• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,854 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Timely said:

A friend of mine owns the Edgar Church/Mile High Copy of Detective Comics #140. It has not been graded. I’m sure it’s either NM or NM+ on the original MH list.

Is he leaning your way in terms of his mind frame that this Promise Copy of 'Tec 140 is not good for his Church copy in terms of its potential placing within the CGC Census Population Report?  >:(

Or is he leaning towards my way of thinking that he's waiting with great anticipation to see the result of this auction for the Promise Copy in expectation that it will set a new high water mark in terms of pricing and actually be good for his Church copy?  Especially in the sense of a rising tide lifting all boats, including his Church copy of 'Tec 140, regardless of where it lands in the CGC census. :popcorn: :banana:

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Is he leaning your way in terms of his mind frame that this Promise Copy of 'Tec 140 is not good for his Church copy in terms of its potential placing within the CGC Census Population Report?  >:(

Or is he leaning towards my way of thinking that he's waiting with great anticipation to see the result of this auction for the Promise Copy in expectation that it will set a new high water mark in terms of pricing and actually be good for his Church copy?  Especially in the sense of a rising tide lifting all boats, including his Church copy of 'Tec 140, regardless of where it lands in the CGC census. :popcorn: :banana:

If his copy is a 9.8, it won’t matter.

If his copy is a 9.6 he would be tied with the Promise Copy,  slight affect on value. 

If his copy is a 9.4 he’s in the dog house! Probably lost $50k in value!

2 hours ago, Timely said:

If his copy is a 9.6 he would be tied with the Promise Copy,  slight affect on value. 

It's not like you wouldn't be a good judge of what the CGC grade would be :baiting:

Well, your response about the potential impact of the CGC 9.6 graded copy of the Promise Collection copy of 'Tec 140 on the still raw Church copy of 'Tec 140 is definitely interesting and food for thought, so let's munch into it for a bit here:  :popcorn:  lol

3 hours ago, Timely said:

My thinking is that if the CGC 9.6 Promise copy of 'Tec 140 ends up selling for say $250K which some of the boardies are saying here, then wouldn't that mean if the Church copy comes out as a CGC 9.8 graded copy, it might end up selling for something like $325K or possibly even more.  Now, if there was no Promise copy of 'Tec 140 and the Church copy came out as a CGC 9.8, do you really believe it would simply have gone straight up to this same $325K or more price point without first having the Promise copy to lead it higher up to that price point by establishing a new standard baseline?  hm

If the Church copy of 'Tec 140 was a CGC 9.6 graded copy and there was no Promise copy out there, in theory the Church copy would have sold for what it always would have anyways.  So, no real impact on value from my POV  if the Promise copy did not exist.  (thumbsu

Alas, this one I am not sure about since I sadly don't deal in these nosebleed types of books from a valuation point of view.  Now, if there was no CGC 9.6 Promise Collection copy and there were only the original 3 census topping CGC 9.4 graded copies as per the population report, how much do you think the Church copy of 'Tec 140 would go for if it came out graded as a CGC 9.4 and now with 4 census topping 9.4 copies out there?  Now, how much would this same CGC 9.4 graded Church copy sell for if the CGC 9.6 Promise Collection copy does in fact end up selling for $250K and is this amount really $50K less for the Church copy than the first scenario where there was no Promise copy?  (shrug)

Bottom-line:   At least from my personal point of view is that I feel this now highest graded Promise Collection copy of 'Tec 140 will be setting a new standard baseline for all other HG (if not all the way down the entire condition spectrum) 'Tec 140 copies which will ift up their valuations, including the raw HG copies out there like your friend's raw Church copy going forward.  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

if the Church copy is ONLY a 9.4, and ends up below the Promise copy, the owner will STILL be way ahead of the 90 bucks he's into it for (or a grand, whatever)  And chances are he owns lots more Church "highest graded" copies" that he has been sitting on, so its all good!! even if they aren't Highest graded in the final analysis.  Another aspect is that after YHIS auction copy sets a wild new record, he will have made (on paper) a ton of dough more than it was worth (in our estimation) BEFORE the Promise copy was unearthed graded and sold.  Ive got a few High Grade raws that the Promise copies stole my thunder... so this is my viewpoint on the subject.

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Well, your response about the potential impact of the CGC 9.6 graded copy of the Promise Collection copy of 'Tec 140 on the still raw Church copy of 'Tec 140 is definitely interesting and food for thought, so let's munch into it for a bit here:  :popcorn:  lol

My thinking is that if the CGC 9.6 Promise copy of 'Tec 140 ends up selling for say $250K which some of the boardies are saying here, then wouldn't that mean if the Church copy comes out as a CGC 9.8 graded copy, it might end up selling for something like $325K or possibly even more.  Now, if there was no Promise copy of 'Tec 140 and the Church copy came out as a CGC 9.8, do you really believe it would simply have gone straight up to this same $325K or more price point without first having the Promise copy to lead it higher up to that price point by establishing a new standard baseline?  hm

If the Church copy of 'Tec 140 was a CGC 9.6 graded copy and there was no Promise copy out there, in theory the Church copy would have sold for what it always would have anyways.  So, no real impact on value from my POV  if the Promise copy did not exist.  (thumbsu

