• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,951 posts in this topic

On 9/27/2021 at 10:32 AM, Aman619 said:

Great leader Up north?  you mean Santa Claus?   seriously, Canada does this?  wow

No, I mean the Grinch who stole Christmas.  :mad:

Sadly Yes, absolutely everything you own in your name that would otherwise be subject to capital gains tax if sold while you were alive, is now considered to be a deemed disposition upon your death and now fully taxable so that you do not need to suffer through those horrendous estate taxes that the poor Americans have to endure.  No need to worry about estate taxes or step up benefits or anything like that up here.  :frustrated:  :censored:

Looking to become one of those poor suffering taxable American citizens before I get booted to that big LCS in the sky, but then I am sure that everything will become a deemed disposition before I even get to cross the border.  :censored:

On 9/27/2021 at 6:07 PM, lou_fine said:

No, I mean the Grinch who stole Christmas.  :mad:

Sadly Yes, absolutely everything you own in your name that would otherwise be subject to capital gains tax if sold while you were alive, is now considered to be a deemed disposition upon your death and now fully taxable so that you do not need to suffer through those horrendous estate taxes that the poor Americans have to endure.  No need to worry about estate taxes or step up benefits or anything like that up here.  :frustrated:  :censored:

Looking to become one of those poor suffering taxable American citizens before I get booted to that big LCS in the sky, but then I am sure that everything will become a deemed disposition before I even get to cross the border.  :censored:

I don't think anyone should be able to inherit anything. Capitalism only works well if the playing field is level—if everyone starts out with nothing. If you earn aot of money and get rich, great, but your kids shouldn't be able to get rich unless they earn it themselves.

but everyones primary goal is the safety and health of their families, especially the children.  That means seeing to their welfare. Passing on as much of your success ought to be possible.. and thats what the estate tax laws are geared to accomplish.  As it now stands, if your estate is less than 11.7 million dollars --- and 23.4 between you and your spouse -- you pay zero estate taxes to the IRS. depending on where you live you might still get hit for state taxes, but only in some states.  The current estate tax law misses just about everyone we know. Its therefore a non event.

But Im curious.  If you got your way, and no one inherited anything, where would the money go?  Youre talking about 100% Estate tax.  A fair way to achieve what you intend to happen would be mandatory trust accounts for all inheritance assets that by law cannot be touched for 40 years or something.  So the kids start with nothing and have to scrap and claw to get ahead, and will have made their fortunes before they reach 40. or will be saved by the trusts fund if they fail!   (of course once a law is passed all the big brains start to work figuring out loopholes.  Like in this scenario, borrowing against the trust assets and spending it down from the gitgo.)  

On 9/27/2021 at 8:07 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I don't think anyone should be able to inherit anything. Capitalism only works well if the playing field is level—if everyone starts out with nothing. If you earn aot of money and get rich, great, but your kids shouldn't be able to get rich unless they earn it themselves.

So who gets what someone had when they die?  Is the new owner determined by a Thunderdome type competition?

On 9/28/2021 at 4:11 PM, szav said:

HA really is king, even in their weeklies.  There were several nice Phantom Ladies in CCs last event auction and they all did really well, but didn't even approach how well these just did.

image.png.7e56685cb6487c396d1919926fa55fd0.png

Oh, come on now...................who wants to be known as penny pinching cheapo bargain basement shopper when you've got the chance to be known as a high end big money first class shopper.  (:

Why in the world would you want that kind of reputation and pay only a piddly $7,088 for a CGC 9.0 graded copy of this PL 18 here with only 5 higher graded copies when you can boast to the entire world that you just spent $8,400 for a CGC 6.0 graded copy of PL 18 with 32 higher graded copies over and above your copy here.  :screwy:

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/28/2021 at 8:50 PM, lou_fine said:

Oh, come on now...................who wants to be known as penny pinching cheapo bargain basement shopper when you've got the chance to be known as a high end big money first class shopper.  (:

Why in the world would you want that kind of reputation and pay only a piddly $7,088 for a CGC 9.0 graded copy of this PL 18 here with only 5 higher graded copies when you can boast to the entire world that you just spent $8,400 for a CGC 6.0 graded copy of PL 18 with 32 higher graded copies over and above your copy here.  :screwy:

Conspicuous consumption dominates the Heritage auctions, that's for sure.

