• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC announces NEW Pedigree Labels and NEW Pedigrees
3 3

213 posts in this topic

Now CGC can save on ink costs by printing in only B&W!!!

I like all of the various labels, but it needs to work with the specific comic.  I'm not sure any of my "pedigree" books will look good with that frame.  And like previously mentioned, I'm going to sit this out until the Newton Rings are fixed.

It'd be fun for CGC to offer a "collection of..." notation and custom logo for any member who has submitted at least 100 books.  More $$$ for CGC!!!  In the meantime, I'll just print my special logo and collection label on an Avery mailing label and slap it on the slab!

2 hours ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

Does this mean ALL File Copies can get this new label?

I've never been able to figure out what a Stan Lee File Copy was in terms of its actual provenance?  ???

Especially since I apparently thought he had stored all of his comic books down in his basement and the basement got flooded one day and that was pretty much it for his comic book collection.  (shrug)

Your point about all of the various File Copies is actually a very valid question.  I know that the Gaines File Copies are an actual pedigree even though there were 12 copies for virtaully each of the books.  Not so sure if the Harvey File Copies would apply any more as I am not sure if that was part of a huge warehouse find or not?  hm

Also not sure about the Poughkeepsie File Copies which I feel should definitely qualify as an official pedigree since they were actual carefully filed office copies, as opposed to a warehouse find.  In addition, a good portion of these were from the late 30's and very early 40's with most of them grading into the 9.0's and above.  Now, from what I saw, those books looked minty fresh for books that are pretty much 80 years old now.  :cloud9:

Edited by lou_fine

48 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I've never been able to figure out what a Stan Lee File Copy was in terms of its actual provenance?  ???

Especially since I apparently thought he had stored all of his comic books down in his basement and the basement got flooded one day and that was pretty much it for his comic book collection.  (shrug)

Your point about all of the various File Copies is actually a very valid question.  I know that the Gaines File Copies are an actual pedigree even though there were 12 copies for virtaully each of the books.  Not so sure if the Harvey File Copies would apply any more as I am not sure if that was part of a huge warehouse find or not?  hm

Also not sure about the Poughkeepsie File Copies which I feel should definitely qualify as an official pedigree since they were actual carefully filed office copies, as opposed to a warehouse find.  In addition, a good portion of these were from the late 30's and very early 40's with most of them grading into the 9.0's and above.  Now, from what I saw, those books looked minty fresh for books that are pretty much 80 years old now.  :cloud9:

One of the examples CGC used in there test pictures was a Murphy Anderson file copy which is what made me assume my Stan Lee file copy might qualify.

This actually sounds rather strange to me as I would have expected them to know right off the bat as to exactly which collection is an official pedigree or not.  O.o

Sounds like this pedigree designation thing might actually still be a bit of a work in progress.  (shrug)

On 7/18/2019 at 4:23 PM, Jimmy Linguini said:

Does this mean ALL File Copies can get this new label?

I want to know specifically if my Stan Lee File copy can be resubmitted for this. Seems cool!

I wouldn't think so. I don't think anyone has considered the ton of Harvey and Dell file copies out there to be a pedigree. But who knows, maybe CGC will start putting them in the new slabs. 

The new pedigree label looks good and all, so do the new Marvel themed labels, but what good are they if they come in a slab with Newton Rings or SCS?

I’m really torn here, I’m interested in seeing if any new pedigree books like the Murphy Anderson File Copies have any examples that would fit in any of my collecting themes. However I’ve had some bad experience lately with NRs and SCS, that make me tempted to just throw in the towel and move on with life. 

Edited by Brandon Shepherd

21 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I wouldn't think so. I don't think anyone has considered the ton of Harvey and Dell file copies out there to be a pedigree. But who knows, maybe CGC will start putting them in the new slabs. 

I would tend to both agree and diasagree with your point here.  Go figure that.  (:

Now, if it was one of these relatively easier to find one of many warehouse file copies from the very late 50's or early 60's such this one here:

Silver Age (1956-1969):Humor, Richie Rich #1 File Copy (Harvey, 1960) CGC NM+ 9.6 Cream tooff-white pages....

maybe not so much, but if it was one of these relatively much harder to find one of one true office copies from the late 30's or very early 40's such as this one here:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Western, Crackajack Funnies #9 File Copy (Dell, 1939) CGC NM+ 9.6 Off-whiteto white pages....

I actually feel this is a pedigree worthy copy and would have absolutely no problem with it being designated as so with the new pedigree label.  :takeit:

On 7/19/2019 at 11:25 AM, Jimmy Linguini said:

I phone and e-mailed CGC and was told I will have an answer next week about if my Stan Lee file copy qualifies for the new label. :wishluck:

Well, did you receive your verdict back from the gang at CGC yet?  hm  :taptaptap:

20 minutes ago, telerites said:

I will most likely regret this post and I so rarely post anything controversial - I dealt with enough controversy, politics and stress at work before I retired but here goes.