Alas, this one I am not sure about since I sadly don't deal in these nosebleed types of books from a valuation point of view.  Now, if there was no CGC 9.6 Promise Collection copy and there were only the original 3 census topping CGC 9.4 graded copies as per the population report, how much do you think the Church copy of 'Tec 140 would go for if it came out graded as a CGC 9.4 and now with 4 census topping 9.4 copies out there?  Now, how much would this same CGC 9.4 graded Church copy sell for if the CGC 9.6 Promise Collection copy does in fact end up selling for $250K and is this amount really $50K less for the Church copy than the first scenario where there was no Promise copy?  (shrug)

Bottom-line:   At least from my personal point of view is that I feel this now highest graded Promise Collection copy of 'Tec 140 will be setting a new standard baseline for all other HG (if not all the way down the entire condition spectrum) 'Tec 140 copies which will ift up their valuations, including the raw HG copies out there like your friend's raw Church copy going forward.  :applause:

Bottom line: a lot of Church books are going to be pressed or repressed again to reclaim that top spot!

40 minutes ago, Aman619 said:

Another aspect is that after YHIS auction copy sets a wild new record, he will have made (on paper) a ton of dough more than it was worth (in our estimation) BEFORE the Promise copy was unearthed graded and sold.

EXACTLY!!!  (thumbsu

40 minutes ago, Aman619 said:

Ive got a few High Grade raws that the Promise copies stole my thunder... so this is my viewpoint on the subject.

I am 100% sure it's a whole ton less than you since I haven't really focused too much attention on this later GA time period, but I am still awaiting the results of a few books from this first batch of the Promise Collection with great anticipation and have virtually no thoughts or much care at all about placement within the CGC Census Popualtion Report. :popcorn:   :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Makes sense to me. And my thinking that this effect will not be limited to the Tec 140

1 hour ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Hard pass :slapfight:. Let’s see how much the Promise Copy goes for 😁

ED494A05-0855-4EC2-90E2-1B59666E6FD5.jpeg

Interestingly enough, the MH copy of Tec 142 is damaged. It has a 1/2” to 2/3” tear on the cover. Probably graded at 8.0-8.5 from what I remember, seeing it 18-20 years ago.

12 hours ago, Timely said:

Bottom line: a lot of Church books are going to be pressed or repressed again to reclaim that top spot!

I can definitely see this happening, but wouldn't this also kind of depends upon when they were originally graded and slabbed?  hm

I believe this whole pressing and CPR game didn't really started to take hold in terms of grading until Heritage arrived on the scene back in 2002 and then really started to ramp up after this so-called "maximization of potential" was outed on these very boards here back in 2005 or thereabouts.  Needless to say, it has now not surprisingly gone absolutely ballistics with the current grading team in place and the former "king of pressing" now in charge of CGC grading.  :(

I remember getting about a dozen or more of my GA books graded and slabbed back in the late spring or summer of 2000 when CGC first opened their doors to check out this new service at the time.  No doubt they were still grading based upon the standards that were in place at the time before they got a chance to "fine tune" them because every single one of the books came back in CGC 9.2 through CGC 9.6, with the only exception being a restored Cap in CGC 8.5.  Clearly they not only gave the PLOD to restored books, but also knocked the grades down for the restoration because visually the Cap was just as nice as all of the other dozen books which I had submitted.  Possibly explains why we see so many nice looking PLODS relative to their assigned grades as CGC has given them a double whammy in terms of not only the dreaded PLOD label, but also a lower grade at the same time. :frustrated:

Anyways, my bet and I am pretty much 99% sure that if I go to submit those same dozen or so books into CGC for straight grading today, with nothing at all being done to the books, they will sadly come back as only CGC 8.0 to CGC 9.2 graded and slabbed books only.  :mad:  :censored:

Damn, anyone see this? A rather nice unrestored Bats 1 back cover ending in a smaller Heritage auction in a few days. Someone must need this to complete their copy or make it more complete. I mean if I had a coverless complete copy I’d be salivating over this! I think this is the first back cover I’ve ever seen at auction, and the first unrestored I’ve seen available. There was a heavily trimmed one on eBay for years. I’m sure people have seen others, but this is the first I’ve personally seen at auction.

6528DB5C-E437-47C0-A49D-4AECDFB5C50D.jpeg

8F617AF9-C4FA-4D1A-84E9-B71BA75599B5.jpeg

Edited by LDarkseid1

I imagine there's still a lot of bidding to go on the non-Promise Collection GA books as I just jumped one up by several thousand dollars, but was still outbid which was actaully not a surprise to me at all, I would have to say.  (thumbsu

7 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I imagine there's still a lot of bidding to go on the non-Promise Collection GA books as I just jumped one up by several thousand dollars, but was still outbid which was actaully not a surprise to me at all, I would have to say.  (thumbsu

I just feel sorry for whoever put up their copy of Seven Seas 6 when they discover that there is NO copy in the Promise Collection. Then they won't have a copy at all of the BEST Baker cover ever. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

11 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

I just feel sorry for whoever put up their copy of Seven Seas 6 when they discover that there is NO copy in the Promise Collection. Then they won't have a copy at all of the BEST Baker cover ever. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

They will if they kept their copy of #4