• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,854 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, mstrange said:

Did the pressing cause the fading in the color or is that just the scanner setting?

Most likely just differences in scanners.

On 4/6/2021 at 1:36 PM, lou_fine said:

:idea:   Hmmmmm..................maybe I need to set me self up a GoFund Me page to front this 5 bucks that it's going to take to access the Graders' Notes just to satisfy my own curiosity here now.  :bigsmile:

Ok, since I just HAD to satisfy my curiosity here, I decided to Mannup and forked over the 5 bucks only to find out that the cost was $10.  :mad:  :censored:

On 4/6/2021 at 1:36 PM, lou_fine said:

If I was placing a bet here since this is a Dell File Copy, my bet would be that any defects would most probably be limited to the exterior covers, as opposed to the interiors of the book.

Looks like my initial thinking that any defects as posted above would be limited to the exterior covers were correct in the end, as the only 2 comments in the Graders' Notes were as follows:

Front Cover Writing

Top Back Cover Lite Shadow

Since those Graders' Notes were for the CGC 9.0 graded copy, as I couldn't access any for the CGC 9.6 graded copy since it's now in a CGC 9.8 slab, the only part I found a bit confusing is that those 2 same noted defects that supposedly took it all the way down to only a 9.0 grade are still clearly just as evident on the 9.6 graded copy here as before on the 9.0 graded copy:  :facepalm:   :screwy:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Western, Crackajack Funnies #9 File Copy (Dell, 1939) CGC NM+ 9.6 Off-white to white pages....

lf?set=path%5B1%2F5%2F9%2F5%2F8%2F15958039%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Definitely another part of this whole grading game that I don't really care for is the inconsistency in grading at times, changes to their undisclosed grading standards, and the handling of their submission process for some of their customers.  Although I do understand the rationale for it from a corporate business point of view, it definitely doesn't mean that I have to like it.  :p   

Now, if I was a betting man, my bet is that those 2 noted above defects that took the grade all the way down to a CGC 9.0 is most likely still just as evident on the book even though it is now residing in a CGC 9.8 slab.  :devil:  (:

Also don't really care for their rather inconsistent application of how they handle tell tale signature markings that's associated with certain pedigrees or file copies as evident here.  Athough long time collectors like me always prefer to have the pedigree codes, markings, or names on their books for sentimental collecting purposes, I can understand why some collectors will try to erase these markings since CGC will seemingly at times view these as writing defects :screwy: and hammer them accordingly when it comes to the determination of the final grade.  :frustrated:  :censored:

Edited by lou_fine

This appears to be the case of a 9.4 book initially being undergraded and thereafter being overgraded (the damaged upper left corner should keep it from being graded higher than 9.4).  The only encouraging aspect of this evolution is that it doesn't appear the book was damaged along the way by being pressed.  The spine of the book in the 9.6 case looks as plump as it was in the original 9.0 case.  Even though the grade inconsistency is puzzling, at least the book wasn't damaged during its climb up the CGC ladder, as sadly occurred to other books discussed in this thread.

the CGC graders notes were never meant to be a resource where CGC notated every book's flaws or condition.  They took time to write, and some graders were into it, while others weren't.  And as CGC has stated, the only reason they were created and kept initially was for the other graders.  They didnt want them to waste time and the notes allowed the followup graders to examine the areas mentioned in the notes by the previous grader.  Thats why they are hit and miss. Now they are a lot easier to add to the grading process... and appear to be some kind of pull down menu since the wording is identical for each defect.

what Im saying is that overall, the presence of a grading note does not signify the importance of the note for any given books condition, nor does the absence of any note (or mentions of visible defects) infer their lack of importance to the grade of the book. Especially the longer ago the slabbing took place.

19 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

This appears to be the case of a 9.4 book initially being undergraded and thereafter being overgraded (the damaged upper left corner should keep it from being graded higher than 9.4).

Yes, I am actually rather surprised they didn't note the upper left hand corner bump since that would be a much bigger defect as opposed to the "File Copy" writing notation and that very light and small shadow line on the back cover.  Makes me wonder if the CGC graders also consider the Mile High codes on the Church books or the more obtrusive "Larson" name written on the Larson pedigree books as defects to be taken into account in the determination of the final grade.  If so, this would definitely be a grade killer when it comes to the Okajima Camp copies or the pencilled in check marks done throughout the Cosmic Areoplane books.  I always though of these tell tale signature markings associated with a pedigree book to be a positive, but I guess the graders see them as a negative when it comes to the determination of the final grade.  :screwy:  :censored:

I guess the only exception they probably make for writing on the comic books would then be their own Verified Signature books since I assume they would be getting a cut of the money there. :devil:  Can't remember here, but if it's unverified and they didn't get their share, are signatures considered to be a defect or do they go into those Green Qualified slabs?  :p  (:

19 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

The spine of the book in the 9.6 case looks as plump as it was in the original 9.0 case.  Even though the grade inconsistency is puzzling, at least the book wasn't damaged during its climb up the CGC ladder, as sadly occurred to other books discussed in this thread.

