• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
6 6

473 posts in this topic

On 3/2/2022 at 2:19 AM, lou_fine said:

Then again, it was finally nice to see a couple of the Neal Adams Avengers books finally get some loving, especially with the big giant-size classic Neal Adams cover to cover issue of Avengers 93  :luhv:  which at one time was the biggest go to BA Marvel book for collectors to chase down when both Hulk 181 and Spidey 129 were still nothing books at less than a dollar a pop.  :whatthe:

Most llikely a record price with a CGC 9.6 2nd highest graded copy jumping up from something in the $2,800 range in the last minute to finished up at $6,100.  Similarly, the Neal Adams Avengers 94 second highest graded CGC 9.6 copy also jumped up from somewhere in the $800 range all the way up to $3,878 in the last minute of the auction.  Clearly, CL is much more the home base for the CGC label chasers and the more readily accessible recent books (relative to the GA books) who loves to come in the dying seconds of an auction with their snipe bids.  :smile:

That's definitely true. Comiclink was where most of the very common Bronze keys started to go crazy in the past 2 years. Like I said before why bid up or get into a bidding war over a book that at any given day there are many others up for grabs. 

Looking through the round two offerings I saw this, and realized there are brittle pages and then there are really brittle pages. Cover presents okay, except for the registration issues, but essentially that's all one is buying with this copy. If it were mine I'd look for a coverless copy to marry this cover to. 

00178030115000110181744001.jpg

On 3/2/2022 at 11:16 PM, mikefeen said:

It's also impossible to ever know how much factors outside the comic market affect any given sale.  Back in November, crypto was still going to the moon, the stock market was similarly on a major bull run, war in eastern Europe was on almost  no-one's mind.  Even a few weeks ago in the last Heritage auction, there wasn't a war and major stock market instability looming over the sale.  

Even if none of my books get another single bid the rest of the way, my total is already above the number that was going to make me happy, so it's all gravy from here.  That's the great thing about having 315 books in this auction, no single sale makes or breaks it and it should average out in the end.

Is the Planet #19 CGC 7 5 yours, Mike? That book just broke 5k with four hours still to go. (If memory serves, the last copy in this grade sold on Heritage at around this mark last year.)

On 3/3/2022 at 7:42 PM, Straw-Man said:

when i failed miserably at getting the 9.0 spidey 2, to assuage my grief for said loss, i figured i might upgrade a couple/few marvel mystery comics.   let me tell you that they were wild--SHUTOUT AGAIN.

Papercuts can be quite painful, can't they Billy? I sympathise.:foryou:

On 3/3/2022 at 2:28 PM, Flex Mentallo said:

Is the Planet #19 CGC 7 5 yours, Mike? That book just broke 5k with four hours still to go. (If memory serves, the last copy in this grade sold on Heritage at around this mark last year.)

It's mine for a few more hours!  Planets have been jumping up in price all day.  A lot more action through the day for day 3 than there was on either day 1 or day 2.  At least for my books.  Yesterday especially, it felt like all the bids for the entire day were in the last 30 seconds of each auction.

Edited by mikefeen

On 3/3/2022 at 11:57 AM, rjpb said:

Looking through the round two offerings I saw this, and realized there are brittle pages and then there are really brittle pages. Cover presents okay, except for the registration issues, but essentially that's all one is buying with this copy. If it were mine I'd look for a coverless copy to marry this cover to. 

00178030115000110181744001.jpg

Look at how much 'paper' has accumulated at the bottom of that slab.  It will be interesting to see what this goes for (disclaimer: this isn't one of my Caps in this auction).  I sadly never owned a copy of this awesome book.  :cry:

I think the slabbing of books has really give the brittle and slightly brittle books out there a chance of remaining as collectibles a lot longer than they would have if they were still being stored in traditional mylars.  Good chance a book like this would be in much worse shape.

On 3/3/2022 at 10:18 PM, mikefeen said:

Look at how much 'paper' has accumulated at the bottom of that slab.  It will be interesting to see what this goes for (disclaimer: this isn't one of my Caps in this auction).  I sadly never owned a copy of this awesome book.  :cry:

I think the slabbing of books has really give the brittle and slightly brittle books out there a chance of remaining as collectibles a lot longer than they would have if they were still being stored in traditional mylars.  Good chance a book like this would be in much worse shape.

The last copy of Planet #15 I owned had brittle pages. It made me sad to see the slow accumulation of powdered paper accumulate in the bottom of the CGC holder, so I let it go.

On 3/3/2022 at 6:59 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Picked these two up tonight.  Many thanks to @mikefeenif they're part of his huge cohort in this auction.  I failed in my overall goal of keeping everyone else out of this auction and picking up all the Planets, but I'm very, very happy with these :)

Planet Comics - 60.jpg

Planet Comics - 62.jpg

I honestly was considering bidding on both of those, but I am glad I didn't as I am happy for you. Grats!

Myself, I was the underbidder on 3 books including the #2 I tried for. Under bidder twice on the same book hurts ( you beat me out on that Mike when you purchased it)

On 3/3/2022 at 6:59 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Picked these two up tonight.  Many thanks to @mikefeenif they're part of his huge cohort in this auction.  I failed in my overall goal of keeping everyone else out of this auction and picking up all the Planets, but I'm very, very happy with these :)

Planet Comics - 60.jpg

Planet Comics - 62.jpg

Congrats!  Those were two of mine (I think there was only 1 Planet in this round that wasn't mine).  These were two of the better deals, so good job!  If someone was getting my Planets 'cheap', I'm glad it was a boardie!

On 3/3/2022 at 7:04 PM, Artboy99 said:

I honestly was considering bidding on both of those, but I am glad I didn't as I am happy for you. Grats!

Myself, I was the underbidder on 3 books including the #2 I tried for. Under bidder twice on the same book hurts ( you beat me out on that Mike when you purchased it)

You should have bid!  :flipbait:(:

On 3/3/2022 at 7:29 PM, szav said:

I don’t follow Planets generally other than the late run Whitmans… but those generally looked like strong to crazy prices no?

I think yes for most. A few "normal" stragglers