Certifies an Amazing Spider-Man #700 with 99 Signatures — the Most Ever Recorded

ASM700_99sigs_OBV20221121153135979.png

Edited by Telegan

On 3/13/2023 at 3:58 PM, Telegan said:

I don't mind signatures if they're actually rare/from an artist I loved.  Nowadays, creators are churning out signatures so fast, it devalues it to me.  Was it Todd McFarlane that said something like the comics without his signature are rarer than the ones with?  lol.

But for your enjoyment - CGC Certifies an Amazing Spider-Man #700 with 99 Signatures — the Most Ever Recorded

Holy moly! :whatthe:  I wonder how much that person spent to get all those autographs!!!  

On 3/13/2023 at 6:58 PM, Telegan said:

Damn. It's like the NYC subway of the late '70s in convenient slab form!