You are 110% right when you talk about the seeming plumpness of this book here.  I have over a dozen of these Dell File Copies from the late 30's / early 40's and besides the fact that they look like they just came off the printing press is the actual "feel" of these books.  They are definitely plump and feel like they were probably stored in filing cabinets , as opposed to being flattened in big warehouse piles like the much later Harvey File Copies.  Definite keepers in my personal collection and they sure do look nice in their glossy mylar holders.  :cloud9:

As for its climb up the CGC grading ladder, is it possible that the bump from 9.0 up to 9.6 was a straight resub, especially since that upper left hand ding is still on the CGC 9.6 copy.  If so, as you had alluded to nothing more than being undergraded as a CGC 9.0 and then being overgraded as a CGC 9.6. :facepalm:  If any pressing was done for the 9.6 upgrade, probably most likely done by Matt from the time frames that we are looking at here and another press might have gotten rid of that ding enough to bum it up to CGC 9.8.  hm  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

17 hours ago, Aman619 said:

the CGC graders notes were never meant to be a resource where CGC notated every book's flaws or condition.

Well, I would certainly hope that they would at least list the biggest defects which would be affecting the grade of the book, like that top left hand corner bump that RHG had mentioned in his post.  From all of the Graders' Notes which I have purchased before in the past, they seem to clearly identify the type , extent, and location of the defects in quesion on a book.  (thumbsu

17 hours ago, Aman619 said:

what Im saying is that overall, the presence of a grading note does not signify the importance of the note for any given books condition, nor does the absence of any note (or mentions of visible defects) infer their lack of importance to the grade of the book. Especially the longer ago the slabbing took place.

If this was the case, then we most definitely should not have to pay to get access to these notes here if they do not provide us with the necessary information on a book's condition.  Maybe this is our rationale to convince them to provide the notes for free to us.  hm  lol

Latest round is closing up soon (live auction just started, but all the books I wanted were right at the start for once). Looked like the Sandman cover lovers showed up, as I was expecting low grade Adventure Comics to go for a little less. I'm happy they are getting their due (especially #60, which I already own a nice 3.5 restored copy), but it unfortunately meant I could only afford to buy one right now (edit: nope - seems it didn't win the auction even though I was clicking the bid button to raise it until the end. Very odd - guess I lost out)

1289513492_ScreenShot2021-04-18at7_14_39PM.thumb.png.309cc7eba45bc48d1957a56e582c8fc6.png

Edited by Sauce Dog

Was watching part of the HA Sunday Auction earlier this evening and it's nice to see that there's still some love for the Seven Seas books:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/seven-seas-comics-6-leader-1947-cgc-fn-65-off-white-pages/a/122117-17521.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

lf?set=path%5B2%2F3%2F8%2F3%2F5%2F23835144%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Have always loved this cover here and sadly, the only one now missing from my Seven Seas run and looks like I won't be getting a copy any time soon as this nicely presenting mid-grade copy sold for $5,040.  :applause:

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Was watching part of the HA Sunday Auction earlier this evening and it's nice to see that there's still some love for the Seven Seas books:  :luhv:

Have always loved this cover here and sadly, the only one now missing from my Seven Seas run and looks like I won't be getting a copy any time soon as this nicely presenting mid-grade copy sold for $5,040.  :applause:

With the 4 climbing out of the price range of most, it's time to focus on the next best cover

8 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

With the 4 climbing out of the price range of most, it's time to focus on the next best cover

I actually started my Seven Seas run with the sole purpose of acquiring SS 6 because green has always been one of my favorite cover colors and I also loved the color variations in the water here.  :luhv:

So, guess what..............the first one out of the run I end up with is Seven Seas 4 way back in the cheapo days when the dealer told me that although he didn't have a Seven Seas 6 at the time, he did have this nice copy of Seven Seas 4 and I ended up begrudgenly taking it in the end instead.  :facepalm:  :whee:  :banana:

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

A couple mid grade books to offset all those 9.8s from the Promise collection

24081086%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

24076017%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

On the Berk action 1 how much decrease in value do think that staple replacement will cost the seller?

15 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

On the Berk action 1 how much decrease in value do think that staple replacement will cost the seller?

I’m always curious in these staple replacement situations, what kind of staples get put in their place? Do you think they’re like staples from the general time frame, or could they be Action 1 staples the restorer had laying around? Or just some kind of newer staple?

17 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I’m always curious in these staple replacement situations, what kind of staples get put in their place? Do you think they’re like staples from the general time frame, or could they be Action 1 staples the restorer had laying around? Or just some kind of newer staple?

I wonder if the CGC clue the future or buyer on that fact...new or replacment..good point

5 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

I wonder if the CGC clue the future or buyer on that fact...new or replacment..good point

I’d think that might be a good thing to add in the grader notes and could potentially affect a sale. I’d think if you told me you replaced the staples from another Action 1, would command a premium over I mean anything else haha.

Edited by LDarkseid1

10 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

I put staples into an Action # 2 from an early fifties Black Magic.

It wasn't noted on the label, but there was plenty of resto to the book anyways.

20 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I’d think that might be a good thing to add in the grader notes and could potentially affect a sale. I’d think if you told me you replaced the staples from another Action 1, would command a premium over I mean anything else haha.

There needs to be a difference between brand new staples and replacement similar from the time period. Given this issue could cost Action #1 100's of thousand of dollars in an auction return or private sale..this item needs to on top of the CGC to do list.