While I applaud CGC finally recognizing these new peds, I personally would rather see them concentrate on speeding up TATs, fixing Newtons, adding other materials that can be slabbed like pulps and treasuries (I believe treasuries are graded by Voldy just as these new peds were already recognized by the alien company and I am not touting those other guys as I have posted, their service is dreadful and I was one and done with them), providing grading notes free, and heck even lowering customer costs.  

I suspect the new labels will generate new income with reholders which is great as every for-profit company should be focused on this but instead of moving forward with ventures like this and all the other new labels like the new Marvel label (all of which has added cost), why not fix some of the issues that customers have raised.   CCS also has continued problems which should be addressed.  

Again, kudos for branching out but I also would prefer a company to consider listening to its customers.  

For me, CGC is the only game in town and I will continue to use their services and they have done so much good for the hobby but not forgetting customer concerns should be a main driver along with generating revenue.

Just my early morning thoughts which may be reported, removed, strike-worthy...

Well said.

And if you consider this controversial, may I suggest you never venture over to Comics General?  :roflmao:

4 hours ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:

I don't want to stray too far off topic, but several of you have mentioned Newton rings. I know that was a problem last summer (2018) but I thought it was fixed in the fall? Are they back again?

I really don't believe it was ever fixed completely.  :gossip:

I believe it was a combination of them being able to address the real bad NR examples and the customer base just getting used to the less bad ones which are most likley still a continuing problem every now and then.  I think this is just the new normal and something to be expected if you want to have your books graded and slabbed with CGC.  hm  (shrug)

6 hours ago, telerites said:

I will most likely regret this post and I so rarely post anything controversial - I dealt with enough controversy, politics and stress at work before I retired but here goes.

While I applaud CGC finally recognizing these new peds, I personally would rather see them concentrate on speeding up TATs, fixing Newtons, adding other materials that can be slabbed like pulps and treasuries (I believe treasuries are graded by Voldy just as these new peds were already recognized by the alien company and I am not touting those other guys as I have posted, their service is dreadful and I was one and done with them), providing grading notes free, and heck even lowering customer costs.  

I suspect the new labels will generate new income with reholders which is great as every for-profit company should be focused on this but instead of moving forward with ventures like this and all the other new labels like the new Marvel label (all of which has added cost), why not fix some of the issues that customers have raised.   CCS also has continued problems which should be addressed.  

Again, kudos for branching out but I also would prefer a company to consider listening to its customers.  

For me, CGC is the only game in town and I will continue to use their services and they have done so much good for the hobby but not forgetting customer concerns should be a main driver along with generating revenue.

Just my early morning thoughts which may be reported, removed, strike-worthy...

I asked about types of magazines and pulps at SDCC. With magazines I was told it’s somewhat about their size (standard vs oversized) but inquire first to make sure it’s something they do title wise.

I certainly would like to see them do treasury size at some point but I was told the latest on pulps is still a resounding no. I really do believe that if CGC started doing pulps it really could help both them and the pulp markets. Not like it did with comics but certainly enough to serve themselves and the pulp market with increased interest. I really hope that position isn’t set in stone and gets revisited at some point.

3 hours ago, N e r V said:

I asked about types of magazines and pulps at SDCC. With magazines I was told it’s somewhat about their size (standard vs oversized) but inquire first to make sure it’s something they do title wise.

I certainly would like to see them do treasury size at some point but I was told the latest on pulps is still a resounding no. I really do believe that if CGC started doing pulps it really could help both them and the pulp markets. Not like it did with comics but certainly enough to serve themselves and the pulp market with increased interest. I really hope that position isn’t set in stone and gets revisited at some point.

I have wondered if they do some type of break-even analysis, specifically to determine the demand for moving into other types of media.  I would guess they do.  They do posters (up to a certain size - I could imagine the encapsulation needed if they did a 3-piece poster, twould be huge lol), lobby cards, and most magazines.

I know doing other media may require new slab designs/sizes and also new encapsulation machines too. 

I have sent in items they would slab although they would fit in their cases.  Here a few that were rejected and it would seem like they would grade them.  The Reform School Girl is not the comic but the paperback novel.  I was told since they did not have pictures they couldn't grade them.  The Green Man and Buried World do have some text illos although they are mostly text.  I wasn't expecting them to read the books and the number of pages.  The Reform School Girl paperback is 128 pgs and appr. 7" x 8".  And especially since there a comic produced later with the same cover - it is comic related.

And the other two are similar or slightly smaller than pulps, they are not thick - similar in thickness to the old TV guides that CGC does grade (at least the ones that are comic related).

986895225_reformschoolgirlfront.jpg.b0f8a397c704f91fb6b3975fac083586.jpg

183470760_greenman.jpg.1498adf9266e56301f8c6a81b010249b.jpg

457976085_buriedworld.jpg.90c615fc8e371ec8b5360aaf38e08838.jpg