On 10/5/2021 at 6:56 PM, szav said:

Well.... with all that grumbling about lax/easy grading on the Promise Collection books, particularly in the 9.2+ range, CGC could have handled it a number of ways such as:

Plan A - Ignore it

Plan B- Grade Promise books tighter so people stop complaining

Plan C- Gift grades for all new submissions so that Promise Books can no longer be accused of being graded more easily than other books

These are nice books but seeing them given 9.4s kinda takes the shine off what it means for a GA book to get a 9.4.

image.png.d929f670dd7c6a19f66caed917ae894d.png

image.png.3d3ecbe184b8826681945da768355e04.png

image.png.9708e271b5e1e398edb654e7c7f5d26a.png

image.png.248f92c8aa7cf0fb18d069596c2a3fe4.png

There’s sometimes a fine line between knit-picking and an actual issue.  This isn’t anywhere near fine line.  Those books are pretty, but those flaws definitely knock a book down to lower than a 9.4, even if the books are perfect otherwise.  It’s probably okay for quality control to be imperfect for a short time, but they better fix it quickly.

CBCS doesn’t suck.  CGC has brand name recognition for a reason.  But if they’re going to mail it in, there is an alternative.  It’s like Coke introduced New Coke.  If they don’t go back to the same level of quality grading they had before, Pepsi is waiting in the wings.  I wonder what the issue is.  Covid?  There’s something way off.  I’ve never seen them anywhere near this inconsistent.

Edited by eschnit

Well.... with all that grumbling about lax/easy grading on the Promise Collection books, particularly in the 9.2+ range, CGC could have handled it a number of ways such as:

Plan A - Ignore it

Plan C- Gift grades for all new submissions so that Promise Books can no longer be accused of being graded more easily than other books

These are nice books but seeing them given 9.4s kinda takes the shine off what it means for a GA book to get a 9.4.

Can I crack this book and ask for it to be regraded by the same grader that graded those two books.  I don’t expect a 9.9 or anything.  9:8 is all I’m asking for. Top left corner knocks it down from a 10 to a 9.9, maybe 9.8 ;)

EF0165EA-EC6C-49FD-A21F-5103E0CD884E.jpeg

Edited by eschnit

On 10/5/2021 at 9:35 PM, szav said:

Yeah, I continue to point it out when I see it because I'd rather not see CGC ruin their brand, but I do feel like the grading in general has not improved with the successive waves of Promise books, and people are perhaps kind of getting numb to it or just accepting it.

I'm all good with just buying the book and not the grade, but when I see a newly graded 9.0 that looks good for the grade, I begin to wonder what sort of interior defects it has that I can't see...but of course I never crack books, so....  Anyway, my confidence in CGC is going down a bit over the last few months.  I may need to become one of those people that only buys books that were graded during certain date ranges.

I don’t know how many books they grade on a daily/weekly/monthly basis.  I’m sure they grade many many times more modern books than Gold.  Perhaps 5,000 books is a big overwhelming wave of GA over  a short time, in relatively high grade, and they don’t know how to handle it.

Plan A - Ignore it

Just keep in mind that if you raise Cain about the grading they're entitled to raise a white cane in response.  

On 10/5/2021 at 7:21 PM, eschnit said:

I wonder what the issue is.  Covid?  There’s something way off.  I’ve never seen them anywhere near this inconsistent.

I don't think it has anything at all to do directly with Covid. 

If anything, it's more of an indirect impact as Covid has forced most people to stay locked in their homes and hence have a lot more time and money to spend on their collectables like vintage comic books.  No doubt, this rather crazed crypto like increase in prices is resulting in a ton of books headed CGC's way as submittor's are also hoping to cash in on this huige jackpot before it disappears.  Not helped at all with their recent price increase which resulted in so many submissions coming in prior to the deadline that even their online submission system kept crashing that week as it was unable to handle all of the incoming sufmission orders.  :facepalm: :frustrated:  

So most likely nothing more lower quality inconsisent grading due to the overwhelming backlog along with not having the qualified staff to handle it as they are still advertising to fill vacant job positions, including ones for vintage comic grader(s). :(

On 10/6/2021 at 2:22 AM, lou_fine said:

So most likely nothing more lower quality inconsisent grading due to the overwhelming backlog along with not having the qualified staff to handle it as they are still advertising to fill vacant job positions, including ones for vintage comic grader(s). :(

Yeah that's probably it. Overwhelmed and backed up. Can I ask, I know many people think a lot of Promise books are over-graded but in general overall are books submitted by John Q. Nobody getting higher than deserved grades or lower? I know I've submitted a few the past year or so and have received no pleasant surprises when I opened the box(es).

Edited by Professor K