• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC announces NEW Pedigree Labels and NEW Pedigrees
3 3

213 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

that's up next :eyeroll:

or maybe new labels for GA, SA, BA, CA etc ...

or even GOLD labels for highest certified books, SILVER for second, BRONZE for third.

endless ... :eyeroll:

How about a Glow in the Dark label for re-subs that have been pressed a dozen times (where the staple will pop if upon deslabbing and opening the book) with stains removed? 

Edited by bronze johnny

49 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Depends on the pedigree, the book, the condition, rarity just like anything. Some pedigrees are more in demand and some aren't. Many don't sell for any more than a non-pedigree.

For some reason the white mountain labels tend to suck me in when I see them. Maybe because I regularly see “white pages” on their label or maybe I just like the name. Not sure. hm

A5257349-5E07-4819-AAD3-DDCA36C854D2.gif.f6e7d34aa87947ece09d7c12979b63d4.gif

2 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

How about a Glow in the Dark label for re-subs that have been pressed a dozen times (where the staple will pop if upon deslabbing and opening the book) with stains removed? 

As a kid the glow thing was kind of cool but as an adult now I really don’t want my collection glowing at night. I just don’t...4D32246F-B7E2-41C2-B2C2-A17FDC0A4573.thumb.jpeg.64fab9f2e178cf7ba7342872963fbb4c.jpeg 

Edited by N e r V

18 minutes ago, Wayne Enterprises said:

Any ideas what a Batman 181 (1st Poison Ivy) cream to off-white 9.0 Savannah Pedigree would price at? Highest price for a 9.0 sold at $4,999. Lowest was $3,100

The next grade sold was a 9.4 at $7,200 hm 

Put it on Ebay and you will find out exactly what it would go for.

On 7/12/2019 at 8:22 AM, Robot Man said:

Another marketing move to get us to re-sub or get more books graded. Smart move on their part and it will work out great for them

I will most definitely agree with you 100% that CCG is right on the ball when it comes to being a successful business entity, and as such, totally focused on looking for new avenues to max out both their top and bottom lines.  (thumbsu

They certainly seem to have absolutely no problem with creating new additional streams of revenues whereby they can enticed the CGC generation of collectors and speculators to submit the exact book into them not only once for grading, but to happily resubmit it multiple times for an additional fee of course, for whatever latest changes or rationale they can come up with.  Doesn't matter whether it's for pressing, other newly approved enhancements, loose grading, tight grading, unrestored, conservation, undisclosed changes to their grading standards, disclosed changes to both their grading and restoration standards, etc.  The list could go on forever as I am sure this will continue ad nauseam going forward because so much of their customer base keeps falling for it.  :screwy:

Yet, every now and then, the question arises on the boards here as to why some collectors do not bother to get their books slabbed.  The usual answer is that there's no point to slabbing a book until it comes time to sell it.  This latest move by CGC just gives additional weight to this point that it would be much smarter and safer for their pocket book if the customer just submitted and pay to have the book graded only once before resale, as opposed to paying multiple times simply to chase after CGC's latest grading or slabbing iteration.  hm

22 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Definitely smart biz move of CGC to have new labels for Pedigree collections, but it seems what is now considered a pedigree is watered down compared to how it was with a strict crtieria.

22 hours ago, Tbone911t said:

Might look nice in the black and white.

56.jpg

Yes, since it seems that many of these new pedigrees will have books in similar condition as the one pictured above, I wonder if CGC will have to revise their definition as to what a pedigree book is.

Especially the one to do with condition, since I believe some of these new pedigrees would not meet this particular criteria:  hm

• The collection must be high-grade. Comics from the Silver Age in general would have to be 9.2 and higher, and a collection of exclusive Silver Age material must have an average grade of 9.4. Golden Age comics would have to be high-grade as well. For example, the Lost Valley collection consisted of many golden age books from before 1941 that were technically mid-grade, but were almost across the board the highest graded copy for that book. Page quality must be nice as well.
Edited by lou_fine

39 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, since it seems that many of these new pedigrees will have books in similar condition as the one pictured above, I wonder if CGC will have to revise their definition as to what a pedigree book is.

Especially the one to do with condition, since I believe some of these new pedigrees would not meet this particular criteria:  hm

• The collection must be high-grade. Comics from the Silver Age in general would have to be 9.2 and higher, and a collection of exclusive Silver Age material must have an average grade of 9.4. Golden Age comics would have to be high-grade as well. For example, the Lost Valley collection consisted of many golden age books from before 1941 that were technically mid-grade, but were almost across the board the highest graded copy for that book. Page quality must be nice as well.

Would be interesting indeed! I personally do not like this change. We'll see how everyone else reacts to it.

20 hours ago, circumstances said:
On 7/12/2019 at 7:51 AM, bc said:

new_ped_slab.jpg.0fc5a9a67c4ac6ed7ffa523b5eba1151.jpg

Good choice for a demo.

This color match is sick.

+1

Will definitely agree with you that this new all-black label would look good with the all-black or all dark cover books.  (thumbsu

I am just a bit surprised that they didn't choose to go with this copy of Hit 5, as opposed to the lower grade BW copy:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Hit Comics #5 Mile High Pedigree (Quality, 1940) CGC NM+ 9.6 Whitepages....

Or even better yet, they probably should have gone with an as yet unseen dark cover book such as the Church copies of either All-American 61 or Suspense Comics #8.

Now, those two yet to be seen black cover books would have been much more newsworthy in terms of hyping this new label.  hm

19 hours ago, Superman2006 said:
20 hours ago, lou_fine said:

So, what color label do the Restored or Conserved pedigree books get now?  hm

Does the Pedigree Black trump everything else or are we going to end up with quasi black/purple labels for the Restored pedigrees and a quasi black/grey label for the Conserved pedigrees?  ???

Near the top of the announcement pasted on the first page, "Only pedigrees that qualify for a Universal grade will receive the new label."

Well, that's too bad as I think that a nice black and gray combination would be a very appealing blend of colors to have on a label. 

Actually, never cared for their current pale blue as it is just so unappealing cold and a color which seems seems so devoid of life.  :p

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

The actual word pedigree refers more to somethings line or lineage or origins. An original owner collection will fit that description. However people can and do dress up the term to something like “a fine lineage” so it’s a subjective term at that point. 

In comics I don’t think we will ever have a general consensus of what “deserves” to “earn” that term so if CGC wants to do their own list I don’t see it being more correct or less correct than other people’s imagined thoughts of what “is worthy” for the label note.