• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Don Rosa Poll - Pedigree or Collection?

Don Rosa Poll - Pedigree or Collection  

630 members have voted

1. 1. Don Rosa Poll - Pedigree or Collection

497 posts in this topic

Hello everybody, I usually do not get on message boards (I am a lousy typest), but i needed to comment about this subject. Collection or Pedigree, 20 years from now this question would never come up. There are 3 criteria for a pedigree...Original owner, bought off the rack, size and quality. with out going into detail, this covers all of the above. This collection someone says has no keys...I beg to differ...ALL COMIC RUNS WERE COMPLETE! Every Key from the mid 60's up is there. All the #1's from the new age of Marvel (Subby, Iron man, Cap 100, Nick fury....) All the DC Keys from the even earlier are there. Don started buying comics off the rack in 1962, he started with DC, and in 1965 started buying Marvel. EVERY MAGAZINE, COMIC BOOK, DIGEST, TREASURY, ARVEL, DC, ATLAS, GOLD KEY, CHARLTON, ACG, DELL....ALL THERE. Just becouse we haven't sold it, doesent mean it doesn't exist. Someone else brought up that TNMT and CEREBUS wren't there, weel that makes since, he wasn't buying in a comic store, and in 1984 when turles came out, you could only buy them at a comic store. I take strong stance on this... Don DID NOT go back and collect these runs, they were all bought off the rack. I would be glad to answer any and all questions about this collection. Steve Ritter and Mark Haspel are currently writing a book on "Comic Pedigrees", and there will be a chapter on this collection. Now as for Dons older comics, they never will and have never planned on being sold as a pdigree. CGC even knows what the seperations will be. Don has Spiderman #1 up, but we will only be selling # 51 (I think thats the 1st one he bought off the rack, I am in CA and the books are in KY), as an actuall Pedigree. Please feel free to email me any question, or ask Steve or Mark at CGC, Don too if you can meet him at a show. Thanks for your time and sorry for the spelling.

Steve Wyatt

I guess I shouldn't comment because to me it's not a huge deal, but I think either way it's a really ace collection and personally I think it's cool to own a comic owned by someone in the business who obviously loves them. From what I've seen the prices are extremely reasonable, it's not like they're just slapping a name on some random books and overcharging.

I don't think you are going to see the raw books anymore and I will let Steve elaborate further. The last rollout of these raw books was at the National -- my understanding is that only the slabs are going to be sold from here on out.

Thi is an amazing collection -- as for keys -- just as an off the top of my head reference, pedigreecomics as the Don Rosa ASM 122 CGC 9.4 up right now.

There are raw examples of these books up for sale -- but they are by dealers who already bought the books from Steve at one of the cons.

Steve, thanks for coming on here and commenting, the DR Pedigree is one of my favorite, simply because of Don himself.

When will the raw books go up for sale besides conventions? Can we buy the raw books from you now? Thanks

I guess I shouldn't comment because to me it's not a huge deal, but I think either way it's a really ace collection and personally I think it's cool to own a comic owned by someone in the business who obviously loves them. From what I've seen the prices are extremely reasonable, it's not like they're just slapping a name on some random books and overcharging.

A nice comic is a nice comic no matter where it comes from. Pedigrees are not a huge deal with me either.

i voted pedigree, i got a daredevil 165 CGC 9.4 white pager from the don rosa pedigree and it is sweet!!! Even though it is such a new book if you place it next to the other NM Miller daredevils i got ---it's just looks superior, the colors on the cover are super rich and the pages are probably the whitest of any book i own from that era! thumbsup2.gif

Interesting thread. I purchased several hundred raw Don Rosa books in both San Diego and then in Chicago. Not the expensive stuff, but many issues ranging from the early 70s to the mid 80s and priced $5-$50. One thing that I wanted to clear up is that NOT every book was graded. At least not graded on the price sticker like most were. The non-graded books however were the books usually selling for $12 or less. Many of these books were priced right at NM- Overstreet guide and I believe many of these books were the ones that were later submitted to CGC that received the 9.6 or 9.8 grades. Obviously going over each of the thousands of this level of book to grade individually by Wyatt would take forever. I recently sent off a dozen of these books to CGC myself and I did not send in anything that I believe would grade less than 9.6. But we're not talkin' keys here. Just run of the mill late Bronze books, mostly DC horror related.

The other thing that I wanted to mention was all the talk of the color gloss, "smell", condition and so on of all these books. Yeah, they are great, no doubt about that. But they are no better smelling, looking, and etc. than the thousands of books I also bought off the rack in the late 70s to 80s. I also went for the best copy, did not read them and carefully stored them for a few decades (although in bags). I'm sure many of you have similar stories. So on that point, I don't really see these books as any different from many of our own books cared for in similar meticulous ways. But Don was/is a well known creator, and if you like the story of this pedigree, then great. But really, the books in and of themselves are not that different than what many of us have in our basements right now that we also purchased off the rack and cared for all these years. The Burntboy books are an example of this, but there are many more out there. I simply bought all mine for resell and slabbing at a later date. But put side by side many other nice books from the same era, I just don't see what the big deal is. I think we just like to "believe". confused-smiley-013.gif

Sid --

Can't say I agree with you. I've been looking for 70s books for quite some time now and on the whole, I have to say that few books have all the things generally true of the Rosa books: strong color, good structural integrity and white pages. Of course there are lots of high grade books out there that aren't Rosas that have these qualities, but as one, complete collection of every title -- I don't think I've seen anything quite like it, and I do think the quality is on the whole much better than most of the stuff I see from the same era. Now when you get into the 80s well... then I'd certainly be leaning more towards your argument.

A nice comic is a nice comic no matter where it comes from. Pedigrees are not a huge deal with me either.

I wish more people thought like you do.

That would leave more Pedigree'd books for me acclaim.gif

I honestly believe that once a book or two come dealing with the lineage behind some of these Pedigree's, more & more people will realise that they are more than just another copy of a given comic. I think that you will find that certain Pedigree's demand multiples in purchase price & this will only continue in the future.

My comments are one sided on this as my love for Pedigree'd books runs far deeper than my wallet allows. sorry.gif

Russ..

Of course there are lots of high grade books out there that aren't Rosas that have these qualities, but as one, complete collection of every title -- I don't think I've seen anything quite like it

No doubt about that. But I believe there are many, MANY small collections out there that are comparable on a book to book basis.

Of course there are lots of high grade books out there that aren't Rosas that have these qualities, but as one, complete collection of every title -- I don't think I've seen anything quite like it

No doubt about that. But I believe there are many, MANY small collections out there that are comparable on a book to book basis.

1970 on for sure. But before 1970, I'm sure that is what distances Rosa from other small collections.

I have to say that few books have all the things generally true of the Rosa books: strong color, good structural integrity and white pages.

I think I picked up about 15 Rosa books.

The cover color, structure and QP are typically excellent. However, I was not blown away by the page color. Borderline W/OW in my view with slight transfer stain on some of the white back covers.

I bought a fear book from the rosa collection for my high grade run. it was 12 bucks and steve wyatt graded it as a NM-(9.2) I sent it to be graded and it got a 9.4. I mean for the cost and the quality you are getting you couldn't get a better deal. I wish I would have bought the rest of the raw fear books That steve had available.